McMaster-Carr

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.5

Jay Delaney

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits (basically the Golden Handcuffs) (in 43 reviews)

• Compensation is amazing--very conducive to work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Management trainees hardly do more work, and the higher salary is not justifiable (in 23 reviews)

• Micromanagement and no room for advancement at this place (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Do good work and be rewarded!

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

McMaster Carr is excessively fair. No one plays around on Facebook or does anything else beside work during scheduled hours, and some people consider that culture restrictive. However, in return for putting in 8 solid hours of work per day, you get 1) unheard-of retirement benefits and excellent healthcare 2) the guarantee that your job will never make you work long hours (if you do, you're very well compensated for it--not like other companies that expect salaried employees to just suck it up) 3) a fast promotion track for management. I won't lie, people tend to love it or hate it, but if you're smart, quick to catch on, someone who thrives in a sink-or-swim environment, and someone who is excited by business problems you can sink your teeth into, McMaster Carr is one of the best companies out there to work for. It is an exceptionally ethical and well balanced work environment. I almost didn't take my job offer with them due to the negative reviews here, but my experience could not be more at odds with the experiences posted here. Take the chance--this company fast tracks you to financial security and business impact.

Cons

It is a sink-or-swim environment. Job security is earned, not guaranteed--we don't sign contracts. And that's really scary for some people (rightfully so.) Non-management employees are held to strict measurable standards and a certain number of errors equals no more job. For management, if they don't feel that you have potential to move up or if you are not having a measurable impact, you could be let go. However, this should never be a surprise. Do good work, be proactive, and you will be successful.

Business Operations Specialist

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company truly offers competitive compensation, work-life balance, benefits, bonus checks, and perks.

Cons

This place is a little intimidating. I have been here for less than a year and I already feel the pressure to be a perfectionist. There is an unspoken fear that if you don't meet performance metrics you will easily get fired. Job security is the only negative I have for this company. I give my best effort each day and hold no regrets. But, I have a contingency plan and I'm building 6-months of savings in case I hear the news I'm no longer needed. I guess that is why they compensate so well. High Risk, High Reward!

A top-down cultural change. Glassdoor.com and Indeed.com are a PR nightmare. Especially if you are trying to recruit the best and the brightest.

A great employer, and great customer service!

Current Employee - Router of Incoming Orders/Emails in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Router of Incoming Orders/Emails in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in: Clean, positive, and respectful of all employees. The feedback from customers' is usually gratitude for the fast service and prompt responses. The benefits are great...offers tuition which helped me
    receive a degree in Spanish. I agree with the customers: Great company and helpful whenever possible. Has great
    summer activities.

Cons

The company values are not one of the Cons. There are yearly updates on code of conduct and how to make the work environment a better place for all. Language is always respectful and helpful. Time off with pay does not apply
    to part time workers; vacation pay is the same as for full time employees.

Well run, great customer service, clean and a great environment, respectful to employees. Management does a great job...! Entry supervisors and entry Manager.:...have worked to improve our department and have usually tried to work with special requests. Keep training supervisors as has been done with those in the Entry department. Great to work for; I would add, they were kind!

Management is Arrogant, Egotistical, and Inconsiderate

Current Employee - Bin Ops in Aurora, OH
    Current Employee - Bin Ops in Aurora, OH

I have been working at McMaster-Carr

Pros

Money, benefits, other the other decent peons that I work with

Cons

Management doesn't care about its people at all. They don't have a heart and absolutely no soul. They'll chew you up today, and spit you out tomorrow. They only know how to reward with money, benefits, and some other perks. If that's all that's important to you, then it's the place for you. If you want to morally and ethically be treated like a human being, then I advise not sending in your resume. Management doesn't have the SKILL-SET to treat employees with a conscious. They'll screw you and sleep just fine at night…call it a gift, I guess. It all changed when SL retired and TR took over. She's leaving her mark. At least your predecessor cared about people, and actually said hello to them.

They're too arrogant to receive any advice. There isn't one peon at McMaster-Carr who's opinion, suggestions, or advice are worthy of the Great and Almighty McMaster Oz.

Golden Handcuffs came off this year!

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits: Tuition reimbursement, great bonus and retirement plan. Forty hour work week. Nice co-workers. That is about it.

Cons

No room for advancement. The company paid for my MBA and I was forced to leave since they do not promote from within. It is a great place to work for a while especially if you can make it six years since you will be vested in their retirement program but it is NOT a company to work at if you are looking for advancement opportunities. Golden handcuffs is the best way to describe the culture.

Stop your arrogance. You sell screws for God's sake- you aren't saving lives.

McMaster-Carr offers a unique work environment, with employees from multiple backgrounds.

Current Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has the best benefits, that will allow you to take care of your family. The work-life balance is great. You know exactly what time you will come and go each day. Overtime is usually offered, but it is not demanded.

Cons

Supervisors and managers usually looked puzzle during day to day operations.

Hire supervisors and managers with experience in warehouse operations.

Not a lot or room for mobility.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The bonus check was awesome. But it really should have been part of your salary.

Cons

No room to move up in company.

Very strange and stressful environment

Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits, smart people

Cons

Working and staying motivated while doing a very mundane job and being managed by people who have no people skills and only criticizes your performance.

Need to develop a new leadership philosophy if you want to get the best out of your employees

A path that ultimately goes nowhere

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, probably so you can put up with your work.

Cons

No opportunities for upward movement and no fulfillment in job satisfaction whatsoever. It's a routine desk job that isn't at all motivating.

Hire within. Make it clear what people are getting themselves into and stop trying to sell it as "business operations specialist" when it's really just a call center.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Vineland, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Vineland, NJ

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay and profit sharing are great, but at a cost...

Cons

They do not care anything about their employees and their well-being. They work you to the bone and then discard you when they bleed you dry.

Don't reinvent the wheel-stop treating your employees as if they're a means to an end.