McLean Hospital

McLean Hospital President and Psychiatrist in Chief Scott Rauch

Scott Rauch

Dissociative Disorders Unit provides excellent care

Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsA sense of community, lots of dynamic talent, you feel as though everyone is working as a team

ConsEntire staff is white and does not talk about race at all

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify staff backgrounds and perspectives. Pay social workers more!!!!

Great atmosphere to work in--historic, knowledgable hospital

Community Residence Counselor (Current Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsFlexible hours, Always busy, Friendly staff, interactive work atmosphere, lots of room to grow and learn

Consthe salary is not that great

Research intern

Research Intern (Current Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsProfessional environment
    Very friendly employees
    Laid back supervisors

ConsMy research aims and tasks were relayed in a confusing manner at times

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No chance for promotion unless your name ends with the intials MD, Ph.D, Psy.D or LICSW

ProsCo-workers are great and everyone trys to be supportive of one another.

ConsPoor Administrative Structure. If you are a researcher or clinician this is the greatest place to work, otherwise.....

Advice to Senior ManagementLess Senior Management with PH.D,s or MD's

Great place to make a difference!

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsThere are so many talented people working at McLean Hospital that it is impossible not to learn something on a daily basis. Collaboration among all education levels is encouraged and everyone's input is valued. People truly care about the patients they are treating and it is evidenced in the daily operations on the units. Whether you are looking to get into the field or are an experienced clinician, McLean is a great place to be. Benefits are great and parking is free!

ConsThe cafeteria is small and does not have a large selection.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsExcellent benefits. Outstanding company to work for, patient care is priority- not money. Adequate staffing and safety for patients and staff. I learned a lot, and this is by far the best company I have worked for. The staffing ratio is stable and there is no "revolving door" of staff coming and going. The hospital really does care about patients, and giving the best care possible. There are weekly CEU trainings that are free.

ConsLower starting pay than other places. In some respects, the operation is run on a shoestring (non-profit). The private pay units are better funded (obviously), but the insurance-driven units are given a bit less TLC funding-wise. Never-the-less, all units give good care and have good clinicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring only social work licensed clinicians for case management, you could have access to so many more than qualified clinicians from other disciplines- LMHC, LMFT, etc. It isn't right to favor just one license, especially when others are just as qualified. Come into the 21st century, you are missing out!

I loved my job, coworkers, and supervisors at the OCD unit.

Community Residence Counselor (Former Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsCounselors are encouraged to learn as they work and develop their own counseling style.
    Senior staff does not micromanage
    Records are kept professionally and ethically
    Cafeteria is delicious

ConsSome of the buildings need updates or repairs
    The Bachelor's level counselors are expected to work 1-4 years only and then move on to grad school or elsewhere

Advice to Senior ManagementSome senior staff seem annoyed or unfriendly when asked for help, but they are always helpful regardless of their mood or the circumstances.

Apparently a good hospital for patients, not so much for employees

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsThe campus is very nice. They are clear about their employment policies and offer some perks, such as discounted membership to wholesale clubs or tickets to cultural events.

ConsThe pay is lower than at peer hospitals. HR is not very responsible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to retain talent, offer more competitive salaries or more engaged staff.

Operations Challenges

ProsDedicated personnel, hard workers, kind staff, but management seems more concerned about the status and wealth of physicans, and very unconcerned for the overall working community and this translates to challenges with patient care quality and increases risk to patients. My understanding is that McLean has really lost some of the remarkable qualities it had since moving under the Partners HealthCare corporate structure. I hope they are able to reclaim this.

Conslack of respect for workforce

Advice to Senior Managementadd worker respect to the mission as you would clients

Comfortable place to work, not a lot of career mobility

Administrative (Current Employee) Belmont, MA

ProsGreat benefits
    Great Campus
    Great, passionate people

ConsAverage Pay
    No upward mobility - people get stuck in the same job for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish leadership tracks.

Worked for McLean Hospital? Contribute to the Community!