McMaster-Carr Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
306 reviews filtered by

If you want good money, but dull work with high expectations, work here!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great pay, good amount of vacation/sick days, you're not expected to take your work home with you, they don't pressure employees to stay overtime.

Cons

Most employees don't enjoy the work. The company has extremely high expectations and uses fear to motivate their employees into hustling themselves. People often talked about having nervous breakdowns after work. Horrible culture to work in. Very dull workplace with no variety in the type of work done day-in and day-out. They're very strict about showing up and leaving exactly when you're scheduled to.

Ease up. Stop acting like a parent who's too busy to give your children any praise or even the smallest compliment.

Your attitude and willingness to work hard will determine how far you go here.

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I was recruited a few years ago I was skeptical of McMaster-Carr. However, I gave them a chance, came in to interview with them, and was surprised by how happy and professional everyone was. I haven’t been on Glassdoor in a few years, but after reading all the negative (and inappropriate) reviews, I felt like I should write about my experience. Here are the biggest pros for me:

People: Everyone I have met here is very intelligent. I love being able to talk to my co-workers at lunch and hear about all the great things they are doing with their lives. Some are going back to school and getting their MBAs, some are very involved with non-profits, some are helping put their kids through college. It’s such a diverse place and I have never worked for a company where I have respect for so many different people. I’ve never had an issue with management. I have found that our newest managers are humble people who aren’t afraid to lead and ask questions if they don’t know the answer.

Work: People that have never had a difficult and grueling job lack an appreciation for the type of work they do here. Yes, it is repetitive and like any job – it has its ups and downs. For me, being on the phone all day is a challenge but I compare it to my last job where I was working 50 hours a week, working weekends & holidays, and making less money …. Then all of a sudden this job seems pretty good. I don’t have to take work home with me and I get to spend the money I make on what makes me happy. I’ve never had that luxury before.

Culture: It's rare to see so many different people get along and be so productive together. Everyone leaves their issues and differences at home and comes here with one common goal - to get work done. The company also throws an incredible holiday party (this year it was at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel), has a company picnic, and hosts a few events here and there to encourage people to hang out outside of work.

Movement: It’s not your typical “do this and that you’ll end up here.” I was on the phone for just over two years, exceeded expectations, and then moved into a new role. What did I get out of that? Simple – another role to add to my resume, a new challenge that keeps me engaged and learning, more responsibility and honestly – more money. The truth is the company is growing, so I’m not a replacement for someone who “just got fired” – I am an addition to a growing department. My last company promoted me several times and all I got was a change in title, longer hours, more responsibility, and little more money.

Pay: This is the big one for a lot of people…. and yes – you do get paid well. It’s no secret that the week after the December bonus is paid out you’ll see several new cars in the parking lot. Apart from the good salary and sweet bonus – the company pays for your schooling. For some of my co-workers that means they get to attend an MBA program that costs $100K+… FOR FREE. That’s insane! Throw in a nice retirement package (you don’t have to save your own money because it’s so generous) and paid healthcare- what else do you need??

Cons

Feedback: I will begin by saying that I admire a company that has the guts to fire someone that is not performing well. Realistically, too many companies keep low performers around because they’re too afraid to get rid of them. I don’t worry about my job because I know that if I do it well I won’t get fired. Let’s be real – the position isn’t for everyone… if you want a place where you can come in late, hardly do any work, and not get any constructive criticism – this is not the place for you. You come in and you better be on your A-game. Again, it comes down to the fact that the company is full of smart, motivated, and well-educated people. A poor performer stands out like a sore thumb here! So the people that “resigned” probably did so because they knew they weren’t going anywhere because they weren’t performing.

Management – It’s time you had a frank conversation with your employees. (both the ones that are doing well and those that are not meeting expectations) Let your top-performers know where you see them and remind them how valuable they are. For the low performers, remind them they are not going anywhere if they don’t start performing. It’s that simple, open up with the communication.

Nice company, but not for long term

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Benefits, Benefits. You will never work nights or weekends. Great work-life balance. Great way to save money and pay off bills.

Cons

No room to move up the corporate latter. In this company you can go work in different departments but if your not hired as a manager trainee than you will not become a manager. This company does not promote from within.

Promote from within to keep your employees

Enjoy your "golden" handcuffs.

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You'll work with some really awesome, and intelligent people. The salary is much higher than one would expect for the job you're doing. The benefits are outrageous- fully paid healthcare, uncapped tuition reimbursement, fully funded retirement, end of year profit sharing. No more than 40 hours a weeks is expected of you.

Cons

The work environment is extremely volatile. The level of expecitation is seemingly unreachable, and you'll receive constant feedback which is never positive. Your job is in jeopardy at all times, and this is the type of environment McMaster-Carr fosters. There is no rooms for promotion unless you're hired into the MD program. You'll be managed by recent college graduates, must of whom have never held a job until now, but did attend a prestigious university. In short, most days the benefits don't outweigh the culture McMaster-Carr has. I feel sorry for each and every poor soul who walks through during an interview, as they know now of what they're considering.

Some of what you're doing is right. However, promote from within to reward good performance. Stop fostering a work environment which has every single employee fearful they will lose their job. Make McMaster-Carr a great place to work, rather than a place for great work.

Great Pay and Benefits with Little Room for Growth

Current Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Aurora, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Aurora, OH

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good Base Pay
    -Great Bonus
    -Great Retirement Contributions
    -Outstanding Benefits
    -No Mandatory Overtime/No Weekends
    -Operationally Excellent
    -Same Day Shipping

Cons

There is little room for growth for a young professional hired out of college as a warehouse worker. Many people are hired with a college degree but are stuck in warehouse jobs. The good workers are shuffled between departments, making that the companies way of "promoting" them. Workers are held to very high standards and must have excellent productivity so that job can be stressful.

