McLane Company

www.mclaneco.com

McLane Company Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

W. Grady Rosier

Pros
  • Pay and benefits were acceptable (in 3 reviews)

• I can see no "pros" to working here other than a fair "profit sharing" program via a managed 401k plan (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours; lower than average pay (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management turns a blind eye to it all (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately job was restructured

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture with room for growth

ConsDidn't seem dedicated to Independent Sales

Good Company and benefits, but long and odd hours

Driver (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsGood pay and good benefits. Equipment is fairly new and kept up. Trucks are maintained well. Company does a lot of door prizes and dinners for the drivers.

ConsHours having to work. Work all shifts of the day. May work 24+ hours at a time. May be gone from the house 80+ hours a week only making 20 dollars an hour. Most routes are shortened so you can run legal, but the pay is cut back a lot.

Not a great experience

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits were acceptable.

ConsReally bad culture. Everything is top down. Upper management are Gods and everyone else is treated with little respect. If you eventually work up the ladder you get to treat other people like garbage! Very nit picky even when you perform well and exceed goals. Not open to any improvement unless it comes from an upper management. Always trying to keep employees in constant fear. Awful communication between different departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the work enviroment more enjoyable and focus on working smarter instead of harder. Actually listen to people on the ground. Set realistic goals for people. Try to be more upbeat and get rid of the fear culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunity to move around

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) Temple, TX

ProsThe company is large and seems to be good about promoting from within. In the year and a half that I was there I saw lots of people move around and many move UP. While I eventually moved to a job outside of the company, I have to believe that had I stayed, I would have been given ample opportunity to grow there.

ConsThe position that I was in was not incredible but that's no fault of the company. I did not seek other employment within the company.

Good benefits, but requires a lot of work without much reward.

Programmer/Analyst, App Lead (Current Employee) Temple, TX

ProsGreat bonus and benefits. Good Salary.

ConsSome employees get everything they want while others are treated poorly. Inconsistency among managers. Managers favor certain employees. Most employees are not valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementOld management style. Learn to value your employees and stop showing partiality.

Very good wages, advancement and benefits

Inventory Control (Former Employee) Temple, TX

ProsVery competitive pay and 401k cant be beat. Also the opportunity for advancement is very high. Very fair work policies with many incentives such as safety and production.

ConsNot really many sometimes the hours can be long but if you like money that is a good thing so con or not, up to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and maybe ask advise from the people doing the job....

Great place to work if your a member of the Old Boys Club!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLogistically they preform, correcting and customer issues immediately. Support staff at corporate are kind, intelligent, and supportive. If you are a senior executive, you get what you ask for without issues. Health and 401k are good.

ConsThe open door policy is a joke. Pay increases above 3% is not common regardless of performance; a promotion can be the same or less if you accept it. Basically people are managed by fear, over worked just enough that they don't have time to think.

Its okay if you don't have a life.

Warehouse Selector (Former Employee) Temple, TX

ProsMost coworkers were helpful in helping you if you had a a lot of orders. Overall it was never a boring day.

ConsThere were lack of communication from management. You can get written up and they won't even tell you so there were no way for you to improve as an employee. I have seen many coworkers get fired because they have reached a number of write ups and they had no idea they had them. There is also no advancement, you just get a pay raise every few years or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee has done something wrong let them know first instead of just writing them up. If they do it again TELL them that you writing them up and let them know they have one more chance to improve or to fix something. Just talk to employees instead of being secretive.

Great 18 Years!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros120 year company that is debt free. Pay is good depending on what department or grade. Benefits and Profit sharing are very good. President and CEO is well respected. Owned by Berkshire-Hathaway. Growing company with 20 plus Grocery Warehouses. Excellent "Open Door" Policy.

ConsIf you're hired from the outside it takes a while to adapt to the McLane cultural. Not nearly as family friendly as they once were. Department managers/supervisors are good people however most can't train or treat teammates with respect because Upper management is always focusing on the Key Performance Indicators.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in how you treat people. Walk the walk and just not talk the talk when it comes to training new teammates or cross-training teammates from one area to another. When there are problems or challenges truly address them and find out the "Root Cause".

Iv'e had an overall good experience

Customer Service (Current Employee) Lakewood, WA

ProsThey have pretty good benefits

ConsThey act like they pay well but not compaired to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage

Worked for McLane Company? Contribute to the Community!