McMaster-Carr Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.6

Jay Delaney

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits (basically the Golden Handcuffs) (in 43 reviews)

• Compensation is amazing--very conducive to work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Management trainees hardly do more work, and the higher salary is not justifiable (in 22 reviews)

• Absolutely no room for advancement (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Bizarre, negative culture, but great learning opportunity

Current Employee - Management in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Excellent pay
    -Smart coworkers
    -Excellent learning opportunity to be exposed to the inner-workings of an efficient, well-established, complex operation
    -Fast upward mobility within the mgmt track if you prove yourself
    -Great work-life balance. Contained 40 hr wks and you're not allowed to bring work home

Cons

-Bizarre culture
    -Negativity. Huge focus on exposing and reprimanding mistakes, as opposed to developing and capitalizing on strengths. Makes for horrible morale.
    -Strange dynamic. Management is young. Staffers are mostly middle-aged people annoyed with the revolving door of young managers telling them what they're doing wrong, when in reality, the staffers usually know the operation better than the young 'hot-shots'
    -Weird rules about the physical space. Maybe this has changed since I was there, but people were not allowed pictures or personal affects in their cubicles, a sweater on the back of their chair, or their purse/bag under their desk. Everything had to be clutter-free and sterile-looking. No coffee or food at your desk. Only water in a covered, company-issued styrofoam cup.

Let your people drink coffee, and tell them what they're doing right.

McM, a great place to be from...

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, tuition reimbursement is great. Once you leave, most other employers look pretty darn good.

Cons

If you get the feeling you don't belong, RUN. Not everyone is MCM material, and your life will be miserable if you aren't. Advancement is tough to come by, and work life balance is non-existent. Need a sick day? That's going on your review.

The Delaneys need to do what Google did in the beginning. Hire someone who knows how to run a business to lead. The management trainee program hurts you. Hire and promote the people that will get the best results to manage, not some ivy league kid.

Good pay, brutal work, no job security

Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay. That is pretty much it.

Cons

Beyond reasonable expectations of performance. I was responsible for restocking order fill areas in a portion of the warehouse the size of about 4 to 5 football fields with 500 aisles on each floor. In each of these aisles there are thousands of containers that are only identified by a numbered label. I had to move 2 containers a minute to just meet performance expectations. I had to find the container, which is like finding a needle in a haystack. Move it from a shelf way above my head or at my feet to a central shelf (these containers were frequently over 25lbs) and do this twice a minute for 8 hours.

Even though I had the highest performance in my department, I still got fired after 6 months. When I asked why I was being fired, all I got for an explanation was "The decision has already been made, we wont discuss it" was all I got.

Management will micromanage you, treat you like you are incompetent, and constantly move your performance goal so you cant meet their expectations. They will also routinely fire people to keep employee moral down.

Learn how to treat your employees. If you treated them as well as you pay them, your company would be a lot more successful.

Strange workplace culture but good pay and benefits

Former Employee - Marketing Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays well, good benefits, profit sharing, no overworking of employees.

Cons

Not particularly employee centric, so people are easily shuffled around and let go.

Empower employees more.

Not bad

Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Distribution Specialist in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Very Strong Salary and Good Benefits. I thought it was a great opportunity. It would have been better if it were closer to where I lived.

Cons

It was very far away from where I lived. There was definitely politics going on, just like any other work places. I thought it was negative at some points. All in All I thought it was a decent experience.

Worst place in the whole Universe

Former Employee - Generalist in Robbinsville, NJ
    Former Employee - Generalist in Robbinsville, NJ

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus + Benefits are great. You will meet fellow people who are equally under challenged and mentally exhausted from the abuse.

Cons

Micromanagement by untrained, socially inept fresh college grads with nothing but an IVY League diploma. No growth. You won't use much of your brain. DO NOT take a single day or moment off from work (even though they say you can) because then it will end up on your performance review one way or another. This is really the most bizarre, mentally exhausting place of employment. If you are young and ambitious, then do not work here. If you enjoy being spoken to like you are a special needs patient, then you will really feel great here.

please please please realize how miserable everyone is and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

RUN! DON'T LET THEM SUCK YOU IN!

Former Employee - Bin Ops in Robbinsville, NJ
    Former Employee - Bin Ops in Robbinsville, NJ

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits, pay is ok, bonus, free tickets, Christmas party is nice

Cons

HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT! They don't even know how to perform the jobs of the people they are MANAGING!?!?!? They have the standard of "1 error per month" but they don't hold ALL EMPLOYEES TO THESE STANDARDS!!!!!!!! If they like you, they will advance you to different positions in the warehouse and give you a raise, regardless of your multiple errors. If they don't like you, you'll get fired. Never know when your last day will be. NO JOB SECURITY. You walk ALL DAY. If you finish your work, don't you dare take a minute to go to the bathroom or rest your feet. However, the supervisors can sit on their butts all day, even when their directly in the way of their employees trying to perform their jobs. This company sounds great, and it could be great... but in reality this is a TERRIBLE company to work for. You work your butt off everyday and then one day they decide they don't want you there anymore and they get rid of you just like that. No warning. You hate being there every single day, the only thing that makes it bearable are your co-workers. Your body will hate you. The constant repetitive motion kills your joints. Most of the people working there have poles or rods or screws holding their legs together, but they MUST BE DONE WITH THEIR WORK IN 8 MINUTES OR ELSE!! Just absolutely unbelievable expectations, and no one trying to make the job more efficient. Unless youre being hired as a supervisor or manager where they will grossly over pay you for doing NOTHING, then don't even step foot inside the monstrosity!

Learn how to do the job of the department you are managing. Spend time LISTENING to the people who have been there longer than you have been ALIVE. They are the ones holding this company together, no you. Take the time to understand why your fillers are making errors, and TAKE THE TIME TO INVESTIGATE IT. It makes no difference to you when you fire an employee that works their butts off every day for you, but this is somebody's career. Their source of income. They have families and bills and houses and car payments... when you fire somebody who does their job because they miscounted one order out of 9,000 its WRONG. Especially because the supervisors can't even fill one order without messing it up.

Not a very fun place to work

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are world class

Cons

Odd barrier between salary and hourly employees. Work not very interesting or meaningful. Performance standards constantly changing, so you never really knew where you stood. Job security is non-existent, so folks are constantly on edge.

Promote line workers to management. While benefits and pay are great, lack of job security and fickleness of management means folks are constantly going to have an eye out for the next gig. There are better ways to motivate employees to do well than threaten to fire them.

poor experience and culture.

I have been working at McMaster-Carr

Pros

high salaries. they pay for you to grow. not a good company culture

Cons

Company doesn't respect it's employees. high turnover rate. High levels of scrutiny for all parties.

Worst experience of my career

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generous compensation and benefits
    Highly educated workforce
    Outstanding annual profit sharing bonuses for all employees

Cons

Questionable HR practices promote and terminate individuals based on personality not performance
    High degree of distrust between employees and management
    Upper management is resistant to change and lacks decision-making authority
    Performance motivation is fear-based on all levels