Consider promoting from within instead of hiring management trainees from the typical feeder schools. Perhaps consider offering an internal management training program.

Company does not value quality individuals

Former Employee - Bin Ops
    Former Employee - Bin Ops

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, Mon-Fri schedule

Cons

in the Bins Department, where they place most of their new employees, you either meet their one error/month quota, or you will be put on written warning and subsequently let go if you don't improve. No exceptions! No room for advancement unless you are a manager favorite. They say they don't pressure you to work faster, but if you don't, you will have a supervisor breathing down your neck, also other fillers will get frustrated with you if you aren't picking up work as fast as they are. So you are constantly working fast, regardless of how heavy the materials are (and they get very heavy depending on where you are). Not for the faint of heart or physical ability.

Consider transferring quality employees to other areas if they are struggling in their initial department, especially since you do a terrible job of explaining the job demands to prospective employees. Managers have unreasonable expectations on employees, but they can't do the job themselves.

Beware..

Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McMaster-Carr

Pros

High pay, Benefits, bonus (up to 6 months of pay), yearly Christmas party, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Absolutely no job security, constant big brother watching and demeaning feedback. Treated like a mindless robot

I worked here for a little over a year. The work is thankless, backbreaking labor. I was laid off after a year along with 20% of their warehouse workforce. The company likes to "clean house" every 6 months to keep morale down and perceived productivity up, only to hire in a brand new group of trainees that have to be trained to do the exact same job and then laid off six months to a year later.

They promise a huge retirement if you can make their 90 rule (years of service + age = 90) but they lay off every single person I met right before that, basically screwing them out of their retirement health insurance.

Overall, horrible place to go. Unless you want a career in grunt menial labor, avoid this place like the plague. Having this company on your resume is a black mark down the road for your future careers.

Actually show you care about your employees. Foster your labor force and you will be so much more successful.

McMaster-Carr Santa Fe Springs a Great Company to Work For.

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for McMaster-Carr for 3 years now. I started as a business operations specialist in the phone contact center, and then moved departments to Sales Operations/Order Support. McMaster is a great company to work for. I love the standard 40 hours a week and no work at home philosophy. The work life balance is important to me after working in retail for several years. I also think the company hires a lot of smart people which keeps the company running and making decisions with how to evolve our business. They have outstanding benefits including fully paid health care for you and your spouse, cash profit sharing which can come out to several extra months salary, and a very generous retirement fund that they contribute to without requiring you to match.

Apart from the benefits, McMaster-Carr provides an environment for you to learn and grow. One thing to note is that employees tend to move laterally across departments. Unless you are hired into the management track, you should expect to do good work and even move departments over time, but vertical promotions are limited. I've really enjoyed moving to a new department as its helped me to learn another angle of the business. If you want a stable company that actually demonstrates they care for you in the benefits it provides, rather than rhetoric from managers making empty promises, then come work here.

I've noticed several negative reviews on this website and I suspect many of them are from ex-employee who were let go or were not a good fit. You are expected to perform here, so you can't expect to keep your job forever if you're not willing to put in the work.

Cons

The largest con for me was the limited opportunities for promotion. Work across most department is dictated by the demands of our customers and therefore you have to be able to handle a high volume of customer interactions/transactions per day.

Include more employees in strategy meetings and development projects. This will help employees to feel more involved in the process.

Too many changes, not enough balance

Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than a year)

Pros

benefits package = platinum
    pay = gold
    co-workers = silver
    work environment = copper

Cons

This company is a revolving door with constant changes and unrealistic expectations. I can't speak for every department, but beware..."Operations Specialist" is just a fancy way of customer service/data entry/grunt work! I don't care how they spin it, the work is extremely boring and the evaluations do not reflect the quality of your work.

Furthermore, you'll most likely be reviewed by someone who has never done your job and started working with the company after you were hired--which is kinda backwards considering McMaster-Carr prides itself on its century old history of being built from the ground up, but maybe 2% of their managers and supervisors start at an entry-level position.

Sending mass e-mails with changes and updates to procedures is inefficient, especially when there's a change implemented every week and you've already spent 6 months training new hires how to do it a different way. Why not compile all the changes into a mini training session?

It seems highly ineffective to continue training so many new hires just to fire and do it all over again, waste of time, resources and money for everyone. It's also unreasonable to move employees that are excelling in their current position to a completely new position in a different department without their consent and without them having any experience in the new position. Why not move those that are struggling with their current role or those that have asked to be moved somewhere where they can thrive, actually apply their degree and utilize their skills and talents for the better of the company?

Over-all, I think this job is too stressful for most people on every level. I watched so many smiles fade away after people were moved up in the ranks. I hope you guys get it right one day for the sake of the people that work so hard to make money for McMaster-Carr.

Worst management culture imaginable

Former Employee - Generalist in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Generalist in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

compensation and benefits are outstanding and you do not have to take your work home

Cons

you can have a PhD and MBA and never be considered promoteable if you were not hired on as a management trainee. Management trainees are taught to pass blame to subordinates and have no idea how to manage or get resources for their employees

Scrap the Management Trainee Program. I know it will never happen because every decision-maker at the company has been through it, but in subsequent job interviews, I've answered questions regarding management by listing the exact opposite characteristics of the McManagers - and was told it was the most solid description of effective management they'd ever heard. Also - consider promoting women.