McMaster-Carr Reviews

Reset

Training Pants Stepping Stone to Bigger and Better Things

Former Employee - Project Supervisor in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Supervisor in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

McMaster pays very well and they offer many employee benefits (100% free medical benefits, 100% company-contributed retirement, financial advisors, health and wellness subsidies, etc.) The management development program provides young professionals with the opportunity to see a variety of business functions in a relatively short period of time. I, for example, worked in 3 different departments in my 2 years with the company.

Cons

Here's the thing - I am a young professional with extremely ambitious goals for my career. I came to McMaster for the opportunity to learn people-management in a professional setting. I expected great things and was optimistic for my first 6 months. Unfortunately, I quickly learned, as did most of my co-workers, that McMaster leverages it's financial success and ability to pay well in such a way that employees literally FEAR their jobs, even when they're doing a good job. I for example, was told by several upper-managers that I was a front-runner who had a bright future at McMaster. Unfortunately, once I moved to another department, and started working under a new manager (Regional Manager to be specific), my fate changed. His management style and mine did not jive well. Before I knew it, large, important projects and initiatives were taken away from me and I was given small, menial tasks that eventually drove me away from the company. I was constantly made to feel sub-par even though I worked my rear end off day in and day out. After finally leaving the company for a start-up, where I have already been promoted in just 3 months by the way, I've heard stories from my old friends and co-workers about how it seems to only be getting worse. People who received 15% raises last year got canned this year.... sorry, what??? That's messed up. How about you DEVELOP your people McMaster? Don't can them because they screw up once or twice... that's called "the cost of doing business." Thought you would have figured that out after 100 years. If you like a culture and environment where your job is constantly on the line and where everyone is cut throat and likes to poke holes in your presentations and analysis just to make themselves look better, go for it - great fit for you. But, if you're looking for a rewarding and engaging career where upper management is interested in your development, quickly move past this company....

Advice to Management

You're shi* does stink! Don't make supervisors feel stupid in meetings because they overlooked ONE detail.... remember, they probably put HOURS of thought into the presentation you're currently poking holes in. I get it, you need to ask thought-provoking questions, but seriously, if you make your people happy, they'll move mountains for you. Trust me, I was planning to spend a 40 year career here until you drove me away. Its unfortunate too because now I work for a startup, where I'm doing more in a day than I did in a month at your sorry excuse for a career-company.

Baaaaaah for your sheep herder

Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Pay+ bonus was very cozy. Benefits were 100% taken care of. Introductory vacation time allowed was generous.

Cons

Baaaaah. Where do I start? If you work here and you are not in management, you're a mindless sheep. Your thoughts don't matter and you live in fear. New managers literally couldn't do my job for the first 6-8 months I was there yet decided my fate. While I'll point out I wasn't a 5 star employee, I want to acknowledge the morale of that place was awful. I saw no reason to go 100% because McMaster operates on nothing but negative feedback. I was literally warned by a trainer in my first few months to just go with the flow and question nothing because questioning the operation is the easiest way to get canned. After a year of being talked down to and having my spirit stomped in, I quit. Only giving them 2 stars because that salary is a game changer if handled properly in the short term you'll be there. Mostly likely you'll quit too, good luck though =).

Advice to Management

No saving them. Wouldn't surprise me if they literally had chips installed in their brains that made them do what is "best for the needs of the operation."

Bin Filler

Former Employee - Bin Filler in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Bin Filler in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr

Pros

Decent pay for the nature of the work. Excellent health benefits, which start from day one, I believe. Employer subsidized lunch room, with good food for low prices. A lot of my co-workers were nice people. If you live close, might be livable, as a job. The retirement benefits are great, if you ever manage to become vested. Employee discount on anything they sell, and their catalog is massive, so that was kind of nice.

Cons

Very high pressure organization. You'll be lucky to make it to being fully or even partially vested, in their retirement plan. Don't be one minute late to work, even if there is a jackknifed big-rig blocking the entire freeway, they will still blame you, and say that you should have found a way to make it on time. Literally. Very physically demanding warehouse job, helps you to get a lot of exercise, but lots of injuries happen, especially repetitive motion injuries. Management is overly rigid and you feel scrutinized, every second. Loud work environment, bad for ears. Someone wrote, about this company, "prepare to get fired," which was an apt comment, which I echo. Even the people that manage to hang in for a couple of decades, fear being fired, any day. My nick-name for the company was "McMonster-Carr." They hire these management track kids, right after they receive their bachelor degree, to lord it over the rank and file, whom management prefers to have a master degree. Go figure. Management has an elitist attitude, but they are mostly kids. The turn over is dizzying.

