McKinsey & Company

Updated March 5, 2015
4.2

McKinsey & Company Managing Director Dominic Barton
Dominic Barton

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of (in 67 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable (in 174 reviews)

• Very long hours and a very high pressure environment leads to continual stress (in 175 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, interesting work... You'll never be bored

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

The people are some of he smartest you will ever know, you are constantly learning

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge, very competitive environment, can be draining

Incredible profession development, surrounded by some truly inspiring co-workers

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

While there are definitely some not so great people you will run into, I found that the people I worked with to be some of the smartest people I have had the pleasure to know--and count many of them among my closest friends today

Cons

Travel and work-life balance. Although they were very accommodating of a bi-coastal move, industry switch, and allowing me to go part-time, in the end, I didn't see a long term path towards being able to balance the needs of my family with a successful career at McKinsey

Figure out different paths for people with families besides the traditional up or out

Make your "own McKinsey"

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allows for a lot of personal growth; given a lot of freedom to develop new skills and try new roles

Cons

Can be difficult to maintain home/work boundaries

Very positive. Lots of great learning

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Top people, great benefits, interesting work

Cons

Lifestyle and travel can be difficult at times

Need to make sure all partners are top notch from a values and people development perspective, otherwise will over time erode the culture

Great training ground

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, ambitious team mates...by far the most interesting and challenging projects offered by private and public entities

Cons

Everything that is said about work/life balance is true, there is regularly any balance

Best in the industry, needs to work on removing politics

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Develop quickly, strengths-based feedback, variety, work with high performers

Cons

Promotion process is overly political and more about client and industry platform than ability.

Fantastic employer

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Smart people, challenging problems, always learning

Cons

You have to be willing to travel

Amazing Firm with incredible people

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

The Firm has built an incredible support network and you can easily navigate their extensive resources available. The phrase "make your own McKinsey" is very true here. If you do the work and put in the time, speak up, initiate and drive ideas, you'll go far. Most teams are friendly and have a good balance of keeping things entertaining between the stressfulness of deadlines and work. The firm is still growing, Specifically McKinsey solutions, so if that's your niche or could be, the track to grow your career, at the time being is much faster than the traditional. Management was receptive and the entire team top to bottom, was very responsive to opportunities. Professional development is a huge focus here and always speak up with your ideas! They're almost always received well so long as you are willing to drive them!

Cons

I enjoyed this part, but many people are not ok with the lack of guidance and constant change. You will wear many hats at times. If you don't have the personality to adapt and be flexible, this isn't the environment for you. If you're on the admin side, there is little room for opportunity or growth outside of certain offices. I relocated and was unable to take my career with me even though my team fought for months.

Be flexible to the employees who are high performers and have been with the firm for enough time. I did not want to leave McKinsey but my relocation to another city, with a McKinsey office, forced me to have to leave the firm since my position was not allowed in any other office in the US. I hope to find my way back as my new similar role with another company does not come close. My team is still reaching out to me informing me of the huge gap a month later. While I understand the concept of the structure, don't lose out on great employees by becoming too corporate. It's one of many reasons people choose McKinsey over elsewhere.

Good ride but politics rising

I worked at McKinsey & Company

Pros

- Great development and people;

Cons

- Work-life balance can be a challenge (but you know you are signing up for it)
    - There continues to be a lot of talk about the Firm "values" but over time it felt it became more lipservice for some senior folks - before everyone believed and lived them, now as Firm has grown consistency of quality and values in partnership has been strained

+ Go back to being a smaller, nimble firm where values truly mean something

Great Life Style, engaging work

I have been working at McKinsey & Company

Pros

Great alumni, exciting work, travel, great company values, intense training, highly prestigious, overall a great place for somebody to launch their career.

Cons

None really - just writing this sentence in order to meet the word count minimum. But one of the problems is you're always at risk of losing your job.

McKinsey & Company Photos