McLaren Regional Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Excellent Employer

Director (Current Employee) Flint, MI

ProsVery engaged physicians and colleagues

ConsA bigger corporation but still friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide excellent care

More Cons then Pros

Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsEnjoyed those I worked with. Enjoyed the patients and caring for them. Pay wasn't too bad, I liked the 12 hour shifts.

ConsHorrible management, human resources, and union. Very unorganized. Quick to fire instead of simply asking questions after working there for 6 years. Usually understaffed and very busy. Heavy patient load. Management was too worried about making friends with staff members then being a manager. Facility always worried more about being over on daily cost then having efficient staff which in the end the patients suffered from this.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery poor efforts in everything, too busy playing the like and dislike people game. Management is there to be management not judge people or try to make friends with staff.

Laboratory Services

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew Equipment, flexible schedule, good medical benefits

ConsPoorly managed on several levels, Low moral of employees, unethical behavior by staff and some management. Long time employees feel threaten by change. Not a healthy working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the Union and the philosophy they bring with it, reward people for merit, idea and professionalism.
    Look to innovation and companies that are geting it right.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Watch your back

ProsGreat place for employment
    Amazing if you are part of the union
    The people that you get to know personally will open up and allow you to network

ConsManagement doesn't know anything, and that's why this company is falling apart. This is also why out of the 3 hospitals in Flint - they are know the 3rd best. The hand feed the other hospitals patients b/c of LACK of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out there on the floors - get to know the place. Sitting in your offices everyday and not moving will not help you in the long run. If you aren't out there experiencing things first hand you will never know what you are truly "managing".

great place to work, they take care of their nurses

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Mount Clemens, MI

Prosgood pay, union, flexible management

Conscomputer documentation system is awful to navigate.

Palatable, if you can deal with tenuous job security and out-of-touch management.

I See All Sides (Current Employee) Flint, MI

Pros~Nice staff & patient population.
    ~Pay is competitive (despite location).
    ~Routine opportunities for CE.
    ~RNs have good union, it seems.
    ~Focusing more on evidence-based medicine, applying to hospital policies with senior staff input. (however, motivation is monetary)
    ~New, super-cool Proton Beam radiation center almost open! VERY forward thinking (will be sixth in the U.S.!) Good for patients, McLaren and community!!!
    ~Concierge Service: paid for by McLaren, these folks will take your car for an oil change, get your groceries, run your errands while U R @work. Very Nice people; convenient and a great perk for working here.
    ~Steady work.
    ~Admins are polite in hallways.
    ~CEO matches employee donations to United Way!

Cons~Administration can focus too much on a short-term goal, looses feel of day-to-day management issues. (know your house and how to keep it in order)
    ~Knee-jerk reaction to issue-resolution; not including info from workers/ stakeholders/ support staff into the decision-making process. (if so, decisions would command more respect) (know how to get your house back in order, peacefully)
    ~Underlying tension of Admin-vs-workers is distracting background static in every interaction.
    ~"not-for-profit" the most blatant lie. McLaren Healthcare Corporation, with many hospitals under her wing, makes huge "profit" because she can force supplies to lower prices, due to her awesome purchasing power. Therefore: 1) Everything provided by the lowest bidder: suplies, EMR. 2) Profits not returned to infrastructure nor working people; Admins get the bonuses. As the world turns, so does "not-for-profit"
    ~Those w/o union are employed at-will. I've seen 'em come, & I've seen 'em go... You have been warned...

Advice to Senior Management1) Most staff want to do a great job for a long time, with a winning team in a secure environment. Invest a little more time and you will see this (and you will see those who are not team players). (Know your house and how to keep it in order)
    2) We'll be more understanding of your mistakes, if you are understanding of ours. Let's grow together : )
    3) Let's not compromise patient care because we were pinching a penny with short staff. Hospitals need some redundancy to cover in-house emergencies. Perhaps Management/ Admins are short-staffed as well, eh?
    4) Hang in there! You can do it!

Overall my experience there was alright, but, not what is expected from an employer in this field.

Interventional Radiology/Resource Pool RN (Former Employee) Petoskey, MI

ProsClose knit community, good learning experiences. The location is great for people who love the outdoors and four season activity.

ConsSalary range low for RN profession and RNs are not treated well. Support staff such as kitchen help, maintenance and security are treated better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your core nursing staff better. Travel RNs shouldn't be treated or put on a higher level than your core nursing staff.

Support Services

Support Services (Current Employee) Flint, MI

ProsThe company has pretty good benefits. McLaren has always been know for it's service. For me the location couldn't be better.

ConsHuman Resources is corrupt. It used to be that you could hire in a work your way up. Now, every job even entry level, when applying you are given the explanation someone with more qualifications was given the job. How? They are outsourcing at an unbelievable rate. They are cutting the employee benefits at an unbelievable rate, and the turnover in the new hire employee's is absolutely terrible. They hire casual employee's and work them like they are F/T. In doing this
    they have a tremendous overturn, As an employee I don't think this is they way to "Stardom". It is a way of poor work ethic. Period. The best managers are the ones that have done the job. They are hiring managers that have NO HOSPITAL EXPERIENCE. If you manage a gas station you cannot come in to a hospital environment and know what you are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the turnover in your managers. Something is wrong when you have the kind of turnover in employees and managers at Mclaren Reg. The turnover seems to me needs to be with the upper management. They are taking the company down the wrong road. Nurse managers that are there for 6 months then gone. Come on. You hired people that are not familier with the basics at McLaren. Have never done the job or managed. There is a reason for this and the community is aware. McLarens ratings are the worst they have ever been, yet they are making money hand over fist. Advice: Go back to employing your own management teams. They fantastic. They knew the jobs because they DID THEM. The place is total caous, no good leadership in Support Services. Five years ago I would have NEVER SAID that!

Mclaren Regional Medical Center

Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) Flint, MI

Prosfreedom to do my job without someone harping over me. They also help you with tuition reimbursement so you can improve yourself.

Consthe pay isn't all that great. Sometimes some of the more "agressive" personalities get treated like they are better or smarter then the less agressive people.

Advice to Senior Managementplease treat employees fairly. And if someone is quite or does not toot their own horn all the time, it does not mean they are incompetant or less valuable then the employees that are always acting like know it alls. If you need to let an employee know they made a mistake, please do it in private.

Areas for Improvement, but one of the few growing employers in Flint

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew proton center promises new opportunities and the chance to become a key destination for cancer patients. Great leadership by upper management

ConsTough hours and a few facilities in the main building could be improved, but overall a good place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put the patient first in everything that you do

Worked for McLaren Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!