McMaster-Carr

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jay Delaney

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits (basically the Golden Handcuffs)(in 37 reviews)

• Compensation is amazing--very conducive to work-life balance(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Management trainees hardly do more work, and the higher salary is not justifiable(in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is resistant to change and lacks decision-making authority(in 17 reviews)

What you will do for money and great benefits...

Business Operations Specialist (Current Employee) Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

ProsSalary and Benefits, your peers are typically smart and have a strong work ethic. They generally hire in past supervisors or those who have demonstrated that they have been promoted in their job history, proven success.

ConsManagers and Supervisors lack in people skills. Culture does not value the individual. Constant hiring and firing. They do not promote unless you are hired in as a manager. teamwork is not fostered - you are stuck in your own cubicle for the 8 hours. training is a joke: they email you a link to a 10min video or take you into a room for 15min: there, you're trained. the workplace is very individualistic. Technology stuck in the 80s and 90s.

Advice to Senior Managementget into the 21st century - update your technology so it doesn't crash every week.
    stop hiring and promoting look-out-for-yourself managers who have zero people skills. Examples:
    On my first day, the sales desk manager and our trainer took me and another new hire to lunch. The manager ignored us the entire lunch and did not direct any questions at us. It was as if we weren't there and when we did ask about the company and the people, he responded with short non-answers with a holier-than-thou arrogance and annoyance. Not a great first impression and the warning signs were all over the place.
    When that manager got promoted and they put in a new sales desk manager, she did not introduce herself and I don't think I exchanged a word with her the entire year she was the manager.
    When that manager got promoted and they put in yet another sales desk manager, he did set up a meet-me but he more or less was merely going through the motions, hardly making eye contact, instead buried in his phone. In the following year, he seemed disinterested in communicating with those that he was supposedly managing, choosing to interact only with other managers and supervisors.
    That guy got promoted as well.

Great compensation. No opportunities for advancement.

ProsGreat benefits, bonuses and retirement program.

ConsNo opportunities for advancement or promotion. Work is repetitive and boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart promoting from within.

long time employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prospay rate, benefits, employee outings, bonuses. They offer a full service cafeteria which is a first at a job for me, very clean environment

Consno room for advancement as 99% of the time they promote from outside the company, very young fresh out of college management trainees that no nothing about what we do and most of them never had a full time job. The company likes to tell you what you want to hear and seems to pretend to listen to the morale issues running rampant through the branch but does nothing about it

Advice to Senior Managementif you listen to the employees you should act on their issues not just blow smoke up our butts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Should have listened to the negative reviews! The money wasn't worth it!

(Former Employee) Santa Fe Springs, CA

ProsSure, when I was recruited I was ecstatic when I read about the salary range at this company. They have a 100% paid benefits package (medical, dental, vision), "unlimited sick days," generous tuition reimbursement program, and nice bonuses for everyone. During my time there, non-management got to go home after an 8 hour shift and was paid overtime after 8 hours. But I soon found that no monetary benefit in the world was worth this amount of dissatisfaction and unhappiness.

ConsI dreaded going into work every day. Poor morale is part of this company's culture. The high turnover rate, usually due to terminations, means that no one had much job security. Unless you were one of the companies favorites, which is quite subjective for management, don't expect to stay around. The top-down management mentality also leaves very little room for recommendations even though that's what they preached during the interview process: "We want you to improve the way we do things!" Ha!

Although they're strict on an 8 hour shift for non-management, management has the opposite expectation. So if you're interviewing for a management role, beware when they tell you about how much they care about your work-life balance. Also, "unlimited sick days" really doesn't mean unlimited. I would say if you took more than the number of fingers on one hand a year, say goodbye to your job.

Lastly, an observation I've made is that management is not racially diverse, but non-management is!

Help me be a better manager, professional and human being.

