McKinley, Inc. Reviews

Reset
3.2
McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and I couldn't be happier (in 13 reviews)

• They don't overwork you and have a great work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't make sure you shut down when you're at home it's difficult to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management are not professional (in 11 reviews)

Proud to be part of the McKinley team

Current Employee - Human Resources in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in the Corporate office, I don't get to see our site-based teams often. When I do, I am consistently impressed by their strong work ethic, outspoken opinions and excellent results. Residents are referred to by name, not number and our team members truly care. I am proud to work with people who succeed within McKinley's fast pace and take on the challenges of making their property an amazing place to live.
    Personally, I feel my work is appreciated and I have been able to take advantage of the many benefits McKinley offers, from the wellness programs to discounted apartment rent. I love working for an organization that gets things done!

Cons

The pace is very fast, and things change - often. Not everyone can roll with that, and I've dealt with my share of stressful days. However, I have good leaders who will explain changes and help to keep things on track.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open. Appreciate your team members. Keep achieving results.

Great Culture, Excellent Career Opportunities

Current Employee - Human Resources Leader in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Leader in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is different. This company moves at the speed of light which requires all employees to be flexible and to react quickly to change. McKinley hires intelligent, optimistic and resourceful team members who are up to the challenge. Our leadership team is devoted to growing our business, as well as developing our people, and that creates extensive career opportunities for those who are committed to achieving exceptional results.

Cons

The corporate office is a great distance from many of our properties and that distance can create a disconnect. Cascading our business goals, along with our culture of fun, team work and wellness, to our properties is a constant challenge and focus for our leadership team. In an effort to combat this challenge, we're constantly requesting feedback from our on-site team members to learn how we can better serve our employees and our residents.

Advice to Management

Continue publically celebrating the successes of our team members, both personal and professional. This constant communication from the executive leadership team is inspirational and motivating.

Vice President/Managing Director

Current Employee - Vice President/Managing Director in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President/Managing Director in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The most positive aspect of my job, as a member of the executive team, is the culture of McKinley and how that impacts the results expected of each of us by Albert. I'm incredibly proud that I get to work in an environment where:

Our employees are producing incredible results at a pace which we have not seen before. Our business is the healthiest and most profitable that it has ever been. We have phenomenal leaders in place driving outcomes which are transformational in this industry. Each business unit is thriving and it is directly tied to outstanding people and leadership. McKinley is growing--and it is directly related to the successes of our team members on the ground.

Our employees are seeing the rewards of their successes, as we are paying higher salaries than ever, bonuses are being earned at record highs, and the cumulative result of years of hard work is being enjoyed across the country. McKinley is thriving and our employees are seeing an immediate and personal financial impact.

Our employees are happier and more engaged than ever. Turnover continues to drop for the fifth consecutive year (and continues to be well below industry average), average length of service/tenure continues to grow, employee satisfaction and feedback is overwhelmingly positive and McKinley is again being recognized as an employer of choice.

Our employees are being promoted more often than ever. McKinley is focused on leadership development to sustain our ambitious growth aspirations. Positions are being filled with internal promotions at over a 20% rate. Across the board, key leadership roles have been filled with the brightest and best--people who started with McKinley in entry-level roles and are producing world class results.

Our employees are focused on their health and well-being. McKinley continues to make substantial investments in wellness and employee health. We will spend over $500,000 this year expanding our state of the art fitness facility on site as well as providing such amenities as TRX training, a spin studio, chair massages, bicycles for employees to use during the day, a healthy living kitchen, fire pits, and a new look Kerrytown campus. In addition, I'm excited that we will still be offering expanded health and wellness benefits and classes along with individual fitness and nutrition coaching to all employees, nationwide.

Our employees are given a direct pipeline to senior leadership. Our CEO and executive team members are continuously engaged with our people on the ground and every McKinley team member has a direct line to the leadership team to share their development goals, have questions answered or concerns addressed.