Warehouse

Current Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits no weekends, no nights, most of the people that work okay except the tenured personnel.

Cons

Management, 20 year olds fresh out of the top schools who have never had a job, but are trying to manage people who have been there for ten to twenty years.

Advice to Management

Promote within, Ivy League degrees do not equal management and leadership proficiency. For some of these people it is there first job, and they are highly unqualified to be management.

Business Operations Specialist

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

The benefits are by far the best thing the company offers. Although now those benefits are starting to decline. The compensation is above average and the work/life balance is nice.

Cons

Constant management change. Supervisors are 20-somethings who have know business acumen or experience. The work is monotonous and non-inspiring. You have NO direction over your career although they like to act like you do. In reality, your career is based on operation needs. The morale is the lowest I've ever seen at any company. THE MOST DEPRESSING, SOUL WRENCHING PLACE ON EARTH.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who know how to manage people and not data. Understand that the morale is a top-down issue, and good talent is not as replaceable as you think it is. Be as loyal to your employees as they are to you.

Great job, bad location

I have been working at McMaster-Carr

Pros

This place will get you to think in a structured way, always going back to the bottom line of profitability and making sure you ask the "Five Why"s when understanding the reason for doing something.

Cons

The environment can be hypercritical, which is also a pro in that it also drives the company's success. But it can get to you sometimes. But the location is terrible if you want to be near a big urban center.

All it takes is one person to sink you

I have been working at McMaster-Carr

Pros

Great benefits. Great pay. Great co-workers.

Cons

Popularity contest environment. It only takes one person in management to not like you and it's all downhill after many years of great work reviews. All though they cannot use FMLA against you...trust and believe they'll search high and low and make up another reason to "get" you. Don't plan on ever being sick. Don't plan on being anything less than perfect in their eyes. Don't expect to move up or around. It's all decided for you...if ever. Be prepared to plan vacations and days off a year in advance with little to no flexibility.

Advice to Management

Management and HR have all drank the kool-aid. It's pointless to voice anything.

Hazard specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

The expectations are extremely high.

Management Development Program - hit or miss

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at McMaster-Carr

Pros

People that work there are super smart and have crazy interesting backgrounds. Salary is fine (not THAT great compared to other jobs in Chicago), but the end of year bonus is amazing (3-5 months salary) and the retirement package is amazing (if you stay for 2+ years), and the fact that they pay for any classes you want is amazing.

Cons

There is almost no room for innovation or ownership of your work. If you are in "the operation" (sales, warehouse, finance, etc) it is the same routine of going in, doing your job, and going home. This is not a place for someone who is interested in having their work and their life intersect, as McMaster prides itself on completely isolating your personal life and your professional life.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees for feedback and insight as to what interests them. There are so many talented minds there, and they are suffocated in the sense that everyone just "puts their head down, does what they're told, and goes home." If you gave people 10% of their day to be creative (like 3M does, for example), you might have some particularly amazing ideas. Also, let management come from within. Bringing in young people to a weed-out management program sets a really negative tone across the company. As a member of the program, I never felt professionally developed, intellectually stimulated, or accountable for my work.

Good company but toxic culture

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and excellent learning and training opportunities. Many reasonably smart individuals who made impractical choices in college (e.g. gender studies majors at Ivy U). Lots of opportunities to explore specialized skills in operations management (customer research, communications management, corporate finance). Do not take this job expecting that it leads to "any future opportunities" -- this is not a liberal arts college. It is a career builder for operations management and an opportunity to further your education with tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Management gets in the way of itself by promoting an "overmanaged" culture. Every single action or activity is structured to provide a basis for "performance assessment." As a member of management, your job is more about building cases to fire employees than business development. The business more or less manages itself, and opportunities to improve mostly stem from gaps in knowledge because of all of the turnover (>40% / year).

Advice to Management

Most employees know how to do their jobs and make mistakes because of all of the stress imposed on them. Find ways to reduce turnover and stop rewarding managers with "kill lists." The current organizational culture is toxic.

RSS Feed </> Embed