McKesson Information Solutions Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
3.2

McKesson Information Solutions President John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • Work life balance is up to you as the employee (in 10 reviews)

• Can work from home in some jobs (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is something that is constantly a battle, and there is next-to-no potential for career growth (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of turnover at the senior management level (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Developer two years at McKesson

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson Information Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good medical insurance. Good work life balance. They offer training for different technologies. My group works with up to date technologies. The company has cons but no worse than any other company I've worked at

Cons

Poor communication. When I need information, it can be hard to find the person in the know. The large size of the company makes getting anything done a huge ordeal.

Improve your communication and processes.

Not the worst but could use some improvement

Current Employee - Manager  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson Information Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

• Each business unit within the company goes by its own rules so a review of the company as a whole would not be very beneficial. I worked for the Managed Services Organization.
    • Good Benefits overall; decent PTO offering and excellent tuition reimbursement program
    • Good training and advancement potential but your results may differ as it varies greatly by business unit
    • Excellent severance package - but if business run correctly should not have been necessary

Cons

• 4 rounds of layoffs over the past 12 months - very diminished morale and stress for remaining employees
    • A lot of silos, poor cross business unit collaboration
    • Questionable promotion decisions. During my time saw a lot of people get promoted "by default" and are the ones who generally were not the most qualified or best choice - but is this any different in any other company?
    • Constant organizational changes – again in my view this is occasionally necessary but as frequently as is done shows that earlier decisions not well vetted out.
    • For most managers performance management is a formality with no true meaning - goes back to many of the people promoted should never have been and those that are need formal training on leadership principles.
    • Use of most recent technology and processes is lagging a bit but not as much as in some other companies I have seen
    • Talent acquisition process is poor especially for internal applicants
    • Used to have pretty good work-from-home philosophy but more recent leadership is reversing that trend (which is the wrong direction)

Improve on promoting the right people for the right role. The ones who can spout the most BS get promoted leaving the real workers discouraged. Make sure those promoted receive appropriate training in leadership.

Nationwide cooperation lacking, but otherwise good place.

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Roseville, MN

I worked at McKesson Information Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Severance, compensation, PTO, safe work environment.

Cons

Inter-office cooperation, professional development, constant organizational changes create fatigue.

Be more stable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I worked at McKesson Information Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

McKesson is a very large company and is generally very stable with benefits and compensation that are near market rate. They delivering EHR systems to our customers which help provide healthcare for patients.

Cons

McKesson is but it is organized in silos and it is often very difficult to work with other teams. Their technology stack is rather dated (e.g. Oracle 10g -- with no plans to upgrade!) and they are very averse to innovation or enhancements to products. They are often more deadline driven in their release process rather than results of feature driven.

A Great Place To Work

I worked at McKesson Information Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great management. Very good environment. People are encouraged to share ideas and opinions without fear. Very good pay. Great work life balance. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Technology in some areas is a bit behind, especially for such a big company. This may prove to be a negative when trying to market products. Also no time or money to explore new technologies, and do new development.

Be open to exploring options to develop new products with new technology. This keeps the people working there in that area feeling good about their careers.

I had a wonderful experience.

I worked at McKesson Information Solutions

Pros

The benefits are top-notch and the office culture is very team-oriented. The time-off policies are as expected for an IT company. Training is limited to their own products and vendor training is tough to get hold of.

Cons

Work/life balance is something that is constantly a battle, and there is next-to-no potential for career growth. It is common to be asked to work outside of your role due to no job descriptions or role/responsibility definitions.

Management can do better with job descriptions as this would seed improvements for both promotions and growth. There seems to be a very rigid way of aligning current talent with current roles, and no paradigm for matching talent/skills with other opportunities in the company.

Great company to work for

Pros

Culture is employee focused, lots of room for career growth. There is always some reorganization on but that is the case of any large company. Work life balance is up to you as the employee.

Cons

It is bigger than the titanic so can be complex and difficult to navigate.

Learned a lot about the nature of the business

I worked at McKesson Information Solutions as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good salary and smart people to work with. Old, stable company.

Cons

Old facility, and working environment where it is very hard to advance. You need to join some click to go climb the latter in the company.

Provide more opportunities for advancement in the company.

Most Dysfunctional Company I've worked for...no comp plan 5 months into new year...contracts impossible to produce -

Pros

Great place to work while you look for a better job...some great people - pushed to their limits

Cons

Don't expect a realistic approach from management - totally out of touch with reality

I enjoy the people I work with and the team I am assigned. My Supervisor is one of few I would recommend to work under.

Current Employee - A/R Reimbursement Specialist  in  Clinton Township, MI
    Current Employee - A/R Reimbursement Specialist in Clinton Township, MI

I have been working at McKesson Information Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job experience, flexible work hours, paid time off, medical benefits, no weekends, no holidays

Cons

low wages, not many opportunities for advancement.

re-evaluate employee pay, stop hiring family and relatives (too many employees are related)

Worked for McKesson Information Solutions? Contribute to the Community!