McKesson

McKesson Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren

John H. Hammergren

Pros:
  • "Very concerned about a healthy work life balance"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Benefits went down hill, more concerned about the bottom line, no work-life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

McKesson Pharmacy systems and Automation Help desk

Help Desk Coordinator II (Current Employee)
Livonia, MI

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than a year

ProsLocated in Livonia MI, Great group of people to work with the job is very face paced.

ConsLittle room for advancement, more management structure, poor business plan, poor salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to and understand employees and what is good for the job. Many people are leaving this position accepting offers from other places for the same work but higher pay.

Good Company, Great Product, Too much process and paperwork

Implementation Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Software, Great people, fair compensation, Good work/life balance. I would go back for the right opportunity.

ConsIf you're great at your job, you may have trouble getting promoted. There's a lot of internal process and paperwork and more micromanagement than one should have to endure.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees do the job you hired them for. The micromanagement and paperwork are morale killers. Go back to salaries and you'll save money or quit worrying about OT and improve job performance. You can't have both.

Exciting and Challenging

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInnovative leader in the healthcare industry. Excellence is a true value of the organization. Learning opportunities to maintain skillsets are very good. Telecommuting opportunities are offered in positions where appropriate.

ConsWork-life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove quicker to make decisions.

Worked for almost 9 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFellow employees and clients were great to work with.

ConsCompany has changed and is more about making money than doing what's right for the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork - life balance. And treat your employees as people rather than a statistic.

Customer Support Analyst

Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed the fact that they were innovative. Always looking for ways to improve customer relations.

ConsUpper level management did not seem open to ideas of general population.

Fun group of people!

Senior Software Eng (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than a year

ProsThe learning experience is quite formidable, but well covered. You are given time to learn, with classwork.

ConsRapidly shifting landscape as the healthcare industry shifts and things within the companies are changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some internal meetings with people that know how to do the job. Ask them questions and listen.

Big company culture

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall company stability, stock performance

ConsTypical bureaucratic challenges expected of a large company (IT, HR, etc.)

Layoffs coming

Westminster, CO

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompensation package is fair. Not great but not bad. Probably the best part is the stock purchase plan. The stock has moved in the right direction for some time has served many well.

ConsI have mentioned for years the faults with the Clinicals product but no one listened and now the product will be phased out soon. Of course it's not that simple but if a little guy like me could see the issues then surely management could. Why they decided to let the product fail and acquire a competing product to replace it appears to be purely financial. I'm very marketable and will have no issue moving on but others should know how this company operates. If you go to work for them it should be purely selfish because this company does not care about you. It cares about the stockholders. Get the most pay and education out of them that you can and always be prepared to move on.

One thing that proves my point is the 10 managers I had in seven years. It is hard to push the ideas up the chain when the chain keeps getting broken. The leadership at every level (lower, mid, director and VP levels) changes every 12-24 months I'm assuming these people are the "smart" people and know things won't last so they "get there's" and move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I thought management would be in place long enough to implement change I would have plenty of advice but my experience is it will change in six months. So I guess my advice is to stay put. Own this thing. Don't just do for the bottom line but do because it's the right thing.

Senior Applications Developer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McKesson

ProsGood pay, fair bonuses, great employees, nice location.

ConsBenefits went down hill, more concerned about the bottom line, no work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring for the employees' lives. Stop sending jobs overseas.

Not the Company culture you want

Director of Ops (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge company, decent benefits but expensive

ConsHard work Is not recognized, upper management get huge bonus every year and hourly workers are lucky to get 1.5 percent raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Don't make decisions in a vacuum.

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKesson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McKesson CEO John H. Hammergren. All 451 reviews posted anonymously by McKesson employees.