McKinsey & Company

www.mckinsey.com

McKinsey & Company Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of(in 64 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable(in 157 reviews)

• Very long hours and continual expectation of over-performance(in 157 reviews)

BUsiness Analyst

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat exposure for young professionals just out of school. Good learning opportunities. Great business analyst community where people bond with one another well. Amazing perks and training opportunities.

ConsLong hours. Too competitive. Too broad of an experience, hard for later career tracks if one wants to go into industries.

You are always as good as your last review

Engagement Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOpportunities to work with very senior clients, on high-impact issues, with very smart people all around.
    Some options to create/find your niche in a given industry and rapidly become a "go-to"/expert in that field (and be recognized for it)
    Great trainings
    Access to a vast network after your time at McKinsey

ConsBeing staffed on a 'good" engagement is like the lottery. It doesn't always happen because stars don't always line up (the consultant's availability, relevant skills, timing of the client, etc.). Getting staffed is a bit like being on the job market: you have to advocate for yourself unless a champion does it for you (e.g., a partner, an associate principal, or sometimes an engagement manager)

Especially outside the US, the organization is very different, less concerned with lifestyle if at all, ready to please the client at all costs, and not worried about squeezing the team like a lemon. Unacceptable behaviors from partners in the US are not sanctioned in other offices.

McKinsey - review of the job

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat people, diversity, challenging, fun

Consit can be stressful, long hours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

McKinsey gives you exposure to a broad range of exciting opportunities and gives you room to grow

Business Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat learning opportunities -- accelerates career

ConsTough hours, lots of travel. Bad luck in staffing can influence the opportunities available to you.

Business Analyst, San Francisco Office

Business Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTop training program - 1 week training for BAs, 2 week training for Associates. Probably as structured as you're going to find anywhere in consulting/ ops/ strategy.

Diverse, smart people.

ConsNot all projects are interesting. Sometimes, the environment began to feel competitive in an un-constructive way

Great training

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearn a lot in the short term

ConsBusiness of selling advice isn't very intellectually honest

Awesome learning experience

Accounting and Finance Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSurrounded by really smart people

ConsSome bureaucratic inefficiencies that are typical in any worldwide organization

I had a great experience at McKinsey learning and contributing my own ideas.

Graphics/Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work environment, great co-workers, great pay and as long as your working well, they give good raises.

ConsThere are really no cons that I could think of from working there. I was always treated like family

Advice to Senior ManagementThank all employees, not only consultants. I worked with graphics department and assistants and they worked really hard. If you could have a couple more employee appreciation outings, that would be great for employees.

Great organization...great collective experience, but may be over-rated in some areas

Associate Partner (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsGreat experience, processes and approach to problem solving is exemplary.
    Very smart people, professional...not a-holes to each other.

ConsNot clear to me yet that the work is necessarily any better than specialized consultancies. What's different is that it's managed well, delivered to senior management and hence potentially more impactful.
    Unstructured to a fault...chaotic way of getting things done...even people who have worked here for years have a hard time explaining which group does what.
    Work life balance is poor, but that is accepted as the way it is.

Former Recruiter

Recruiter (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Recognized brand
    -Established Processes
    -Great Benefits (best ones I have ever gotten)

Cons-Firm wide communication
    -People tend to not be friendly or helpful

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you are doing

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!