Packing (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPay, benefits and tuition reimbursement

ConsThere is a lack of leadership, direction, continuity, professional engagement and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with people skills, communication skills and supply chain, warehouse and logistics experience. I came to this organization with a different background than most.I had a management background,but I wanted to step away from managing to spend more time with my family. Coming to this organization was the best and worse professional decision I have ever made. There is no way a twenty-something fresh college graduate will be able to tell a experience warehouse employee between the ages of 35-55 how to do there job ! The training is poor and nothing is documented or written down except for errors and mistakes that are inevitable. I was literally told by some of the employees to "survive" just act dumb and smile. There is age, race, caste and class discrimination across the board. The organization does not recognize or care about seniority, so this lack of fairness causes conflict and a lack of teamwork amongst the employees. Two times throughout the year the company fires several employees and hire new employees, so two times a year the employees get nervous and wonder who will be living the "The Island". What you may consider a informal conversation with a supervisor is actually a formal review that is documented in your personnel file. How did I survive 6 years ? I was lucky enough to have 2 to 3 supervisors and managers who tried to engage their staff and were very professional. All but one is still there, the rest have moved on to bigger and better opportunities. Second, I did not act dumb or stupid from day one. Third, my reason for accepting the position never changed - there were no grand plans to retire from this place! Are you kidding ! I took advantage of the tuition reimbursement received my MBA and project management certification 100% paid by McMaster Carr. The turnover is horrendous, so ask the HR personnel what is the turnover ratio if you decide to take a chance? You never in your life meet so many un-happy people who have a job and make good money and this is the irony and sadness of this organization. i understand business is about profit and loss, but without a shadow of a doubt they are not getting the best from their employess and business processes. With no competition they had no reason to be better, but Grainger, Amazon Supply and Home Depot and raw material distributors are improving their market share. Finally, there is ony one reason to come to this company and that is you need a job quickly and/or your college tuition paid for. If you have other offers consider those, this will allow you to hold on to your sanity.

Best Benefits Anywhere, But is it really worth the pain?

Warehouse Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) Santa Fe Springs, CA

ProsBest Benefits around, great pay, tuition reimbursement, tickets to sporting events

ConsTerrible working environment. No vertical movement only horizontal. Empty promises of upward mobility. Was injured outside of work and they never accomodated my condition. They would not let me back to work for 6 months, all without pay! use the benefits, get free higher education and then leave. unless you enjoy mundane primative work.

Advice to Senior Managementno advice will be taken by management so does it really matter?

Should have listened to these negative reviews

Sales Advocate (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Day to day is very structured and managed to the minute. 2 hours on the phone, 15 minute break, 90 minutes on, 45 minute lunch, 3 hours on, 15 minute break, 75 minutes on then log out and go home. Most people won't like the regimented schedule, but after I had spent 3 years working nights and weekends, that was a welcome change. Renovated subsidized cafeteria with decent food. Nice coworkers who are all in this together against 'the man'. They have tuition reimbursement and a nice company bonus, but you won't be there long enough to truly benefit from that. Company is well positioned in the market and has more than enough business.

ConsOn the phone (or entering orders, or responding to emails) all day every day. Expectations are almost unreachably high and they WILL find any reason possible to credit you with mistakes and/or fire you. Over the course of 18 months of employment I was credited with 5 total errors out of approximately 50,000 calls I took. That was apparently too many. I received my annual review telling me I was doing fine, and didn't have another monthly call review after that until 4 months later when I was told I was being let go for failing to meet expectations. I was not the only one. If you can manage to last, it can be rewarding, but beware...

Advice to Senior ManagementChange nothing. The system is clearly working (provide excellent pay and benefits, implement impossible standards of performance, and hire/fire as the company sees fit when performance dips even the slightest to keep faces fresh). The company is making tons of money and doing so while maintaining a revolving door of employees.

Just Amazing

Warehouse Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe training is amazing with the focus on your development and your success

ConsNone as of yet. I am on my second week of training and these employee really help one another out.

Better than working in a cubicle but not by much

Warehouse Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsGreat, great, great benefits and pay

ConsNo time to do anything. Work life balance is a joke at this company

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within

Not the worst place, but most go on to do better

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOutstanding benefits, competitive pay, reasonable work-life balance, and talented employees. There is a strong focus on customer service, operational efficiency, and generally doing the right thing.

ConsExtremely top-down management style that doesn't empower or provide much autonomy for employees at most levels. Very conservative and punitive culture. Strong tendency towards confirmation bias.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid fostering a culture that celebrates criticism for the sake of criticism. You've got plenty of smart people around - think twice about promoting the ones who are difficult to work for and toxic for morale.

Worked for McMaster-Carr? Contribute to the Community!