McKinsey & Company

McKinsey & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

McKinsey & Company Managing Director Dominic Barton

Dominic Barton

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of(in 64 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable(in 157 reviews)

• Very long hours and continual expectation of over-performance(in 157 reviews)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for.

ConsNot many cons, plenty of work experience required.

Advice to Senior Management1

Best possible experience right out of school

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsIncredible people (both talented and caring -- though of course there are always exceptions), steep learning curve, real company values, best possible preparation for future business environments (not to mention exit opportunities) that one could ask for

ConsWork-life balance is obviously tough with 4 days+ weekly travel and highly variable project hours, though it can be managed by working with the right people and in the right functions; it is a large corporation at the end of the day, so it's a little tough to flex your 'entrepreneurial' muscles

Wonderful place, don't stay too long

Research Analyst (Former Employee)

Pros- Interesting projects, especially in the Social Sector.
    - Really smart people from all over the world.
    - Fantastic trainings available all the time
    - Good internal knowledge system
    - Wonderful thing to have on a CV

Cons- Extreme split between consulting and knowledge staff often makes the job miserable as a researcher. Working with insecure, rude 22 year olds gets tiring, and there are no ways to provide feedback and rude personnel if you are not a consultant.
    - The idea of "one firm" is a good one, but not reflected in actual policies. No relocation flexibility for Knowledge staff means McKinsey will continue to lose the best and brightest researchers who dont want to work in the suburbs.
    - Lots of work and little rest, but that goes without saying :)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about your people. All of your people. The majority of your workers are not consultants, and they are reminded of this every single day. The value-add and brilliance of McK projects often comes from researchers, who are made to feel second class and the best ones leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Analyst

ProsLeadership, Work-Life Balance, excellent benefits

ConsNo upward job mobility, multi levels of management that have to be reported to over and over again

Great for 3-4 Years

Associate Principal (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are many pros to working at McKinsey. I would go for the experience of working there for a few years, but not try to make a career out of it
    - Really smart people
    - Challenging problems
    - Learn McK problem solving and communication

ConsIt's not the kind of place that you want to make a career out of:
    - Very political
    - Clients are all B or C players (remember that the A players don't need consultants) so don't go there if you want to work on cutting-edge issues
    - Senior management looks at people as capacity
    - Travel is unsustainable

Tremendous platform for broadening your horizons and learning quickly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIncredible exposure to senior business leaders, constant feedback to develop as a professional, an amazing set of smart, interesting, motivated colleagues. A remarkable opportunity to expand both your breadth and depth in industries, geographies and functions.

ConsThe work can be quite intense, but this makes sense in the context of the problems clients engage McKinsey on are both important and difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the values and mission

Great place for the right people

ProsGreat resources, training & development opportunities, PTO, benefits, interesting & challenging work, and globally minded workforce.

ConsCompensation is a little lower than I expected but still pretty good.

Challenging work with brilliant colleagues, though overstressed and underpaid

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsProvides some of the most fascinating work you can get. I've had access to CEOs, head financial leads, and even advised a president in an emerging market. Colleagues are nearly all brilliant, though some may lack interpersonal skills (or a life outside the firm).

ConsWork life balance is the most difficult part of working at McKinsey. I've seen colleagues become incredibly unhealthy (stop working out, put on weight), turn to alcholism, and one even had a psychological breakdown and had to go on leave. It is a very high pressure environment, and can be difficult to maintain in the long term, which contributes to the high turnover. Also, compensation is rather weak, given the hours we work.

great place to learn

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosdiversity, growth trajectory, personal growth, hotel and airline points

Constravel ALL the time, long hours, uncertainty in planning

Great learning and benefits but won't stay more than 2 years

Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Learning- My brain feels exercised everyday. Colleagues are really effing smart.

- Benefits. Truly the Cadillac of health benefits. Up to $10K in adoption or surrogacy fees. They also have up to $30K/year for in-home medical care (e.g., a home nurse) for you, your spouse, your or your spouse's parents, or your or your spouse's GRANDPARENTS! It's incredible. I don't think anyone knows about or uses this.

- Strong culture of "unplugging" on the weekends. Partners, Engagement Managers, etc. do not send emails on the weekends, so it allows you to as well. I often don't even look at my work phone all of Sat and most of Sunday until Sun night.

Cons- I haven't met a lot of truly kind, caring people. Most people are nice/pleasant enough to work with and engage in small talk, and many enjoy bantering, but there's a stiffness to the culture.

- Work life balance is unsustainable. People like to say/think that you can "make your own McKinsey" and make it work, but the truth is that you're expected to do a LOT, and you can't truly get it all done by signing offline at 9pm every night (and I mean to say that 9pm is super early).

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvocate for your team members when they want to move on and "break into" another project/sector/function

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!