McLaren Regional Medical Center

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014
3.3

CEO

IT was a pleasant experience, everyone was friendly.

Former Employee - Administrative  in  Davison, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative in Davison, MI

I worked at McLaren Regional Medical Center as an intern

Pros

I was just an intern here but it did get me off to a right start in the professional atmosphere.

Cons

I could have learned a lot more if I was just given the chance.

Not bad

I have been working at McLaren Regional Medical Center

Pros

Friendly people and a friendly place

Cons

Unorganized and training programs could use better instructions

Create a better training program

More Cons then Pros

Former Employee - Nurse Assistant  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Nurse Assistant in Lansing, MI

I worked at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyed those I worked with. Enjoyed the patients and caring for them. Pay wasn't too bad, I liked the 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Horrible management, human resources, and union. Very unorganized. Quick to fire instead of simply asking questions after working there for 6 years. Usually understaffed and very busy. Heavy patient load. Management was too worried about making friends with staff members then being a manager. Facility always worried more about being over on daily cost then having efficient staff which in the end the patients suffered from this.

Very poor efforts in everything, too busy playing the like and dislike people game. Management is there to be management not judge people or try to make friends with staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Laboratory Services

I worked at McLaren Regional Medical Center

Pros

New Equipment, flexible schedule, good medical benefits

Cons

Poorly managed on several levels, Low moral of employees, unethical behavior by staff and some management. Long time employees feel threaten by change. Not a healthy working environment.

Remove the Union and the philosophy they bring with it, reward people for merit, idea and professionalism.
    Look to innovation and companies that are geting it right.

Excellent Employer

Current Employee - Director  in  Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Flint, MI

I have been working at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Very engaged physicians and colleagues

Cons

A bigger corporation but still friendly

Continue to provide excellent care

Watch your back

I worked at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place for employment
    Amazing if you are part of the union
    The people that you get to know personally will open up and allow you to network

Cons

Management doesn't know anything, and that's why this company is falling apart. This is also why out of the 3 hospitals in Flint - they are know the 3rd best. The hand feed the other hospitals patients b/c of LACK of staff.

Get out there on the floors - get to know the place. Sitting in your offices everyday and not moving will not help you in the long run. If you aren't out there experiencing things first hand you will never know what you are truly "managing".

great place to work, they take care of their nurses

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Mount Clemens, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Mount Clemens, MI

I have been working at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good pay, union, flexible management

Cons

computer documentation system is awful to navigate.

Palatable, if you can deal with tenuous job security and out-of-touch management.

Current Employee - I See All Sides  in  Flint, MI
    Current Employee - I See All Sides in Flint, MI

Pros

~Nice staff & patient population.
    ~Pay is competitive (despite location).
    ~Routine opportunities for CE.
    ~RNs have good union, it seems.
    ~Focusing more on evidence-based medicine, applying to hospital policies with senior staff input. (however, motivation is monetary)
    ~New, super-cool Proton Beam radiation center almost open! VERY forward thinking (will be sixth in the U.S.!) Good for patients, McLaren and community!!!
    ~Concierge Service: paid for by McLaren, these folks will take your car for an oil change, get your groceries, run your errands while U R @work. Very Nice people; convenient and a great perk for working here.
    ~Steady work.
    ~Admins are polite in hallways.
    ~CEO matches employee donations to United Way!

Cons

~Administration can focus too much on a short-term goal, looses feel of day-to-day management issues. (know your house and how to keep it in order)
    ~Knee-jerk reaction to issue-resolution; not including info from workers/ stakeholders/ support staff into the decision-making process. (if so, decisions would command more respect) (know how to get your house back in order, peacefully)
    ~Underlying tension of Admin-vs-workers is distracting background static in every interaction.
    ~"not-for-profit" the most blatant lie. McLaren Healthcare Corporation, with many hospitals under her wing, makes huge "profit" because she can force supplies to lower prices, due to her awesome purchasing power. Therefore: 1) Everything provided by the lowest bidder: suplies, EMR. 2) Profits not returned to infrastructure nor working people; Admins get the bonuses. As the world turns, so does "not-for-profit"
    ~Those w/o union are employed at-will. I've seen 'em come, & I've seen 'em go... You have been warned...

1) Most staff want to do a great job for a long time, with a winning team in a secure environment. Invest a little more time and you will see this (and you will see those who are not team players). (Know your house and how to keep it in order)
    2) We'll be more understanding of your mistakes, if you are understanding of ours. Let's grow together : )
    3) Let's not compromise patient care because we were pinching a penny with short staff. Hospitals need some redundancy to cover in-house emergencies. Perhaps Management/ Admins are short-staffed as well, eh?
    4) Hang in there! You can do it!

Overall my experience there was alright, but, not what is expected from an employer in this field.

Former Employee - Interventional Radiology/Resource Pool RN  in  Petoskey, MI
    Former Employee - Interventional Radiology/Resource Pool RN in Petoskey, MI

I worked at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Close knit community, good learning experiences. The location is great for people who love the outdoors and four season activity.

Cons

Salary range low for RN profession and RNs are not treated well. Support staff such as kitchen help, maintenance and security are treated better.

Treat your core nursing staff better. Travel RNs shouldn't be treated or put on a higher level than your core nursing staff.

Support Services

Current Employee - Support Services  in  Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Support Services in Flint, MI

I have been working at McLaren Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has pretty good benefits. McLaren has always been know for it's service. For me the location couldn't be better.

Cons

Human Resources is corrupt. It used to be that you could hire in a work your way up. Now, every job even entry level, when applying you are given the explanation someone with more qualifications was given the job. How? They are outsourcing at an unbelievable rate. They are cutting the employee benefits at an unbelievable rate, and the turnover in the new hire employee's is absolutely terrible. They hire casual employee's and work them like they are F/T. In doing this
    they have a tremendous overturn, As an employee I don't think this is they way to "Stardom". It is a way of poor work ethic. Period. The best managers are the ones that have done the job. They are hiring managers that have NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE. If you manage a gas station you cannot come in to a hospital environment and know what you are doing.

Stop the turnover in your managers. Something is wrong when you have the kind of turnover in employees and managers at Mclaren Reg. The turnover seems to me needs to be with the upper management. They are taking the company down the wrong road. Nurse managers that are there for 6 months then gone. Come on. You hired people that are not familier with the basics at McLaren. Have never done the job or managed. There is a reason for this and the community is aware. McLarens ratings are the worst they have ever been, yet they are making money hand over fist. Advice: Go back to employing your own management teams. They fantastic. They knew the jobs because they DID THEM. The place is total caous, no good leadership in Support Services. Five years ago I would have NEVER SAID that!

Worked for McLaren Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!