McKinley, Inc.

Updated January 28, 2015
3.9

McKinley, Inc. CEO Albert M. Berriz
Albert M. Berriz

Pros
  • You get paid, you get bonuses, benefits are good, PTO is good, people are nice (in 13 reviews)

• They don't overwork you and have a great work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't make sure you shut down when you're at home it's difficult to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue what is really going on at the site level (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been with mckinley for about 6 months and it is the coolest place i've ever worked. i think we have the best team and our leaders are hands on and very helpful. doesn't hurt that the pay's great.

Cons

it was a little hard to get in the swing of things when i started there was a bit of disorganization but at least it didnt last long

shar emore success stories of people who have been promoted and developed. ive seen a few and its inspiring and gives you something to work to.

Great Job Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Champaign, IL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Maintenance pay is best in town and they pay maintenance bonuses. Managment treats you with respect and gives thanks for jobs well done and are residents are the best. It really feels like a community which is nice because you have pride in what you do and are doing to better everyone.

Cons

Snow removal sucks. Part of the job but I wish it was contracted out or smoething because then we could focus more on work orders.

Add to maintenance staff in winter like summer to make up for hours lost in snow season.

I love this company, the benefits and my co-workers

Current Employee - Commercial Accountant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Commercial Accountant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours make it easy to work at my pace. There are times that I need to work after hours to complete a task, but I am able to do so at home, which makes it easier for me and my family. I also have the option to work from home at any time which allows me to decide how best to get my job done and attend to my personal life as well. We are all accountable for getting our job done and co-workers are very helpful. Quartely & Annual bonuses are based on personal & portfolio performance. We have a personal trainer with on-site strength training & fitness classes and a work-out room with showers. We are encouraged to take advantage of the classes during work hours! Those that take advantage of the classes share a feeling of accomplishment and encourage each other to reach their personal goals. Weekly emails offer suggestions on how to better ourselves and how to make healthy choices become healthy habits.

Cons

Limited office space - Sharing an office with another person can cause some difficulties however, it also offers the unique opportunity to connect on a more personal level with your co-workers. At times the work load can be a bit much, but it is usually off-set by other times when the work eases off.

Keep doing what you're doing! Allowing people the freedon to set their own (reasonable) hours makes HAPPY employees!

Great company with lots of potential for growth

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurship attitude with confidence in their team and leaders. Good pay, sense of appreciation and flexibility. Great company values.

Cons

Busy atmosphere, but not necessarily a con. Important to set the work life balance.

Great Company

Current Employee - Property Manager in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc.

Pros

I like that they asked me introspective questions in the screening process to get a good feel for my personality. I don't know if I am selected for the position I am applying for but I sure hope so because it seems like the company is very responsive and organized.

Cons

I am not employed yet. I will update if I'm selected.

Keep up the good work!

McKinley Lifer

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coming to work for McKinley was the best choice I ever made. I love everything about my job. I get to work with great people, we have support from our leaders, the pay is great and the benefits are very good. We've gotten early bonuses for great NOI results and they do a good job of recognizing us for our hard work. I'm planning on retiring from McKinley.

Cons

I don't think there cons, but you definitely will work hard. Managers are held to very high standards and that's why the pay is so high. It is hard work but it is very rewarding. We get to make real decisions and a real impact on the communities and the praise from the residents is worth it. Reading these reviews on here from people that left the one thing I can say is you either love it or hate it. There hasn't been one person I've worked with who has left or been fired that didn't make sense to me. McKinley is definitely different but I love working here. Just know your gonna work hard and that's why the interview process is so hard, the pay is high, and the opportunity to move up and show yourself off is there.

I don't really have any I love my job and an thankful for everything.

Nice place to work to start out.

I have been working at McKinley, Inc.

Pros

freindly, good team to work with

Cons

no room for growth in company

grow the business

McKinley is the Regina George of Property Management. They Ruin People's Lives

Former Employee - Community Manager in Bloomingdale, FL
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Bloomingdale, FL

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

McKinley tries to be fetch and on the cutting edge of leadership style, but they miss the mark terribly. Too many experienced and smart managers are being replaced with Karen Smith types of people (she claims to have ESPN). These people lack property management experience and will have no problem drinking the McKinley kool-aid.

Cons

Make sure you wear your pink shirts on Wednesday, or you will be fired. Okay, so maybe not that dramatic, but people have been terminated for more absurd reasons. I won't go as far as claiming that their employees have made out with Coach Carr, but there have been tons of inappropriate relationships and numerous cases of nepotism.

Cady Heron was able to turn her life around and you can too. Wake up and realize that the Regina George management style will get you nowhere. If you want people to stick around, really value them. Don't let them burn out. Teach your employees life lessons like Ms. Norbury would and try living your core values.

I love McKinley

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at McKinley for a long time now and absolutely love my job. I've been able to watch our company grow and have been given an opportunity to grow as well. One thing true about McKinley is that if you work hard and produce, they'll take care of you. My job was very entry level years ago and I managed to get noticed and promoted. Those entry level jobs used to be like $9 and hour and now they lead the market in pay. Albert is a excellent CEO. He visits the properties, knows the employee's and does a good job making every one feel valued. The regionals have changed a few times but have always been good to us.

Cons

Lots of work and just now starting to get more fun stuff integrated onto the sites. Corporate use to get all that and now we're being able to do more and more.

Nothing I love McKinley

Fun Job

Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at McKinley, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Mckinley. The pay is very good and I absolutely loved the team I worked with. Our manager was amazing and she really made everyone feel valued. The culture was fun.

Cons

Rush season is absolutely crazy. Be ready to work hard. It can be kind of hard to move up and there isn't formal promotion plans.

Consider hiring more people during rush season.