McKesson Medical-Surgical

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stanton McComb

McKesson is a wonderful company to work for.

ProsMcKesson is very involved in keepimg their emplyees healthy and involved in the community. Their online resources are fantastic, and management is open and encourages feedback from their employees.

ConsWith the company being so large, there are a lot of formal processes that are in place to obtain assistance from other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen there are heavy needs for subject matter experts, seriously consider additional staffing to increase resource availability, instead of burdening one person to carry the load of many.

Best Years of My Career at McKesson

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsResources of a large, Fortune 14 parent company combined with the more specific focus of our Medical-Surgical business unit. Financial stability. Track record of success in meeting goals. Lack of pretense; senior executives are authentic and approachable. And very, very smart! Talented people to work with. Compensation is market competitive. Advancement opportunities for those who demonstrate results, leadership, drive, etc. I have worked for several other Fortune 500 companies prior to McKesson and have 25+ years in the workforce overall. I know a good gig when I have one; McKesson is a great employer.

ConsGrowing pains. The recent acquisition of PSS World Medical has almost doubled the size of the Medical-Surgical business unit. The "small company within a huge company" feeling is receding. The corporation overall is trying hard to standardize policies, processes and systems across all the business units, including Medical-Surgical, to reap the benefits that size and scale afford. This makes business sense, but It feels much more bureaucratic every day. They need to stay aware of being too inflexible and arbitrary. Also - the Richmond HQ building is not a desirable place to work. It is dingy, dirty, low end finishes, not enough meeting space, poor HVAC, etc. Hoping we move!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing overall. Stay authentic and stay connected.

Awesome company to work for if you like a challenge!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsNo chance of running out of work to do... this company is ever-changing with lots of acquisition activity. Integration projects for ALL! Very flexible work environment; career growth opportunities, good company values and a great management team.

ConsAgree with some previous comments about departmental silos... even team silos within the departments! This hurts us at times when information is not proactively shared among team that work together or are dependent upon one another.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for. Good benefit.

Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTuition reimbursement, health insurance benefit, learning opportunity.

ConsManagement structure is too segregated. Lack of cooperation from one department to another.

No Politics

Management (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsNo politics, decent work life balance, good people, very solid senior management team. Pay is competitive and benefits are generous.

ConsCautious to make changes, PSS merger is going to be tough, pretty boring... those under 30 won't find it very fun. The office in Richmond is ugly and if you want nice furniture and pretty art, work elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions faster and take a few risks.

Great place to work

Triage RN (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsI work from home and enjoy not having to commute, dress or put on make-up in order to keep up appearences. I also live in a state that does not have a high rate of pay for my type of position but McKesson pays as well as working in a hospital would pay. My supervisor is very supportative and it is nice to feel a connection even though we telecomute and work over the telephone. The work challenges my intellect rather than my physical abilities. It is in some ways a more difficult job but keeps your mind working and sharp.

ConsLack or personal contact with my peers. It is sometimes lonely to work in an enviroment that is isolated from your peers and supervisors. Having an instant messaging system to "talk" with others helps some but not having someone present in the room can be disconcerting at times. I do enjoy having the room to myself at home with no distractions but it can be boring when the job demands are not as intense as other times. Also not personally knowing your peers makes it hard to relate to people at times. When there is a crisis on the telephone, having someone there to help you through it would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on some expectations. At times it is difficult to get a process completed in the time given due to patient demands on time.

McKesson is a great company to work for!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe flexibility and rewarding pay helps leads a comfortable life

ConsTied to the job 24/7

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the little guy and everyone makes a company succeed.

Good place towork

Prosvery collaborative and consensus orientated

Consspeed of getting things done

Mostly positive experience working here over past 7 years.

Network/Desktop Systems Specialist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

Pros-Good people.
    -Stable company
    -Performance and talent focused organization where you can build a career.

Cons-Advancement can take a long time and often requires the right connections rather then high performance and skill.
    -Benefits continue to get worse every year and more expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you take care of your skilled, hard working employees, they will take care of the companies in the years to come.

Great!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsPeople are great to work with.

ConsInsurance and benefits could be a little better and easier to sign up with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Worked for McKesson Medical-Surgical? Contribute to the Community!