McKinley, Inc.

Updated December 16, 2014
3.9

McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Pros
  • You get paid, you get bonuses, benefits are good, PTO is good, people are nice (in 13 reviews)

• They don't overwork you and have a great work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't make sure you shut down when you're at home it's difficult to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue what is really going on at the site level (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

I love McKinley

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at McKinley for a long time now and absolutely love my job. I've been able to watch our company grow and have been given an opportunity to grow as well. One thing true about McKinley is that if you work hard and produce, they'll take care of you. My job was very entry level years ago and I managed to get noticed and promoted. Those entry level jobs used to be like $9 and hour and now they lead the market in pay. Albert is a excellent CEO. He visits the properties, knows the employee's and does a good job making every one feel valued. The regionals have changed a few times but have always been good to us.

Cons

Lots of work and just now starting to get more fun stuff integrated onto the sites. Corporate use to get all that and now we're being able to do more and more.

Nothing I love McKinley

McKinley Lifer

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coming to work for McKinley was the best choice I ever made. I love everything about my job. I get to work with great people, we have support from our leaders, the pay is great and the benefits are very good. We've gotten early bonuses for great NOI results and they do a good job of recognizing us for our hard work. I'm planning on retiring from McKinley.

Cons

I don't think there cons, but you definitely will work hard. Managers are held to very high standards and that's why the pay is so high. It is hard work but it is very rewarding. We get to make real decisions and a real impact on the communities and the praise from the residents is worth it. Reading these reviews on here from people that left the one thing I can say is you either love it or hate it. There hasn't been one person I've worked with who has left or been fired that didn't make sense to me. McKinley is definitely different but I love working here. Just know your gonna work hard and that's why the interview process is so hard, the pay is high, and the opportunity to move up and show yourself off is there.

I don't really have any I love my job and an thankful for everything.

Fun Job

Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Mckinley. The pay is very good and I absolutely loved the team I worked with. Our manager was amazing and she really made everyone feel valued. The culture was fun.

Cons

Rush season is absolutely crazy. Be ready to work hard. It can be kind of hard to move up and there isn't formal promotion plans.

Consider hiring more people during rush season.

Sales

Current Employee - SSA in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - SSA in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing! McKinley is the best. I haven't worked for a company before that has cared this much about it's employee's. The pay is incredible for salespeople and the benefits are great too. There's a ton of online training and plenty of support both from on site and off site people. I really enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

There really aren't many. Sales coverage is lean so sometimes that leads to inconsistent days off, but it also means more opportunity for commissions, so how can I complain about that? I'd rather make more money anyways especially during busy season.

Communicate more. There is so much great stuff going on, we'd love to know more.

FIVE STARS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange City, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange City, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

McKinley is a five star company!!! Without a doubt!!! We get to work with great people everyday and make a difference for our customers. There is lots of praise and rewards for a nice looking property and taking care of customers the McKinley way. Good pay, good benefits, good bosses. I'm happy.

Cons

Its hard work and the expectations are high but not unable to be achieved. If you want to just show up and coast while earning a paycheck this isn't for you.

Visit us more!

Good Company if You Care

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

McKinley is a company that has a vision: to provide excellent customer service in all things. As part of providing excellent customer service, you are sometimes expected to go above and beyond the normal job responsibilities to provide the "WOW" factor McKinley wants. If you can get in line with this vision, you will be successful. If you cannot, you will not last long. This is something McKinley advertises up front, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone either currently with the company or looking to be employed by the company. I personally love the atmosphere of trying to provide the best customer service possible, and challenging myself to "WOW" everyone who walks through my door has provided me with plenty of opportunities to shine and grow as an individual and as an employee.

99% of the people you meet in this company are going to be open, up-front, and honest with you. They will genuinely care about you, your job, and your success, because by working as a team we all succeed. The 1% of people who are not like that - well, they happen, and McKinley does a pretty good job of making sure they don't last long or that they change their ways.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, the rush season means everyone is overworked, stressed, and needing time off. During that time, it is extremely difficult to have any sort of work/life balance because there is too much to do, not enough staff, and not enough time.

I love the company and the values, but rush season is a horrible time of year, without enough staff to provide support. Maybe consider hiring more part-time sales people or administrative assistants to help everyone out, so there isn't this crazy hectic running back and forth going on every day.

McKinley, Inc. Response

Nov 11, 2014Vice President

Wow! Thank you for this amazing feedback. It's great that you're having such a wonderful experience at McKinley and your commitment to customer service is very much appreciated. Thank you as well for ... More

Run away! Very short lifespan with company, most leave after a few months.

Former Employee - Sales Leasing Agent in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Leasing Agent in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, some backstabbing, and undermining to get ahead.

Cons

Short notice if you make one mistake, you are Gone. Very little respect for the staff. Money is not what i was told to expect.

Be nice, and listen to both sides of a story, and be truthful.

Not Trustworthy Company

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean work environment. Location. Surrounding area near by are great. Keurig machine and co-worker .

Cons

*Poor Training. There is no real training program in place.
    *Company appears to be bigger than it really is. Runs like a small new company
    *Pay- To low for the amount of work asked of you. Was given an offer in writing when hired and it was reneged after 2 weeks on the job. With taking away commissions. No way to make the money I was promised I would make. I am a professional Executive with great work experience and a top sales achiever.
    *Marketing- Poor you are the only source by placing Craigslist ads all day. They need to hire someone to do this. Ridiculous Demand for a sales associate. you have to pitch and catch your for your sales.
    *Very high turn over in all staffing onsite. Great Property Manager. She has left company now also.
    *Would no recommend to anyone who is a real professional in their career.

Pay needs to be Higher for what is expected of an Employee
    Need a more official training program
    Higher a Marketing Director
    Be truthful about Salary and don't flip flop on offers. If not you appear to not be a trustworthy company to work for.

Good Bye Experienced Managers

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On paper, McKinley looks like a great organization. We are awesome, We will train you, You Rock! The job postings and online image are amazing.

Cons

Reality is an entirely different story. Good experienced managers are being fired for minimal mistakes that are out of their control. Managers are asked to travel extensively with a total disregard for a work life balance. When managers ask to scale their travel back, or to travel closer to home, they are pushed aside and are given excessive feedback and managed out of their positions. In experienced managers are hired to bring in a fresh start, and so that McKinley can train them to the "McKinley Way". No property management experience, no problem. We will fire an experienced manager and you can replace that person.

Don't believe the positive reviews on this site. HR and leadership members are asking everyone they feel will provide a positive review to write one here. The turnover is staggeringly high. When going through the interview process, ask how much of the turnover is voluntary versus involuntary.

Stop taking advantage of people. Stop making people travel so much. No one will tell you that they want to scale back their travel because they are afraid of losing their jobs. People want to be treated with respect and they want to learn. It's not fun to come to work and constantly fear for your job.

Great company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working for Mckinley. I really feel supported working here moreso that other property managers I've worked for. Budgets are reasonable and goals are clearly defined. Regional is flexible and understanding and they pay well so its not hard to keep your staff. Good benefits good culture. Hard to get into with lots of interviews which was a con when interviewing but a pro when your in. Now I know why it was so hard and love it.

Cons

Property managers should be more involved in budget process. Computer systems are dated and hard on remote.

Just keep trying to improve.