McKesson Medical-Surgical

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.2

Stanton McComb

Pros
  • Benefits are great including stock purchasing plan, 401k match, health, dental, and life (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits (as a single person w/o any medical issues my coverage was excellent) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • With some key components to the merger coming down the line work life balance has been atrocious (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Work-life balance is done well at McKesson

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Because of the size of the company, there is lots of opportunity to shine and promote growth. Cross-training with others is readily available, which allows for better coverage of processes.

Cons

Offered a decent starting salary, but not much room for negotiation. It may take a little longer to work up to a more desired salary.

It's good to have a manager who does not micromanage, but without being too hands off.

McKesson is a wonderful company to work for.

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical

Pros

McKesson is very involved in keepimg their emplyees healthy and involved in the community. Their online resources are fantastic, and management is open and encourages feedback from their employees.

Cons

With the company being so large, there are a lot of formal processes that are in place to obtain assistance from other departments.

When there are heavy needs for subject matter experts, seriously consider additional staffing to increase resource availability, instead of burdening one person to carry the load of many.

Best Years of My Career at McKesson

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Resources of a large, Fortune 14 parent company combined with the more specific focus of our Medical-Surgical business unit. Financial stability. Track record of success in meeting goals. Lack of pretense; senior executives are authentic and approachable. And very, very smart! Talented people to work with. Compensation is market competitive. Advancement opportunities for those who demonstrate results, leadership, drive, etc. I have worked for several other Fortune 500 companies prior to McKesson and have 25+ years in the workforce overall. I know a good gig when I have one; McKesson is a great employer.

Cons

Growing pains. The recent acquisition of PSS World Medical has almost doubled the size of the Medical-Surgical business unit. The "small company within a huge company" feeling is receding. The corporation overall is trying hard to standardize policies, processes and systems across all the business units, including Medical-Surgical, to reap the benefits that size and scale afford. This makes business sense, but It feels much more bureaucratic every day. They need to stay aware of being too inflexible and arbitrary. Also - the Richmond HQ building is not a desirable place to work. It is dingy, dirty, low end finishes, not enough meeting space, poor HVAC, etc. Hoping we move!

Keep doing what you're doing overall. Stay authentic and stay connected.

Awesome company to work for if you like a challenge!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No chance of running out of work to do... this company is ever-changing with lots of acquisition activity. Integration projects for ALL! Very flexible work environment; career growth opportunities, good company values and a great management team.

Cons

Agree with some previous comments about departmental silos... even team silos within the departments! This hurts us at times when information is not proactively shared among team that work together or are dependent upon one another.

Great company to work for. Good benefit.

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, health insurance benefit, learning opportunity.

Cons

Management structure is too segregated. Lack of cooperation from one department to another.

No Politics

Current Employee - Management in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Richmond, VA

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No politics, decent work life balance, good people, very solid senior management team. Pay is competitive and benefits are generous.

Cons

Cautious to make changes, PSS merger is going to be tough, pretty boring... those under 30 won't find it very fun. The office in Richmond is ugly and if you want nice furniture and pretty art, work elsewhere.

Make decisions faster and take a few risks.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Triage RN in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Triage RN in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKesson Medical-Surgical

Pros

I work from home and enjoy not having to commute, dress or put on make-up in order to keep up appearences. I also live in a state that does not have a high rate of pay for my type of position but McKesson pays as well as working in a hospital would pay. My supervisor is very supportative and it is nice to feel a connection even though we telecomute and work over the telephone. The work challenges my intellect rather than my physical abilities. It is in some ways a more difficult job but keeps your mind working and sharp.

Cons

Lack or personal contact with my peers. It is sometimes lonely to work in an enviroment that is isolated from your peers and supervisors. Having an instant messaging system to "talk" with others helps some but not having someone present in the room can be disconcerting at times. I do enjoy having the room to myself at home with no distractions but it can be boring when the job demands are not as intense as other times. Also not personally knowing your peers makes it hard to relate to people at times. When there is a crisis on the telephone, having someone there to help you through it would be nice.

Ease up on some expectations. At times it is difficult to get a process completed in the time given due to patient demands on time.

McKesson is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical

Pros

The flexibility and rewarding pay helps leads a comfortable life

Cons

Tied to the job 24/7

Don't forget about the little guy and everyone makes a company succeed.

Always treated fairly and worked with many good people.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. I felt that I had plenty of opportunities to grow with the company.

Cons

Sometimes you feel like a number, but I suppose that's typical of a large corporation.

Nothing that I can think of at this time.

Merger

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at McKesson Medical-Surgical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PSS was recently acquired by McKesson. This has led to some great strategic positioning of the company making it by far the leader in this market. The absolute best part of the acquisition is the fact that the company has taken an objective approach to each company's processes and moved forward with the best one. Benefits are great including stock purchasing plan, 401k match, health, dental, and life. Work can be very fulfilling as you can see direct results of your labor. There isn't a day that goes by in this fast paced, always evolving company that has good leadership and tends to see trends prior to the competition. It always feels good to be on the winning team, and there is no indication that this segment of the company will be losing anytime soon.

Cons

With some key components to the merger coming down the line work life balance has been atrocious. There's no plan that management has put into place to make anyone believe that this type of environment will ever get better. Resources are needed in key areas that are not being funded and the whole division is wondering if this is how life is going to be from here on out. The company is hitting goals, growing tremendously, and bigger than it has ever been. However, a new commission plan has been rolled out to the sales team at a volatile time and has the sales team questioning the motives of upper management.

Provide employees with some assurance that work life balance is important to management. Culture could use a revitalization as it has been lost since the merger.