McKinsey & Company

4.2
1,115 Reviews

McKinsey & Company Managing Director Dominic Barton
Dominic Barton

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of (in 67 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable (in 174 reviews)

• Very long hours and a very high pressure environment leads to continual stress (in 175 reviews)

More Highlights

It's McKinsey

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Unparalleled exposure to top business leaders. Incredibly high caliber colleagues. Fantastic way to start a career - especially for smart people who don't know what they want to do.

Cons

Lifestyle is hard, especially if you have a family. And people naturally leave after 2-3 years. I found that many of my closest colleagues left very quickly.

Shifting toward a greater focus on lifestyle is critical, and this is going to require being somewhat less aggressive in pursuing clients.

Make your "own McKinsey"

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allows for a lot of personal growth; given a lot of freedom to develop new skills and try new roles

Cons

Can be difficult to maintain home/work boundaries

Best in the industry, needs to work on removing politics

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Develop quickly, strengths-based feedback, variety, work with high performers

Cons

Promotion process is overly political and more about client and industry platform than ability.

Great training ground

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, ambitious team mates...by far the most interesting and challenging projects offered by private and public entities

Cons

Everything that is said about work/life balance is true, there is regularly any balance

Great Life Style, engaging work

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Great alumni, exciting work, travel, great company values, intense training, highly prestigious, overall a great place for somebody to launch their career.

Cons

None really - just writing this sentence in order to meet the word count minimum. But one of the problems is you're always at risk of losing your job.

Very positive. Lots of great learning

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Top people, great benefits, interesting work

Cons

Lifestyle and travel can be difficult at times

Need to make sure all partners are top notch from a values and people development perspective, otherwise will over time erode the culture

Great experience as an intern, could be a wonderful opportunity for someone right out of college

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

everyone is intelligent and drive, impactful work, good emphasis on mentoring and skills development

Cons

work/life balance, long hours, travel

think about investing more in research as part of client service

Fantastic employer

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Smart people, challenging problems, always learning

Cons

You have to be willing to travel

Amazing Firm with incredible people

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

The Firm has built an incredible support network and you can easily navigate their extensive resources available. The phrase "make your own McKinsey" is very true here. If you do the work and put in the time, speak up, initiate and drive ideas, you'll go far. Most teams are friendly and have a good balance of keeping things entertaining between the stressfulness of deadlines and work. The firm is still growing, Specifically McKinsey solutions, so if that's your niche or could be, the track to grow your career, at the time being is much faster than the traditional. Management was receptive and the entire team top to bottom, was very responsive to opportunities. Professional development is a huge focus here and always speak up with your ideas! They're almost always received well so long as you are willing to drive them!

Cons

I enjoyed this part, but many people are not ok with the lack of guidance and constant change. You will wear many hats at times. If you don't have the personality to adapt and be flexible, this isn't the environment for you. If you're on the admin side, there is little room for opportunity or growth outside of certain offices. I relocated and was unable to take my career with me even though my team fought for months.

Be flexible to the employees who are high performers and have been with the firm for enough time. I did not want to leave McKinsey but my relocation to another city, with a McKinsey office, forced me to have to leave the firm since my position was not allowed in any other office in the US. I hope to find my way back as my new similar role with another company does not come close. My team is still reaching out to me informing me of the huge gap a month later. While I understand the concept of the structure, don't lose out on great employees by becoming too corporate. It's one of many reasons people choose McKinsey over elsewhere.

great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Expert in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Expert in Chicago, IL

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great values, plenty of diverse opportunities across the world

Cons

demanding on lifestyle, high turnover

McKinsey & Company Photos