McLaren Health Care

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.4

Philip A. Incarnati

Average pay for average work

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Bay City, MI
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Bay City, MI

I have been working at McLaren Health Care

Pros

Steady hours and variable work loads keep things interesting.

Cons

Employee call ins and short staffing making keeping up to work standards difficult.

Invest in more workers to stabalize the working enviroment

The future of medicine

I have been working at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are wonderful people working for this "non-profit", of course they are the people that are ignored by all levels management. If you are a dishonest, self-serving, callous person with family in Mclaren management you'll do well with this company. This is what the future of corporate medicine looks like. They are expanding all over the state of Michigan.

Cons

Complete, universal lack of communication among all levels and units in the company is really pretty amazing. Blatant union busting. Complete focus on short term profits over function. Cons might actually be getting worse over time.

Very Rewarding, Amazing Team, and Growing Corporation

Former Employee - Resident Manager in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Resident Manager in Flint, MI

I worked at McLaren Health Care as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of growth within the company as they expand all throughout Michigan. As an intern, I was given more authority than I ever expected, I was introduced to C-Suite executives, I was entrusted to produce results on my own, and I was given the opportunity to work with amazing people. This company really sets you up for success.

Cons

Location was my biggest issue, in Flint, MI. Pay was a bit low, but I was an Intern. As a large corporation, simple tasks have to travel through many channels before reaching completion.

Keep doing what you are doing, and focus in a bit more on the employees. There are a lot of rumors that circulate, so remain transparent and genuine, as you are running a Non-Profit Corporation.

Interesting experience

Former Employee - Social Media Strategist in Petoskey, MI
    Former Employee - Social Media Strategist in Petoskey, MI

I worked at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New ideas are often encouraged and supported. It's just when the ideas get rolling, the brakes are often put on for silly reasons. The physicians and clinical staff are generally a great group.

Cons

For a healthcare organization that owns their own medical insurance product, they have incredibly lousy insurance coverage. Management doesn't "get it" and often are stuck in ego battles with other high level administrators. The physicians are ready to roll with great new ideas, then realize that the administrators get in the way and hold them up. Usually this is due to lack of understanding, education or for control. The types of people that are promoted are the ones that are often hated or despised by their staff. The ones that SHOULD be promoted or recognized usually leave after a few years because they find out nothing can be done to change the culture or affect positive changes. Even though management is supposed to use in-house staff for various services to save money and cut costs, they go to outside consultants thus defeating the purpose of having staff that are specialized. It's a slap in the face most times.

Clean house - get rid of the management that isn't performing or are hated by staff. Promote those within that are doing a great job before they leave for better opportunities. Change the negative culture by engaging your employees and listening to them. Stop being all about MONEY. All you have to do is look at the mission statement to see money and profits is all McLaren cares about. So sad.

The aboslute worst place I have ever worked. An unorganized mess.

Current Employee - Patient Access in Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Access in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of anything positive. Horrible place.

Cons

Plenty of nepotism and favoritism. Unionized non-technicals and RN staff.

Get your priorities straight. Recognize that your employees are your most valuable asset! Show some appreciation and you will get much better customer service. Get your heads out of the stone age. Change is good! Try something new to keep your good employees. Get rid of the bad employees. I guarantee that when the job market opens up, you will be left with the scum because the cream of the crop will be leaving.

Dedicated employees with lacking upper management

Former Employee - Administration
    Former Employee - Administration

I worked at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful location with an opportunity to help and support the community.

Cons

lack of cohesive management plan and cohesive direction

focus on the patients and engaging the community

this is why nurses become burnt out and cynical

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Petoskey, MI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Petoskey, MI

I worked at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

self-scheduling on the unit I was on
    varied patient population
    good co-workers
    if you are a smoker you will love their non-enforced no smoking policy
    paychecks did not bounce

Cons

-poor management attitude
    -no pay raise for 4 years ("if we were giving raises you would get one")
    -job cuts (lots)
    -poorly and very minimally stocked pantry for patients (they inventory the creamer packets and tea bags, no kidding)
    -clique-ish (overheard a team leader and one of her cohorts plan on how to sabotage one of their coworkers)
    -blatant favoritism
    -as a "valued colleague" in a facility who byline is "treatment as we would give to our own family", I was treated in the emergency department, and told point blank that I had a psych disorder and was drug seeking (neither of which is or was true).
    -leave your nursing judgment at home, you won't need it here. with policies and procedures for everything, you won't need anyone's opinion, (even yours) except the team leader and the unit manager
    -scratch autonomy off your list of reasons to work here
    -many of their own employees go to other area hospitals if they need care
    -healthcare benefits are abysmal
    -biting your tongue until it bleeds is not considered workers comp, it is called paying the bills
    -don't look for your team leader or manager to back you up, they are too busy shoving your wooden boat into the lake of flaming oil....unless of course you are on their buddy list

I don't care if you are management, if you hold the initials RN after your name, help out in the trenches once in a while. It'll give you a different perspective and keep you humble.

Steer away from working for this company

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lansing, MI

I worked at McLaren Health Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I do not have any pros on this company

Cons

Middle management will do anything to get rid of anyone seems they are in financial dire straits. Do not trust them. Avoid working for them at all if possible. Throw money away despite saying they do not have the resources for XYZ etc. If you do go work for them, WATCH YOUR BACK

You suck no matter which way you cut it. Too many people being in positions they really have no business being in to begin with.

Great company to work for, ever growing

Current Employee - Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Expanding with many oppurtunities, large growth potential

Cons

At times work can be very demanding, as far as balancing with home life

nice until new management took over

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Lansing, MI

I worked at McLaren Health Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

wonderful co workers decent pay

Cons

management! very disconnected didn't even know my name!

support your staff! do not refer to clients as driveways!