McKinsey & Company

4.2
1,028 Reviews

McKinsey & Company Managing Director Dominic Barton
Dominic Barton

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of (in 67 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable (in 174 reviews)

• Very long hours and a very high pressure environment leads to continual stress (in 175 reviews)

More Highlights

Great option for recent grad's

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ Intense but collegial firm culture
    + Exposure to senior client team personnel (e.g., CEO, CFO)
    + Despite tech's cyclical ascendance, McKinsey brand still carries a lot of weight
    + Work and network with the smartest and most well-connected management consultants in the world
    + Comp is solid but won't get you close to your friends in IB

Cons

+ Long hours / general stress
    + Clients can be highly demanding
    + Output can become your master

+ NYO (New York office) should try to import the culture of the other offices - I personally had a much better experience working with consultants out of Boston, Dallas, West Coast offices . . .

Analyst

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Good work environment, smart employees

Cons

Tons of travel, and long hours

Interviews: Stay Calm

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

You can work on a wide variety of projects in a wide variety of industries. You won't get bored.

Cons

80% travel and long hours which can lead to poor work/life balance.

IT Executive - Firm Office - New York

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work on the best projects, with the brightest people, on the best locations with vigorous budgets. Never in my extensive career have I had such resources available and a culture that fully supports all aspects of a projects success from both a business and technical aspect. McKinsey's benefits are phenomenal, they are very generous with personal time and time off policies- as long as you are meeting your goals. Honestly, has to be one of the greatest places in the world to work for someone that wants to contribute.

Cons

Some colleagues can be bratty and pretentious at times - especially some consultants and partners who feel because they have earned their stripes they can do no wrong. Thank goodness that most of the most senior partners consistently have their ear to the wall.

Communications of high level plans ultimately have to make it to your teams on all levels and all topics, even non-project related. You can easily lose some excellent people by keeping company long term plans hush-hush and not bringing them up for discussion. We are supposed to be a flat structured company and we should remember that as one of our core values.

Super impressive people, Awesome opportunities and Awesome company

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strives to be non-hierarchical, Offers opportunities to work on game-changing projects for large and growing corporations and organizations. Great perks!

Cons

Lot of proactive work needed to build internal network

Fertile arena for professional development and exponential learning

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on a variety of engagements in different industries and function with some of the best clients within the Industry
    Very heavy emphasis on your professional growth and performance improvement.
    Focus on client impact is extreme and acute

Cons

Extensive travel demands especially on engagements requiring heavy onsite client interactions (but the learning opportunities far outweigh the travel overheads)

Dynamic teams, great learning experience

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time

Pros

entrepreneurship, responsibility, learning, brand, access, information, leverage, impact, salary

Cons

lifestyle, balance, social life, social awareness, lack of implementation

Give consultants opportunity to stay at career level for longer, in order to solidify quality and put people in positions that they do best in. Not every great associate makes for a great project manager.

great culture, great people, long hours

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

good rapport, steep learning curve

Cons

long hours, long BD studies

You will never be surrounded by that many smart co-workers again.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with will be some of the smartest you will be ever meet. Those smart people are also very approachable, for the most part, and will pitch in and help when needed. You will enjoy the intellectual rigor of the work and being challenged by the rest of your team and office. The pay is good and gets better as you advance. You will work with some great companies and help them solve big, hard problems.

Cons

My biggest issue was that I felt that I was there to help the client succeed, and, oftentimes, the individual at the client I was helping most wasn't very talented. My job was to help him/her look great, but I became frustrated helping individuals that had probably already hit their ceiling. The travel can be very tough on your lifestyle. The hours can be brutal, depending on the engagement.

Great place to learn, have real meaningful impact and work with people truly invested in helping those around

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Non-negotiable values - I have seen us walk away from clients because we did not believe what they wanted us to do was right for them
    - Great place to get coached and mentored - it always amazes me how responsive anyone is if you ask for help
    - Pro-active and meaningful emphasis on preferences/workstyle and personal life balance

Cons

- Need to be very proactive in managing your network - out of sight out of mind, esp for niche sectors/topics to work on that have a high geographic skew

McKinsey & Company Photos