McKesson Canada Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.4

McKesson Canada President Nick Loporcaro
Nick Loporcaro

Dynamic and challenging, for both the work and the people

Former Employee - Technical Engineer  in  Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Engineer in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Because the HealthCare IT field is always changing and updating, there was no shortage of learning new technologies which made the job exciting. The wide range of clients with their different needs, hardware budget also meant that you need to stay sharp and think on your feet to deliver what the Sales team had promised the customer. Management was willing to work with you to try to come up with best schedule and workload that suits both the business and you.

Cons

Due to budget constraints, changing market, sales expectations, sometimes the aforementioned work/life balance simply does not happen. While I can certainly sympathize what the business needs it also meant some compromises on my personal life in order to meet those goals. I did learn lots while I was working there but just felt that some of those learnings came at a cost of personal time and happiness.

If there is more transparency as to the direction or potential changes to the business to the employees perhaps this will give them more time to adjust (either knowledge-wise, or personal time-wise)

My experience at Mckesson overall was favorable.

Former Employee - Safety Management  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Safety Management in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best reasons to work there are working independently and setting your own schedule to suit the needs of your customers as well as your travel schedule.

Cons

The challenge is sell whatever you can today and don't be concerned about tomorrow philosophy. Sometimes that is not in the customers best interest and can be a detriment to the relationship you developed.

Quite often Management in the field is reluctant to support their reps when it is needed and when it counts
    the most.

Massive layoffs across Canada, employees struggle to feed families, yet CEO John Hammergren has a $159 million pension

Former Employee - Manager  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You'll feel like you're part of a huge corporation and if you work really hard, you'll get a slice of the pie.

Cons

In my opinion, top management sees its hard working employees as oranges and once all the juice is squeezed out, a restructuring is announced and a year later employees are replaced with younger and juicier oranges. Why sacrifice your health, your life and your happiness to make a billion dollar corporation more money? The company has no soul and doesn't care about you. Yes, you are being exploited. Stop for a second and realize what life is really about. I see so many day-to-day striving to succeed and so proud of empty and soulless corporate accomplishments that it almost belongs in a comedy skit. Employees are brainwashed to think it is virtuous to work until they are exhausted and almost burnt out. Get out of the meat grinder and find happiness and true balance in your life. Life is short and it is not about giving the best of yourself to a corporation. Your family, friends and children won't be around forever, so enjoy loving and spending time with them now. Just stop and instead of investing your energy in a huge corporation to gain some warped sense of self-worth and accomplishment by bragging how hard you work, invest in yourself by daring to find out what life is really about. Looking back, you'll have no regrets.

Find your moral compass.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Keep looking

Former Employee - Multiple  in  Regina, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Multiple in Regina, SK (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

sad to say after 20+ years not really anything.

Cons

Management has little to no training on encouraging or motivating staff. Employees promoted based on buddy system rather than qualifications. I watched multiple CEO's come and go with inflated salaries while the average employee/manager live with 1-3% increase per year. Pension plan is poor, benefits are terrible except for dental. Work environment is toxic.

invest in training for middle to entry level management. I have worked for one of Canada's top 100 for 6 years after leaving Mckesson and Mckesson is still in the dark ages

While working at McKesson I was always challenged and busy.

Former Employee - Distibution Manager  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Distibution Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits and pension are quite good and there is opportunity to work over time. It is a very respectful workplace with many nationalities working within McKesson.

Cons

Budget constraints made it difficult at times to complete tasks on time. Business continued to increase but we were mandated not to hire any more personnel.

I don't completely agree with corporate downsizing in the face of gaining new customers and workload. This is not logical and will affect the customer's satisfaction and longevity at some point in the future which could adversely affect the company as a whole.

Diversity ? .. what a Joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing really. There is always a lot of talk about advancement, but nothing ever happens.

Cons

Never acknowledge the work that you have done. The upper management just look for ways to boast about themselves and look for ways to let the people under them go.

Don't hire someone and then let them go or force them to leave due to poor upper management. THINK hard before you let go of employees who help transition in some of your large clients.

Great environment where you can grow!

Former Employee - Senior Information Security Analyst  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Information Security Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great environment to work with
    -You can learn a lot
    -Customers and Employees are put first

Cons

I didnt find any cons during my work period there.

ok but not competitive salaries

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

large company, benefits, stable industry, been around a long time, industry leader for the moment.

Cons

salaries low compared to other large corporations, pay increases not great and benefits package average for large company, not great.

stop telling us that are salaries are in the average pay scale for large corporations. I left for same job in company half the size and started at 25% more than Mckesson AFTER 4 YEARS! Compare yourself to other large corporations like IBM, Xerox etc and you will see way off for supervisor salaries.

promises promises promises

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

stable company with just average benefits
    regular clientele
    just average salaries with minimal increases
    RRSP contribution plan
    leader in the industry
    great place for lazy managers
    large corporation experience for your resumé

Cons

high turnover all over canada
    very poor human resources principals
    almost no room to grow unless you are protected or know somebody personally in the company
    everyone gets same salary increase good or bad
    no flex hours nor working from home
    very old outdated computer system for large corporation (not even a SAP system)
    often abolish jobs and replace them regularly
    poor communication within the company
    no real pension plan compared to other large corporations
    high sales but poor profit margin
    numerous fines in North America

compare yourself to other large corporations and you will see the difference.
    maybe one day you will make the top 100 employeurs in canada but will take alot more than the way you are now.

Great people to work with until labor disruption

Former Employee - Warehouse Operations Supervisor  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Operations Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at McKesson Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and salary from the start.

Cons

Unionized environment - they think they own and run the company

Listen to your supervisors and support them.

Worked for McKesson Canada? Contribute to the Community!