Our employees are our greatest asset and we work hard to ensure they feel supported in every way possible. McKinley's investment in our employees exceeds that of other organizations. In addition to leadership development, health and well-being, salary and benefits, and open-door access to leadership, McKinley offers donations to employees in crisis, invests heavily in charitable causes held dear to our employees, and continuously strives to maintain our status as a company that cares.

Each of these facts contribute substantially to my personal satisfaction with what I regard as the most incredible corporate culture I've ever seen. Being able to interact daily with folks doing what Team McKinley does is fulfilling and ensures that each morning I have the pleasure of getting up and going work in a place that I love.

Cons

We work hard, we have high expectations, and we don't settle for mediocrity. Sometimes this necessitates that we make changes to achieve these results. Our culture is driven on employee feedback, mentoring and coaching employees through performance issues. It is our sincere desire for every team member to be successful, unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't work out. In those situations, we offer our assistance and support as best we can. Managing change is a difficult, albeit necessary, part of doing business and while not unique to McKinley, it is something that can always be improved upon.

Advice to Management

Continue to deliver exceptional results.

Employee Renetion at Mckiney or was that a misprint

Current Employee - Regional
    Current Employee - Regional

I have been working at McKinley, Inc.

Pros

Salary, PTO, awesome people on your level to work with

Cons

Hero to zero in a second. Spent my weeks traveling and only coming home for a quick weekend. The company lets go of all their good valuable associates. I worked extremely hard, traveled at a drop of a hat, flew into an airport to do an inspection per my supervisor, landed, go into the concourse and had to book a ticket immediately out of there cause they needed me somewhere else then yelled because of air fare. I was totally let go by BS reasons and still have the emails to prove it

Advice to Management

I don't run the show they do, why do you do this to so many good people. I enjoyed my time immensely

6. Okay

I have been working at McKinley, Inc.

Pros

Great place to start career also pretty cool hr staff

Cons

No cons I love the family atmosphere

Advice to Management

Please raise your staff they work hard

Go for the golf cart!!

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Learning experience and room to grow if you're a hard worker.

Cons

The majority of McKinley properties don't have golf carts for maintenance. Management doesn't see the importance or the efficiency of a golf cart.

Advice to Management

Acknowledging a hard worker motivates them to keep doing better.

You will learn alot, work hard and fast and be rewarded well!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a person for everything so little falls through the cracks.
    Compensation is amazing.
    Training is thorough.
    Management is open.
    Fast paced work environment.
    Understands their residents and that you have to spend money to make money.
    Beautiful properties.

Cons

I love every aspect of Property Management, even the "tough conversations" you have to have with your residents so I do not think I have a con for McKinley. I have worked in this industry for almost 8 years and for the first time, I feel like I completely fit in and understand what is expected of me to be very successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I am so excited to see where we are in the years to come!

Good People dropping like flies!

I worked at McKinley, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Nice non-management people. Amazingly enough, there are some very devoted people who are sticking around in spite of what happens there every day.

Cons

VERY dirty work environment. Extremely arrogant executive team who don't really care about much except their own ego. Top CEO out of touch and oblivious as to what is really going on. Turnover is HORRIBLE don't let anyone kid you! A lot of the talented people have left and more will soon be more! One comment below is correct "every day is different". Yep. One day you are made to feel valued, the next day you will be sent packing! Not a soul there who isn't aware of this fact.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending money on a state of the art gym, etc. invest some money and clean up the place! It's dirty enough there to make you sick!

News flash. You don't need to put your title in the subject line of your review. Trust me, that doesn't help towards making your point.

McKinley, Inc. Response

Jun 24, 2015Vice President

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have an enjoyable experience at McKinley. I'd love to understand more about why you have such hostility towards McKinley, as we strive to ensure that all of our ... More

Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and flexable hours

Cons

management is secretive, you never know what is coming.

Leasing Consultant

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great training program for new hires and an amazing team environment. Fair commission and everyone helps close sakes, whether it is their commission or not. Amazing benefits.

Cons

Hourly pay could be better. Move around a lot so you have to learn a lot of communities, all ran differently.

RSS Feed </> Embed