McKesson Reviews

Reset
3.2
McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • Very concerned about a healthy work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• I was a work from home employee which was a desire of mine (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is awful - you are expected to work above 40 hours a week to be considered a "normal" contributor (in 24 reviews)

• A lot of churn in upper management (in 29 reviews)

1. Fantastic

Current Employee - ESR Applications Support in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - ESR Applications Support in Warwick, RI

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Great people, Healthy Environment, career wise the BEST

Cons

I really don't see any thing

Advice to Management

Need a Canteen

2. Great place for those starting out in a corporate career!

Current Employee - Financial Accounting Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Accounting Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Prior to the HBOC merger debaucle, McKesson was a great and authentic "old school" corporation and I say that with praise to the corporation! Very structured and provided a good "boot camp" for entry level managers or those new to the business world. I grew in my career at McKesson and learned a lot from seasoned managers. Great HR structure. Wonderful middle management who got business done, but respected employees.

Cons

Salary is somewhat middle to middle-low in contrast to industry standard. A little bit behind the times in certain areas, but catching up rapidly in areas of information technology.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and stay the course in maintaining the "old" McKesson values in a "new era".

I'm proud to work at McKesson.

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Great business sector that's virtually recession proof. Diversified company. Great balance sheet. Overall high customer and employee satisfaction ratings. McKesson is the leader in several categories (e.g. largest distributor of pharmaceuticals and medical & surgical supplies in the U.S.)

Cons

Large company so change is often slow. Incompetence is all too often rewarded with promotion. Weak marketing department (it's really more of an advertising department than a classical marketing department..)

Advice to Management

Streamline the product line. There are too many overlapping products and not even the sales staff figure out when to sell what. Devote more resources to R&D. Innovative products require an up-front investment without an expectation for ROI for 2-3 years.

Good company on the road to great

Current Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Excellent company with good people to work with who care about doing a good job

Cons

Pockets of opportunity for prormotion. If you aren't in the right place you will have to move

Advice to Management

Not all divsions are equally well run. Divisions with problems need a few well thoughtout well comunicated initiatives that every employee nuderstands and supports

I have loved my internship at McKesson

Current Employee - Project Manager - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Great people willing to take time to help and teach new things, great experience, learned a lot about pharmacy

Cons

The company seems very disjointed among business units. There isn't really a "One McKesson" even though they are making efforts to change this. It's almost like there are several small companies under the "McKesson" title but they don't work together or communicate at all.

Advice to Management

None. My manager has been the ideal boss.

Becoming an expert in certain products and supporting them

Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at McKesson

Pros

You get a great understanding of how certain products work. They transitioned into a new team set up in support where you get to actually get to meet the clients you will be supporting.

Cons

McKesson is really bad about getting recruiting information back to you on time. They recruit seasonally so if you have an offer in the Fall when you graduate in the Spring, you have to make the decision to 1) accept the job and back out or 2) take a chance and reject the offer

Advice to Management

I worked with 5 managers and a director. All of them are on the same track of what to do in their department. They all are very qualified to lead McKesson continuously in the right direction.

8. McKesson Provider Techonologies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at McKesson

Pros

MPT provided an atmosphere where doing your best will get yo noticed. I really enjoyed the closeness of the persons within that division. MPT is a place where I would definitely go back to in the future if the opportunity came about.

Cons

I feel that the salary gap between persons within the same position could have been closed some. Person's performing the same job should be compensated relative to the job being performed.

Advice to Management

Always be aware of how your staff are perceiving the choices being made by management. You should be aware if there are some feelings of unfairness within the organization.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Salary, benefits, flex time, very competent colleagues.

Cons

Tiny cubes, not much leadership from mgrs because they must react to senior mngt whims, senior mngt rotates in/out every few years, employee performance system is more obligatory than it is useful.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice workplace quality of life on the alter of expense cutting. Realize that some costs carry very important intangible benefits.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Good people, flexibility (work remotely), good products and management that listens and is willing to change. Compensation is only average.

Cons

If you don't like management, just wait a bit, it's always changing and there will be another next "great" idea.

Advice to Management

Speaking from the trenches, more leadership and less management is needed. Communicate on products and trends -- pretend we are ALL in sales.

It has been an excellent place to work

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Good pay 6 weeks of PTO 401k Match Good choice of health benefits Good ability to move within the company It's not a sweatshop I have worked for this company for 13 years. It was my first job coming out of college. I was thrilled to be hired. Thirteen years later, I still think that it's a great place to work. The environment is friendly and it's not a sweatshop. As with most jobs, your mileage may vary depending upon your manager. Also, the layoffs are humane. They bring in people to help with finding you a new job and let you sit at your desk for a month finding a new job.

Cons

Job turmoil Job education not as good as it used to be Some parts of company are not making money If you like your job, the worst thing that you can think of is to be laid off. McKesson Information Solutions in Alpharetta is constantly moving and shifting because some parts of the company do well while others do not. Many projects get "sunsetted" because they are not competitive. It's upsetting to have to change jobs every 3-5 years. The one part of the company that is making money hand over foot is Managed Services, so if you can find a job in that organization, do it. Also, the education part of McKesson used to offer in-classroom training. These days, those training rooms are ghost towns. I learned a lot during the in-classroom training and it helped my career 100%.

Advice to Management

Re-hydrate the in-classroom training, especially the technical training.

Showing 949 of 1,001 reviews