McKesson Reviews

Reset
2.9
McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • Very concerned about a healthy work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• I was a work from home employee which was a desire of mine (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is awful - you are expected to work above 40 hours a week to be considered a "normal" contributor (in 24 reviews)

• A lot of churn in upper management (in 29 reviews)

Intecompany Accounting

Current Employee - Texas in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large corporation experience; Great industry to be in

Cons

Less internal promotion opportunities; too many layers of management

Policy changes needed

Former Employee - Accounting Analyst in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mpower points, holiday parties, discounted movie tickets.

Cons

I was a full-time/direct hire employee but I hated how this location (I don’t know what it’s like at their HQ in San Francisco) treated their contractors, especially when there were so many of them. Soon after I was hired, there was a Christmas party that the site threw for their employees. Well, the contractors were also invited but they made them get in a separate line from their regular employees. I was so dumb founded because I went downstairs where the event was at w/ my friend/colleague who was a contractor (she and I started work on the same day). I just couldn’t believe she and the other contractors had to stand in a different line, even to get their lunch!!! What is this, apartheid??? I know it’s not race related but it got me so upset that they would segregate them like this. Then they weren’t given stupid bento box gift w/ the company logo on it, and $25 Target gift cards. And it’s not just this incident, they are not allowed to partake in department meetings, even though they also have access to financial information. And they weren’t allowed to get free pizzas on one of the site events. C’mon, two slices of pizza isn’t that expensive, and what are you doing to the moral of the Carrollton site when you treat your workers (granted they technically work for the contracting firm) like second class citizens? I mean most of them, if not all, want to work for McKesson as a full time employee. They probably took those jobs just to get their foot in the door and now they have to suffer humiliation at a work place? Give me a break! This isn’t the only reason why I left the company, but it speaks volume of the management philosophy when you treat people like you know what!

Advice to Management

What’s the point? it’s not like they listen. They conducted a 1:1 interviews with their employees (at least our department) through a 3rd party company but nothing had changed for at least 10 months that I was there. They never conducted an exit interview on my last day (don’t ask me why) but called me more than 6 times after I left for an exit interview over the phone. I would have called back had I thought it was going to change anything, and I really didn’t have anything positive to say at the time.

Too many changes

Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good, Flexible work schedule and the ability to work remotely two days a week

Cons

No clear career path, too much change. Two layoffs in the last year. Morale is low because no one knows if they will be next. Used to be a great place to work. Three departmental reorganizations in six months time.

Carrollton office - not much promotion opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and regular schedule. Most people are pleasant to work with.

Cons

There are not much growth opportunities at a shared services location. The few spots that do have promotions are typically given to people who are "favored", and that favoritism is blatant and demoralizing for the rest of the team.

Advice to Management

Don't be so blind to to favoritism. It is clear there are people who are promoted are not the brightest or the most hard working.

It has been different.

Current Employee - Accounting Associate III in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate III in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

The fact that you get to work from home, some days of the work is a great thing for me, I have small kids, and that works perfect, they have lots of room for growth, you can move up in the company fast well. I like the fact that they promote healthy living, they have a space on the inside for you to walk and stay active.

Cons

I don't however like how they treat temps, they treat us like were nothing, and we don't even exist, they don't include us or anything, with all the job openings in the departments that people are temping they don't offer the temps that opportunity to e become a full-time employee, its almost like you are invisible, they only they notice you is when you don't come in, then they are worried because you are not doing there work for them. There is a lot of messy drama in the work place very stress to the sense you feel that you may lose your job, if you don't kiss behind practically I almost quit because of all the bickering when i first started but I hung in there, after working here these last several week I see that nothing has changed and it never will, if you are a temp DO NOT WORK FOR MCKESSON- BUT IF YOU ARE GETTING FULL-TIME YOU WILL BE FINE. They need to hire people to train the temps you pretty much just get throw-ed out there with no direction or course to take, they teach you bits and pieces of information, and by the time you learn that you contract is up.

Advice to Management

MANAGEMENT HAS NO SENSE OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING THEY HIRE THESE NW SUPERVISOR, WHO DRESS INAPPROPRIATE, WHO DO THINGS UNPROFESSIONAL, I HAVE SEEN TEMP GET LET GO BECAUSE MANAGER DID NOT LIKE THEM, BUT THEY WERE DOING THEIR JOB EFFECTIVELY, AND WAS GETTING PROMPTS FROM THE SUPERVISOR AND THE TEAMMATES BUT THEY LOST THEIR JOB FOR NOTHING. MANAGEMENT NEEDS TO SIT DOWN AND LOOK AT THE REAL ISSUES WITHIN EACH DEPARTMENT, BECAUSE THE VIBE THIS COMPANY GIVES OFF IS YOU HAVE TO KNOW SOMEBODY THAT KNOW SOMEBODY EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AS A SUPERVISOR - UPPER MANAGEMENT THERE IS SO MUCH TURMOIL AND MESSY THINGS GOING ON YOU DON'T EVEN CARE ENOUGH TO SAY ANYTHING, AND THAT IS WHY YOU CAN'T KEEP TEMPS, BECAUSE HOW YOU TREAT THEM, AND THE WAY YOUR SUPERVISOR HANDLES THEIR BUSINESS.

Great benefits but no room for advancement.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson

Pros

Great benefits including health insurance, PTO, flex schedules, holidays, facility, company events, promotes charities.

Cons

Too bureaucratic with excessive time spent on politics and creating metrics instead of creating efficiencies. Alot of waste from poor communication and duplication of efforts within the organization. Impossible to advance within the organization.

Advice to Management

Work on Silo reduction and definition of organizational and department responsibilities to create efficiencies.

Out with the old ...in with the new- College Grads Paradise

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks, great employee programs, better than average pay, work-life balance.

Cons

Occasional layoff/restructuring discarding long term seasoned non-degreed employees over recent grads. Majority of Management is under 40 and inexperienced. Insurance has high deductible and then percentage pay- which is costly on meds- again for the young and healthy- Company grew beyond technology so now technology has layered obsolete programs. Corporate greed on this cash cow has led to recent outsourcing to India.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and your people will take care of you. The very people you are giving the boot- your senior and tenured employees just happen to be a large part of your end customers. Your sales are in the US- don't you think your workers should be too?

McKesson Shared Services

Current Employee - Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and laid back atmosphere

Cons

Low pay, no promotability, work atmosphere is outdated and dull, leadership does not value talent, nepotism, extremely political, too many layers of management, low morale, depressing to see workers that are truly unhappy. Upper management is clueless.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your workers at all levels and genuinely understand them.

The job experience has been rewarding, but also very disappointing at the same time......

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

McKesson is big on employee development. Various training classes are offered and some are even mandatory. We currently have Dallas Baptist University coming on-site to provide college classes that go toward employees obtaining a Bachelor degree.

Cons

My only problem with this company is the pay. The yearly raises are a joke. Your performance review can be above expectation, but the raise doesn't keep up with the average cost of living increase per year. Promotion salaries have also yet to meet expectations. They seem to find these people that are happy with having a title and a sense of belonging, but are fine with barely being able to pay the bills.

Senior Manager of Accounts Receivable

Current Employee - Senior Manager AR in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager AR in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company with ICARE Principals

Cons

Current Outsourcing positions out of US

RSS Feed </> Embed