McKee Foods

www.mckeefoods.com
Profile Unclaimed

current employee

I have been working at McKee Foods full-time

Pros

Good wages and benefits. A family like work enviroment.

Cons

To many people resistant to change. To many people holding on to "sacred cows".

encourage innovation. Encourage people to get rid of their "sacred cows" Don't accept mediocrity and excuses from senior managers. Don't try so hard to coddle those resistant to change. They drag all of us down

Great place to work and build your career

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at McKee Foods as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Strong Executive leadership
    Highly focused
    Treat employees more than fair
    Super nice culture - family/life balance
    Fun products

Cons

No room to advance or it will take a long time
    Tenure is valued over talent. Lots of "lifers" sitting in chairs.
    Slow to move and not nimble in decision making
    Talent vacuum can be heard as great people leave for other opportunities.

Stir up the mix and take risks.
    Eliminate the "leaners" and promote the "lifters".
    Look beyond tenure and look at fresh talent

Great place to work hard.

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

Friendly, encouraging, resourceful and effective.

Cons

there are no cons to share

none

It was great for my first twenty years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gentry, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gentry, AR

I worked at McKee Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They tend to do well in bad economic times. People will always buy cheap snack cakes.
    Stability, many long-term employees.
    Decent pay scale.

Cons

While OD McKee was alive, and while his sons were directly involved in the company, innovation was encouraged and praised. Once the third generation took over, OD's catchphrase "There's a better way. Let's find it!" has been quietly set aside.
    Nowadays, it's run just like any other heartless, clueless megacorporation, with the exception that (seriously) God is claimed to be its ultimate guiding force.

OD made that company what it is. Get back to encouraging and rewarding innovative thinking. Let the grandkids quit thinking like MBA's and get back to thinking like small business owners.

Down with the Debbie cakes!!!!

I worked at McKee Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This was a wonderful company to work for. The environment was positive and everyone was treated fairly. It is a family run company and when you work there you feel like you are part of the family.

Cons

At this company there are a lot of long term employees. This is good in one aspect, but leaves little room for advancement.

Family owned... people care about you

Current Intern - I/S Intern in Collegedale, TN
    Current Intern - I/S Intern in Collegedale, TN

I have been working at McKee Foods as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Its a smaller place so its pretty friendly. Working in I/S is pretty chill for the most part. A lot of the full time employees are older and some are set in their ways, others are not (technologywise). There are quite a few interns that bring youth to the company. Decent pay for interns. Free little debbies all day.

Cons

Too many free little debbies. You'll get fat.
    They don't have many open positions for developers. Most people stay forever at McKee making it hard for new positions to open up.

Ok place to work but need alot of work far as communication between management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stuarts Draft, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stuarts Draft, VA

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

time off, profit sharing bonus, good benefits

Cons

Management needs a major overhaul, and major cuts. Why on earth do we need so many supertindents! Too good to lay anybody off instead will just cut everybodys hours back while the big wigs still get a full paycheck. Just ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!

Work more on getting better equipment into the plants, and focus on cutting down on waste and lean more towards going green to save on costs! not cut back worker hours and keep making price increases to product. This is hurting are volume of cases!!!!

Used To Be A Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Consultant in Stuarts Draft, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Stuarts Draft, VA

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

They have a gym and dental and health (which they've decided we should pay more for so they don't have to)

Cons

I have to constantly tell them about broken or items that are in disrepair, those items get put on "pass down". Which sounds good but the next maintenance shift is just as understaffed as the last.
    We currently have two shifts that are floating among the plant on different shifts because there production lines are dissolved and sharing your line with the "floaters" means up to 2 people must go home everyday to save on efficiency . Employees are getting an average of 32 hours a week or less (depends upon your line). When we asked the vice president what the plan is for getting everybody working again the answer was "we hope to be in better shape in 10 years". which is a cop-out because vice president contracts are for 5 years(based upon work performance by Mike Mckee) Upper management has informed all of management that our plant needs to"clean house" (fire people) So there starting to implement new rules- off the cuff- to start the write up process on as many suckers as possible. The employees have several ideas to save the company lots and lots of money but management won't here it and instead feel its more necessary to take away everyone's job security by telling us the old "do more with less" attitude. Upper management keeps blaming the economy as well for slumped sales. We as employees realize that the economy plays a role but with gas prices and ingredient costs back down it is shameful not to pass those savings on to the customer. Simply by doing so volume sales would raise again. (how bout that , and I've never been to college).

Use common sense, offer incentives instead of threats. Listen to employees for advice in being more efficient, new product ideas, and keep the door open on your "open door policy". Stop keeping secrets from your hourly's. Oh and one more thing how bout deducting a percentage of your salary since we're all tapped out in the hourly department.
    Thanks for reading

Not easy to get information or resource needed to complete job assignment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

People are friendly. It is a family culture. Not too busy with your work. Not too many traveling or over work. Get a C day if work at the weekend.

Cons

Not enough resource to complete job assignment. Sometimes, need to be self-motivated to find works to do to satisfy myself.

A little open-minded management to share resources with your employees. Promote employees from inside which can motivate employees.

excellent place to work

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

The people are great, everyone is respected.

Cons

Some people are set in old ways, but I see things slowly changing.