McKinsey & Company

www.mckinsey.com

McKinsey & Company Reviews

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of(in 65 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable(in 160 reviews)

• Very long hours and continual expectation of over-performance(in 158 reviews)

Amazing place to work!

Associate (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsIncredible opportunity to work with leading companies, top government officials and thinkers to tackle some of the most challenging issues in the world today. Over the past year I have participated in many professional development courses, have pushed myself to be a better communicator and thinker. McKinsey has greatly supported me in developing core business skills. I am glad I came here.

ConsLong hours, lots of travel - can be difficult on personal life. I think I have accumulated 200,000 frequent flier miles this year, and I have no desire to use them because the last thing I want to do is to get back on a plane for vacation!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to continue to support Associates in pursuing their interests within the firm.

First-class organization offering great professional development opportunities & employee benefits.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIncredibly smart people, amazing professional development opportunities and the best benefits package around. For non-consultants, work-life balance is attainable. The firm is very accomodating for those with family and other personal situations. The diversity within the firm is truly impressive. I worked with people from all over the world on a daily basis. A truly global organization with a global focus - not a US firm with overseas offices. Creativity and innovation is rewarded.

ConsCompensation for non-consulting staff is just OK. The more senior you get, the less opportunity is available. Takes a long time to acclimate to the distinct McKinsey culture, but it is worth it. McKinsey has it's own style of writing, speaking, presenting, etc. Until you sound like one - you will not be accepted as one.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview succession planning strategy for non-consulting staff.

McKinsey is a great place to work...

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMcKinsey is a very challenging environment and there are great opportunities for professional growth. I have been here for many years and have had several incredible opportunities to move forward professionally and feel confident I will continue to grow as a professional here at the Firm.

ConsMcKinsey is a very challenging environment, which can lead to long work days. As a result, there can be a slight work/life inbalance at times. However, with a supportive team and manager, this can be managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no real advice at this time to provide to our senior leadership team, as I feel they are incredibly supportive and encouraging and communicate with the Firm adequately as it relates to firmwide issues or other matters.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities, difficult lifestyle

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat opportunities to engage on projects that are high-level, important and impactful.

ConsThe most obvious downside is the lifestyle. Consulting work requires that Associates spend Mon-Thurs day at the client site. This is often requires 2 flights a week and 3 nights in a hotel. During the week it is not uncommon to work from 7 or 8 am until 10 or 11 pm before returning to the hotel. McKinsey is also heavily dependent on Powerpoint presentations to communicate both with clients and internally. While this certainly improves the clarity of discussions it sometimes results in multiple rounds of revisions as each member of the hierarchy seeks to put their stamp on the presentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe considerate of employee's time and desire for a life outside the office. Work/life balance is increasingly important to job seekers and that is really about how hard you work employees on a daily basis and how much time they have for outside interests during the week rather than great maternity and part-time programs that few employees are able to utilize.

Great company to start your career

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities, especially for starting out in a career and for college grads right out of school.

ConsSchedules can be trying, you have to get used to the hours and traveling (as in any consulting job probably)

Advice to Senior ManagementGenerally top quality

McKinsey is a great place to be from

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMcK will open alot of doors for you. Especially if you want to work at a large Fortune 500 company
    You will be given a large amount of responsibility at a fairly early tenure in your career.
    You will be encouraged to take risks and everyone's opinion in the team is valued.
    You will certainly learn alot
    Being a 2nd year associate is probably the best job in the world
    ILW in Kitzbuhl is amazing
    Constant performance feedback

ConsThe result of alot of responsibility and constant performance feedback can be quite crushing on the ego - it seems like its never good enough.
    Most people at McKinsey are insecure overachievers. So, they place alot of pressure on themselves to have the best answer and after a few years, this pressure can really get to you.
    It just doesnt seem possible to have a reasonable life outside of work once you make EM.
    McKinsey is full of really smart people that have accomplished alot. But ultimately, they really aren't that interesting

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Perfect starting point for many careers, perfect career for the right type of person

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Really great people. Every single person I met there was outstandingly bright, and most are personable and fun
    - Able to work on top management issues from the outset of your career
    - Huge stepping-stone / door-opener for all sorts of future careers
    - Usually a positive and collaborative atmosphere on projects, even when working hard
    - It feels non-hierarchical in that everybody is expected to speak their mind on projects
    - Usually frequent and useful feedback - very transparent and two-way
    - Outstanding commitment to quality work
    - Very good training
    - A real feeling of shared values, and hence community
    - Lots of travel and related perks
    - Variety

Cons- Sometimes crazy hours (70 hrs/week quite normal, 90 not infrequent)
    - Projects can be in nightmarish locations, with red-eye flights to get there and back
    - Can be frustrating always being 'on the outside' of the organizations you're consulting to - leading to a nagging feeling that maybe you're not making a difference
    - Sometimes projects can be poorly conceived, managed etc. - leading to hellish working conditions, and feeling like its a waste of time
    - Most of the work is designed to deliver shareholder value, so if you're more into changing the world it can sometimes seem empty

Advice to Senior Management- Remember that junior people need to understand how their work fits into the big picture to be truly motivated
    - Be highly critical of the impact delivered by projects, and how it was delivered - then use that information to keep helping lifestyle improve

Amazing institution to be a part of

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOutstanding opportunities for personal and professional growth. Terrific colleagues - nice, collaborative, smart. Always working on topics that are interesting and important

ConsMissing dinners at home 3 evenings on most weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up - Firm is heading in the right direction

Work here if you want to make money and be successful - but leave your self-respect at home

Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBrand name. Springboard for opportunities outside

ConsNo work-life balance - you are essentially a slave of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim to be a non-hierarchical company, but you are the most hierarchical and suffocating company that ever existed

A great firm to start a career with

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsExtremely bright, driven coworkers. Great training ground for aspiring executives. Constant feedback and growth opportunities. Also one of the most prestigious firms you can work for, but as many people say, it is better to be from McKinsey than at Mckinsey.

ConsLong and constant travel take their toll - it's difficult not to get burned out. Also, the culture can seem extremely competitive at times. For most people, McKinsey is not the right place to build a long term career. However, if you do leave, you will have some great exit options.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the compensation is generally competitive with similar firms, why not go the extra mile and make it commensurate with the firm's reputation as #1?

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!