McKesson

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 48 reviews)

• I was a work from home employee which was a desire of mine (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Left within less than a year

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Carrollton, TX

I worked at McKesson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

discounted movie tickets and holiday parties

Cons

gosh, where do I begin...
    I don't know about the corporate office in S.F. but do not go work at the Carrollton, TX site.

management and hr totalitarianism.

Former Employee - Technical Implementation Engineer
    Former Employee - Technical Implementation Engineer

I worked at McKesson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good salary is a smoke screen once in management will make you physically sick

Cons

Management is hostile to employees. There is no work life balance. Management is eliminating regular full time employees and hiring contractors. Management is eliminating the STAR and Horizon Product line.

Hospitals are leaving McKesson to go with the competition Epic or Cerner, and rightfully so.

McKesson is trying to implement Paragon as the solution, but that is going nowhere, since the sales are not there.

Management preaches the ICARE (integrity, customer centered, accountability, respect, and excellence) principle, but management DOES NOT adhere to them.

Very unhealthy place to work. You will be working long hours, nights, weekends, with NO thanks. And PTO is non existent. Management expects you to work during your time off.

Follow your own ICARE prinicples and treat employees with respect.

One Word – Underwhelming

Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Legal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is really hard to think of pro’s for this company since there is nothing that really stands out for me

Cons

This pertains to the legal department specifically. I have never seen so much lack of communication and collaboration among employees of the same department. If you are a ‘go getter’ and like to get work done this is not the place for you - stay away and learn from me. I wish someone would have told me this. If you like to navigate lots of politics and feel like you are twisting arms to get people to work with you, then this is your place! My team was cold and no one shared information with me. I really did try to like McKesson, but the culture, type of employees it attracts [don't think outside the box], and management style is just not my cup of tea!

Management needs to embrace change in culture. Break the mold, get employees to work together, communicate, collaborate, and give middle managers the authority or resources they need to better their team. The General Counsel needs to meet with each of its sub groups within legal and identify areas the General Counsel can assist with to better McKesson’s legal department. We are one team - act like it from the top!

MPT not a good place to work

Current Employee - Services in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Services in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Formerly this was a supportive inventive culture that encouraged new ideas allowing for growth.

Cons

Merger of Horizon and Paragon put worst leadership
    Possible in charge. Horizon is not the go forward product for a reason. So now that nasty culture and leadership is running the company in the ground. Where is Jim Pesce when we need him? His leadership team is nasty and clueless. We list some of our best and brightest in the layoff. You kept some of our worst performers making the rest of us work harder.

Clean leadership house. You kept the wrong people. The horizon way is why there product is not go forward EMR and customer base hates them. Wake up
    Or we all loose soon.

Horrible employer, especially the Vancouver, WA office.

Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off, Medical Benefits, Flexibility

Cons

Pay, Leadership, Poor office Moral

Upper management needs to be more respectful and knowledgable in the processes the staff does on a daily basis. They do not know how much time and effort payment posting, charge entry, A/R, credentialing, or refunds take. All you get for your hard work is more work to do. Employees who slack off get work taken away from them and it is handed to the hard working ones. They say that you can get tuition reimbursement, but it has never been approved. Even for employees who are seeking education in their current positions. There is not much that can be approved because of certain managers who will not think rationally. I will be leaving this company asap.

Many people that work in this office have second jobs and/or get help from state programs.

Horrible

Current Employee - Contract Accountant in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Contract Accountant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and benefits and benefits

Cons

This company is a micro-managing, cliquish, nepotism company. The managers/directors/vice presidents should all be fired and new management should be hired to help the morale in this company. No growth potential unless you are in the in crowd.

Quit.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are really nice.

Cons

No training program or material. I was left there to figure out the job with little aid. I was hired as a contractor and was told not to return after my 3rd day. No valid reason was given. I received a phone call telling me to not return.

Communicate better with new hires.

Politics at it's worst

Current Employee - Order Puller in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Order Puller in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at McKesson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the Maple Grove MN location, most co-workers were great and we watched out for each other and helped each other. I believe this is what you called team work.

Cons

The top guy was afraid of his shadow and did not enforce policies equally. If you were a female you could just about commit murder and not be disciplined. If you were a guy and brought a problem to this manager he would twist it so you were the bad guy.

Enforce policies equally, take the blinders off.

Pittsburgh office not so good

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at McKesson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits that is all

Cons

terrible supervisors And uprofessionalism and terrible pay.would not recommend this company to anyone that I know the I care statement is not being followed

managers need to learn how to interact with their employees instead of coming down on them and yelling and screaming at them when they provided no proper training.the CEO needs to look at who is running his businesses and seeing that they are driving the employees away.

Overall O.K. Experience. Not Really.

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

Many and plenty Nice Break Room. Terrible overall experience . I would not recommend anyone attempting to go anywhere

Shove It