McLane
www.mclaneco.com Temple, TX 5000+ Employees

McLane Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

W. Grady Rosier

Good, stable company; great benefits

Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at McLane full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStability; opportunities for advancement; positive work enviroment, great people, tuition reimbursement, 401K

ConsInflexible work hours for salaried employees; treated more like hourly; no flex time or working from home

Pay is ok, but not up to levels of other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust work hours for salaried teammates or allow for flexible work schedule and/or telecommuting

Review pay comparison to similar companies

Good salary and benefits, but doesn't treat employees fairly

Programmer/Analyst, App Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at McLane full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood compensation. Good 401K and security.

ConsOnly rewards certain people. Not a team oriented company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly and reward teams.

Downhill

Transportation (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at McLane full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe best thing is working with the drivers, they give it their all despite being disrespected.

ConsNew management has new clue on what is actually going on. No wonder so many people in all departments are looking for another job. Used to be a great place to work but not any longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire most of them and get some upper level management with actual experience.

Changing Company

I worked at McLane full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhen I first started at McLane it was a great place to work. Benefits were good and Salary was middle of the road but adequate for the area.

ConsIncreased volume and company culture change had made McLane Carolina change over the last two years. McLane Carolina leadership is not caring and McLane beliefs and values only apply to the teammates and not to the salary team. Senior leadership was un-professional in dealing with situations and embarrassed management in front of hourly teammates on numerous occasions. Management was required to work in excess of 60 hours a week and 70 hours a week on most occasions with little or no help coming to the division.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership at McLane Carolina needs to change especially in that culture. Work should have some aspect of fun. Teammates need to feel good about what they do especially salaried teammates. It cannot be all about the hourly teammates it has to be a balance ans senior leadership does not see it that way.

Stable Company

Human Resources Person (Current Employee)

I have been working at McLane full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Location of McLane in Temple, TX; company is stable and has a diverse strategy; opportunity for development within the company; the longevity of the staff;

Conscompensation base pay is low especially if you have been with the company for a long time, however, the bonus pay out is excellent and practically guaranteed

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the Sr. Leadership is strong. I imagine like any company there are a few that need coaching on interacting with others.

Great place to work

Lakewood, WA

I worked at McLane full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFemale management is amazing. Transportation department is full of bad attitudes and complain alot.

ConsNo room for advancement. No fresh ideas coming in or going out of this division.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new fresh ideas to keep staff interested and alive.

great Company

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at McLane full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, people, good environment and lots of respect

ConsNot too many cons to think of

Unorganized business process but it also has its positives.

Forklift Operator (Current Employee)
Athens, GA

I have been working at McLane full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are adequate for the area.

ConsNot knowing when you are getting off. Sometimes there is overtime and sometimes 32 hour weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementObserve and orgainize

Stable company, but not a good place to work

I worked at McLane full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits standard of a large corporation, good. Stable business model

ConsLow pay, NO time off the first year. Then after 1st year that they only give you 10 measly days until year 7! Low morale with other employees, not good at showing appreciation for hard work. Not interested in keeping employees happy, everything to them is about the numbers and making them. Frugality at its finest with no room for error. Employees are expected to work and work with little or no appreciation whatsoever. No incentive to move up or stay with the company with lack of monetary compensation or vacation time until much later. They want people who have no life outside of work and live to work for them, and expect to be thankful that they work for their "great" company and purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementGIVE YOUR PEOPLE TIME OFF!!!! People need to spend more time with their families. They are not slaves! Pay them for the hard work they give you, tell them you appreciate them. You will not have loyal employees if you keep treating them like dirt.

Major turnover, major bad practices

Yard (Former Employee)
Baldwinsville, NY

I worked at McLane full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of wild things that go on in the warehouse and around the area.

ConsPersonal vendettas and opinions hurt new and lower end employees by mid-management people with zero experience or skills. Upper management turns a blind eye to it all.. Raises were not time based and can be withheld for childish reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together and stop treating people dishonestly.

Worked for McLane? Contribute to the Community!

McLane – Why Work for Us?

ABOUT McLANE McLane Company, Inc., is a $44 billion supply chain services leader, providing grocery and foodservice supply chain solutions for convenience stores, mass merchants, drug stores and chain restaurants… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McLane reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for McLane CEO W. Grady Rosier. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by McLane employees.