McKesson

Updated January 30, 2015
3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 48 reviews)

• I was a work from home employee which was a desire of mine (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

GREENVILLE, TX division: Not the McKesson that I am familiar with. Stepped back in time when I entered this division

I have been working at McKesson full-time

Pros

Mckesson Corporation world wide has a excellent reputation as leaders in their specific industries.

Cons

Greenville TX - Management and systems are antiquated. Employees too afraid of losing their jobs to speak up in regards to much needed changes in operations and work flow. Pay rate is at poverty level. Many employees work two jobs and are on some type of government assistance to survive (I.E. food stamps, government assisted housing) Work force is roughly 85-90 % women. Another 45% with 2.5 children to support. Very sad and unnecessary. The benefits are very good if these people could afford them. How do you put a roof over your head, food on the table and maintain a mode of transportation at $9.00/per hour?
    Management's interface with employees is prison guard mentality. Upper management (term used loosely) are in positions as a result of longevity vs experience and education. Shocked on a daily basis of how this division is managed. The McKessons that I've had interface with over a 20 yr period is absent in the Greenville, TX division. Current management does not have the experience or education to make the needed changes.

Evaluate and streamline work flow and computer system. Bring this division up to the standard of other McKesson workplaces. Bring in new management that enhances and empowers your workforce. There are wonderful people here. Given a small amount of attention and encouragement this division could be as uplifting as the McKesson newsletters that they read. Management should be a tool in guidance and empowerment, not oppression. This management style was found to be non-productive in the 60's. McKesson Greenville, TX needs a CHAMPION. The employees don't need another speech about how profitable we've been, when it's been it their expense. The last address to the employees was so condescending and delivered as if he were speaking to children that I contemplated walking out.

horrible management

Former Employee - Account Receivable Specialist in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Account Receivable Specialist in Lewiston, ME

I worked at McKesson

Pros

steady paycheck and flexible schedule

Cons

There's no clear leadership. I had three managers, I had to beg them to fix my payroll three times, they simply forgot to submit it and thanks to my persistence I got paid on time. You never get feedback unless you make a mistake and if you do make one no one tells you how to fix it.

off site management needs to clear out all leadership and replace with college graduates

Left within less than a year

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

discounted movie tickets and holiday parties

Cons

gosh, where do I begin...
    I don't know about the corporate office in S.F. but do not go work at the Carrollton, TX site.

management and hr totalitarianism.

Former Employee - Technical Implementation Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Implementation Engineer

I worked at McKesson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good salary is a smoke screen once in management will make you physically sick

Cons

Management is hostile to employees. There is no work life balance. Management is eliminating regular full time employees and hiring contractors. Management is eliminating the STAR and Horizon Product line.

Hospitals are leaving McKesson to go with the competition Epic or Cerner, and rightfully so.

McKesson is trying to implement Paragon as the solution, but that is going nowhere, since the sales are not there.

Management preaches the ICARE (integrity, customer centered, accountability, respect, and excellence) principle, but management DOES NOT adhere to them.

Very unhealthy place to work. You will be working long hours, nights, weekends, with NO thanks. And PTO is non existent. Management expects you to work during your time off.

Follow your own ICARE prinicples and treat employees with respect.

One Word – Underwhelming

Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is really hard to think of pro’s for this company since there is nothing that really stands out for me

Cons

This pertains to the legal department specifically. I have never seen so much lack of communication and collaboration among employees of the same department. If you are a ‘go getter’ and like to get work done this is not the place for you - stay away and learn from me. I wish someone would have told me this. If you like to navigate lots of politics and feel like you are twisting arms to get people to work with you, then this is your place! My team was cold and no one shared information with me. I really did try to like McKesson, but the culture, type of employees it attracts [don't think outside the box], and management style is just not my cup of tea!

Management needs to embrace change in culture. Break the mold, get employees to work together, communicate, collaborate, and give middle managers the authority or resources they need to better their team. The General Counsel needs to meet with each of its sub groups within legal and identify areas the General Counsel can assist with to better McKesson’s legal department. We are one team - act like it from the top!

The worst employer ever

I worked at McKesson

Pros

Nice benefit perks and nice luncheons.

Cons

Low pay and very unprofessional management and upper management.

Treat your employees better. Afterall they are the ones that are bringing in revenue for the company.Learn better communication strategies instead of yelling at employees.

MPT not a good place to work

Current Employee - Services in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Services in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Formerly this was a supportive inventive culture that encouraged new ideas allowing for growth.

Cons

Merger of Horizon and Paragon put worst leadership
    Possible in charge. Horizon is not the go forward product for a reason. So now that nasty culture and leadership is running the company in the ground. Where is Jim Pesce when we need him? His leadership team is nasty and clueless. We list some of our best and brightest in the layoff. You kept some of our worst performers making the rest of us work harder.

Clean leadership house. You kept the wrong people. The horizon way is why there product is not go forward EMR and customer base hates them. Wake up
    Or we all loose soon.

Horrible employer, especially the Vancouver, WA office.

Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off, Medical Benefits, Flexibility

Cons

Pay, Leadership, Poor office Moral

Upper management needs to be more respectful and knowledgable in the processes the staff does on a daily basis. They do not know how much time and effort payment posting, charge entry, A/R, credentialing, or refunds take. All you get for your hard work is more work to do. Employees who slack off get work taken away from them and it is handed to the hard working ones. They say that you can get tuition reimbursement, but it has never been approved. Even for employees who are seeking education in their current positions. There is not much that can be approved because of certain managers who will not think rationally. I will be leaving this company asap.

Many people that work in this office have second jobs and/or get help from state programs.

Horrible

Current Employee - Contract Accountant in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Contract Accountant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and benefits and benefits

Cons

This company is a micro-managing, cliquish, nepotism company. The managers/directors/vice presidents should all be fired and new management should be hired to help the morale in this company. No growth potential unless you are in the in crowd.

Quit.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The people there are really nice.

Cons

No training program or material. I was left there to figure out the job with little aid. I was hired as a contractor and was told not to return after my 3rd day. No valid reason was given. I received a phone call telling me to not return.

Communicate better with new hires.