McKesson Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 42 reviews)

• Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at McKesson

Former Employee - QA Analyst IV  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst IV in Seattle, WA

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros and Cons depend on where in the world you work. I worked in Seattle, WA, US it was overall good experience before they decided to close offices

Cons

Senior managers should not buy businesses only to close them a few years later...very shortsighted decision making...

Program Manager

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

Breadth of product line and depth of impact to health system. Size of company gives it ability to offer great prices/terms to its customers. Company recognizes importance of field based employees and tries to promote synergy across sales teams. Benefits are good.

Cons

A very large company. Every March seems to offer layoffs/cutbacks to get the financial cost target management wants. Veteran McKesson employees are at an advantage in being considered for future opptys regardless of what mission statement says vs those from a newly acquired company. Personal Growth is entirely driven by individual as management does not have much to offer here.

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable  in  Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Greenville, TX

I have been working at McKesson part-time for less than a year

Pros

On the job training.
    Encouraged community service.

Cons

Some leaders could provide better leadership.
    Hourly wages could be better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company, poor pay scale

Current Employee - Medical Coder
    Current Employee - Medical Coder

I have been working at McKesson full-time

Pros

Offers excellent PTO, however, must use by year-end or you lose it. Medical/dental/vision/RX small portion paid by employee. Education reimbursement offered. 401k partially matched. Management works well with employees to balance home/work hours, flexible.

Cons

The biggest CON would have to be McKesson' s salary policy. They pay their remote coders based on the location they live in, instead of experience or performance. EXTREMELY UNFAIR that a new coder can and does get paid more than a seasoned coder just because of the address!!

Great Work Place Environment

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge company with plenty of different career opportunities

Cons

Huge company.. Difficult for advancement

Horrible employer, especially the Vancouver, WA office.

Current Employee - A/R Specialist  in  Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid Time Off, Medical Benefits, Flexibility

Cons

Pay, Leadership, Poor office Moral

Upper management needs to be more respectful and knowledgable in the processes the staff does on a daily basis. They do not know how much time and effort payment posting, charge entry, A/R, credentialing, or refunds take. All you get for your hard work is more work to do. Employees who slack off get work taken away from them and it is handed to the hard working ones. They say that you can get tuition reimbursement, but it has never been approved. Even for employees who are seeking education in their current positions. There is not much that can be approved because of certain managers who will not think rationally. I will be leaving this company asap.

Many people that work in this office have second jobs and/or get help from state programs.

Informationall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are just starting to work good experience.

Cons

Good benefits, great company values, Management needs to improve and very hard to get a raise or promotion.

Try harder to get to know your employees not only the ones you be with after work.

Don't work here as a contractor.

Current Employee - AR/Collections Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - AR/Collections Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Low stress, high-productivity environment. Nice people. Decent culture.

Cons

Full-fledged employees may have a different experience, but being a contractor is miserable. The miserly wages, the complete lack of benefits, PTO and other perks makes for a seriously raw deal. They say you can take overtime, but in practice you're strictly disallowed from doing so.

Oh and don't believe their promises to convert you to a permanent position. My predecessor was here for 18 months without an offer. He finally left once he realized this job was going nowhere.

If you absolutely MUST take a contractor position here, keep feelers out the whole time. You never know when you'll be out on your butt.

Pay your contractors more and adhere to a more strict time limit on the positions. If you're going to convert, convert. If you aren't, don't. But don't jerk people around like you do. It's disgraceful.

Also, for the love of god don't discuss how cheap and disposable contractors are in front of contractors. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

The most unorganized place I've every worked; they embrace mediocrity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at McKesson full-time

Pros

Pay is pretty good. The schedule is pretty flexible for those of us lucky enough to be full time employees. Working from home is also an option for several days a month. Since documentation is not maintained, we are not held accountable for mistakes as much as we could or should be.

Cons

No documentation tracks decisions or development processes. Development is able to determine how the software should work. There is no reason for lower and middle management to be honest about development and testing issues. Anyone who is truly honest about progress will not be promoted. Contractors with little experience are added to our projects on a regular basis.

Develop strict SDLC policies and enforce them. Demand honesty from our managers and develop great software rather than strive to meet delivery dates to the detriment of our customer base.

Medical coder

Current Employee - Medical Coder  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Medical Coder in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

No cons, great company to work for.

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!