McKee Foods Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Ok place to work but need alot of work far as communication between management!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stuarts Draft, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stuarts Draft, VA

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

time off, profit sharing bonus, good benefits

Cons

Management needs a major overhaul, and major cuts. Why on earth do we need so many supertindents! Too good to lay anybody off instead will just cut everybodys hours back while the big wigs still get a full paycheck. Just ain't right!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Work more on getting better equipment into the plants, and focus on cutting down on waste and lean more towards going green to save on costs! not cut back worker hours and keep making price increases to product. This is hurting are volume of cases!!!!

Used To Be A Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Consultant in Stuarts Draft, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Stuarts Draft, VA

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

They have a gym and dental and health (which they've decided we should pay more for so they don't have to)

Cons

I have to constantly tell them about broken or items that are in disrepair, those items get put on "pass down". Which sounds good but the next maintenance shift is just as understaffed as the last.
    We currently have two shifts that are floating among the plant on different shifts because there production lines are dissolved and sharing your line with the "floaters" means up to 2 people must go home everyday to save on efficiency . Employees are getting an average of 32 hours a week or less (depends upon your line). When we asked the vice president what the plan is for getting everybody working again the answer was "we hope to be in better shape in 10 years". which is a cop-out because vice president contracts are for 5 years(based upon work performance by Mike Mckee) Upper management has informed all of management that our plant needs to"clean house" (fire people) So there starting to implement new rules- off the cuff- to start the write up process on as many suckers as possible. The employees have several ideas to save the company lots and lots of money but management won't here it and instead feel its more necessary to take away everyone's job security by telling us the old "do more with less" attitude. Upper management keeps blaming the economy as well for slumped sales. We as employees realize that the economy plays a role but with gas prices and ingredient costs back down it is shameful not to pass those savings on to the customer. Simply by doing so volume sales would raise again. (how bout that , and I've never been to college).

Advice to Management

Use common sense, offer incentives instead of threats. Listen to employees for advice in being more efficient, new product ideas, and keep the door open on your "open door policy". Stop keeping secrets from your hourly's. Oh and one more thing how bout deducting a percentage of your salary since we're all tapped out in the hourly department.
    Thanks for reading

3. Not easy to get information or resource needed to complete job assignment

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

People are friendly. It is a family culture. Not too busy with your work. Not too many traveling or over work. Get a C day if work at the weekend.

Cons

Not enough resource to complete job assignment. Sometimes, need to be self-motivated to find works to do to satisfy myself.

Advice to Management

A little open-minded management to share resources with your employees. Promote employees from inside which can motivate employees.

5. Terrific employer who places great emphasis on people.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

Competitive salary, profit sharing, competitive benefits, work environment that encourages growth and development, open forum for new ideas, family owned company

Cons

many decisions are still made anecdotally and are not fact based, current culture does not tolerate or adapt to change very well

Advice to Management

Many tactics that contributed to getting us where we are today are still relevant. However, our industry is changing very rapidly, and we should evaluate every aspect of the way we do things to make sure our business model stays relevant. Look for opportunities to capitalize on our brand strength outside of our current product portfolio.

6. It is wonderful GOD has blessed me to have found a home

Current Employee - CMO in Collegedale, TN
    Current Employee - CMO in Collegedale, TN

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

They have been very good to me i get overtime and I put 2 kids through college with their help,I would never want to work anywhere else.The McKee's have been like family,I never been afraid to ask anything because the worst that can be said is no.I tell everybody how good they are and if stores don't carry our product I don't shop there.

Cons

The only thing I can say is we have ppl there that aren't bosses but sure think they we are all equal at Mckee's.

Advice to Management

I wish they could back yrs ago and tell the ppl if they don't like working there instead of not doing there job,don't let the door hit them on the way out.

7. I have loved working at Mckee Foods.

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

Good wages. Medical Benifits. Family owned and operated. Christian owned.

Cons

I can not think of any.

Overall good, but dysfunctional management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegedale, TN

I worked at McKee Foods

Pros

I can't speak for the manufacturing operations, but in salaried business process areas, it is a relatively good company to work for. They are very good at hiring and retaining excellent people, so there is plenty of talent and a "nice" atmosphere is valued and maintained.

Cons

There is more than the typical amount of management dysfunction. Silos of authority are sacrosanct causing logical absurdities.

Advice to Management

Hire some good management consultants to totally redesign the management structures of the company, then implement at least most of the recommendations.

Centralize Information Technology authority and implement a cohesive IT strategy throughout the company.

Life long growth with a family owned company

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

Trust respect family values fullfilment of goals growth. This is a company with people value and core values to be the best

Cons

The business is changing all the time we need to react to promotion activity and new item introductions. look at competition closer

Advice to Management

distributor incentives need to be more meaningful Fuel cards for incentives. New items need more promotions. Core items need to be run more often with deeper discounts

10. excellent place to work

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

The people are great, everyone is respected.

Cons

Some people are set in old ways, but I see things slowly changing.

11. Pretty good place to work.

Current Employee - Production Employee
    Current Employee - Production Employee

I have been working at McKee Foods

Pros

Mckee has decent medical insurance. They also pay a fair wage. They are very health conscious. They provide a clinic and a health coach and also extra programs for health and fitness.

Cons

Some lines have to work on Sundays, which I consider part of the weekend, A day to spend with family.

Advice to Management

Management wants your input on reducing waste...then they change the rules and Want you to waste product, without getting any input from the employees...Senior Management wants employees to train on different jobs...than the supervisors won't let anyone train on their line, because of labor, then when employees want time off...they can't have subs. With some of the lines being so slow and employees not getting their hours, this would be the best time to train.

RSS Feed </> Embed