McKinstry
www.mckinstry.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

McKinstry Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Dean Allen

Challenging, face paced, great benefits but not sure the pay is on pay with competitors

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKinstry full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFree to create, always taking care of the customer whether inside or outside the company walls, no one watches over your back, they seem to care about their people, stable for a construction based company.

ConsIts very hard to find time to take a vacation, it takes on average 2 years to find your way thru the company and understand how it all works

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to pay on par with other contractors, while the benefits are great, it costs money to keep the talent around. It takes a long time to get someone up to speed at McK, why then loose them because of pay?

Every day is a "learning" experience.

Critical Facility Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKinstry full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat group of CFE's at site location. Building is very diverse and offer's new challenges daily.

ConsForgotten by corporate office, treated as outcasts by mandatory union. Very difficult organization structure working for McKinstry who is contracted to another company in the maintenance of the site.

It was so good once.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at McKinstry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMcKinstry hires really smart and talented people who are fun to work with. McKinstry also lands some interesting projects that can push the boundaries of how traditional work is done. It can be a very exciting place to work.

ConsWords speak louder than actions and that means the wrong people get promoted. It feels like the management team is run on the fear of the managers loosing their jobs and they dislike the people who question them, even if it is trying to gain a better understanding of the vision.
The management team doesn't have standard management training and operate very differently between departments.
The pay is far below average and the benefits no longer make up for the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees when speaking about the future direction of the company and be more transparent.

Once great, now searching for direction

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at McKinstry full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood working conditions (at least in Seattle) - nice facility with good amenities to allow you to feel good about being onsite for 10-12 hours per day.

ConsI had the good fortune to have worked with George Allen, and while I'm sure that he's proud of where his sons have taken his company, I think he'd be disappointed with the erosion of the once-strong McKinstry culture. The culture used to be a driving factor in the strong employee commitment to the company, but that is gone now due to the focus on growth for the sake of revenue. All middle-management attention is focused solely on department revenue, at the expense of employee satisfaction (regardless of their marketing blurbs - look how many key people have left in the last few years), division direction and market competition. Many middle managers are unqualified and ineffective and are kept employed or even promoted - even after they have been graded as ineffective by their direct-reports. Amazing.

There is also little to no focus on employee professional growth opportunities in most divisions and no clear manager training program. You have to be nominated to participate in their DBOM management class, and there are lower-grade managers with two direct-reports taking the course before operations managers responsible for departmental budgets and revenue.

HR also allowed many 'questionable' employee interactions to fester into tenable situations instead of taking decisive action. You often felt that you had no support if conditions were to worsen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your key employees - you know who they are: they are the ones that are getting amazing work done regardless of the stifling restrictions placed on them by middle management - they are the ones that you come to when you have a challenging situation that needs support.

Implement 360-degree performance reviews for managers and roll that information up to the executive team so that they can see how the direct-reports feel their managers are doing.

Come downstairs and take some of those key employees out of the facility for lunch or coffee so that you can take the pulse of the company and see how employees really feel.

In your quest to grow and expand, you've lost contact with the people who actually are responsible for the growth of the company.

Great companies still exist!

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at McKinstry full-time for more than a year

ProsMcKinstry has created a progressive culture on par with the greatest companies in any industry - certainly an outlier in the construction & facilities world. People come first. Period. Second, customers' needs take precedent over personal or company desires. Comprehensive benefits are the best in the industry.

ConsGrowth is conservative, so managers might be reined in every once in a while, but that has build an almost indestructible company structure: culturally and financially. Pay, on its own, isn't quite following the top end of respective markets/industries, but this is balanced by an amazing benefits offering.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks. The business offerings are premier across the board - take a shot at the moon and go all-in for some new markets.

A once formidable empire

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at McKinstry full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is an incredible amount of talent within the organization. Excellent facilities for employees to take advantage of. A strong marketing focus gives McKinstry a competitive advantage in the market place. The company continues to set the pace for what other mechanical contractors do in the Pacific Northwest.

ConsWhat was once a wonderful place that allowed and encouraged creativity and collaborative efforts, flipped when the economy crashed. Departments began to step on each other chasing revenue for their individual profit centers. While they preach work life balance, you are expected to put in 60 hour weeks at a minimum or you aren't working hard enough (at least in my department). The energy services division drives the direction of the company for better or worse. The department I was part of cleaned house due to the manager feeling threatened by what he perceived as loyalty to the previous manager rather than accepting that he was extremely difficult to work for. A lot of good talent was pushed out the door for political reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people like you once did. Emphasis work life balance like you once did.

Employee focused, with great benefits

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at McKinstry full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits
Employee focused
Very diversified allowing options for employees change departments

ConsLack of transparency
Has grown too fast at the expense of profitability
New employees coming from other organizations tend to poison the culture for which the company was established

Great Experience

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at McKinstry as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, really supportive team members. They offer a somewhat flexible schedule. There's a gym and a small pseudo-driving range. Great experience with HR.

ConsThe pay for interns is much less than I have received in the past. Sometimes you really have to get out there and search for work to do (this can be good too).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure interns feel comfortable continuously asking for more work if necessary.

So much potential

I have been working at McKinstry full-time

ProsDiversity, financial stability, Nice facilities

ConsSlow to change, lots of overhead

Overall, very good place to be.

I have been working at McKinstry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, people who care about what they are doing. I feel like I am working with some of the most talented people in the industry. McKinstry is growing and I am excited to see what's next!

ConsI would appreciate a bigger focus on professional development. I think I have more to offer than what is being utilized in my current role. Managers tend to be "coach players" which makes them good technical managers but not great people managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional development and career paths need to be a stronger focus.

Worked for McKinstry? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinstry reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McKinstry CEO Dean Allen. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by McKinstry employees.