McMaster-Carr

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.6

Jay Delaney

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits (basically the Golden Handcuffs) (in 39 reviews)

• Compensation is amazing--very conducive to work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Management trainees hardly do more work, and the higher salary is not justifiable (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is resistant to change and lacks decision-making authority (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a very fun place to work

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

Pros

Salary and benefits are world class

Cons

Odd barrier between salary and hourly employees. Work not very interesting or meaningful. Performance standards constantly changing, so you never really knew where you stood. Job security is non-existent, so folks are constantly on edge.

Promote line workers to management. While benefits and pay are great, lack of job security and fickleness of management means folks are constantly going to have an eye out for the next gig. There are better ways to motivate employees to do well than threaten to fire them.

Worst experience of my career

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Generous compensation and benefits
    Highly educated workforce
    Outstanding annual profit sharing bonuses for all employees

Cons

Questionable HR practices promote and terminate individuals based on personality not performance
    High degree of distrust between employees and management
    Upper management is resistant to change and lacks decision-making authority
    Performance motivation is fear-based on all levels

poor experience and culture.

Pros

high salaries. they pay for you to grow. not a good company culture

Cons

Company doesn't respect it's employees. high turnover rate. High levels of scrutiny for all parties.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're able to conform - you'll fit right in.

Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The benefits are nearly unbeatable anywhere else - but there's a reason the benefits are what they are.

Fully-paid health insurance, profit sharing, fully-paid post-graduate education.

Good co-workers (outside of those in a management position)

Cons

There are too many to list. Supervisors are kids straight out of upper-tier colleges who have no idea how to manage or supervise the employees who have been there countless years.

You're just another wheel in the machine. If you become defective, you will be treated poorly until you either quit or get fired for false reasons that have been kept in your "file."

HR cannot be trusted. They will act like they are your friend and want to help you be a better employee, but they are just adding to your file until they have enough "reasons" to fire you.

The environment is more suited to a Hungarian sweatshop - before the Iron Curtain fell. As long as you don't have a voice, personality, or opinions, you will fit right in.

Policies are antiquated. Don't be on your cell phone texting or reaching out to the outside world. You'll be blacklisted and eventually fired. If you share your opinion or concerns with anyone pay grades above you, you will be seen as a broken piece of the machine.

Promote from within and listen to concerns from your low-tiered employees. Your supervisors and managers are not omnipotent, and it you'd listen to concerns from the lowly, you'd have less turnover and perhaps happier employees.

Don't fall for it. Hold out for another offer

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Benefits and profit sharing. You're not unemployed.

Cons

I'm trying my best to be diplomatic. But if you value yourself, your skills, have self respect, and any sort of clue about business at all, don't do this to yourself. Check your soul at the door and prepare to be disrespected and humiliated daily. People constantly quit without notice for a host of valid reasons.

They are not open to suggestions or feedback but if they were I would ask for some leadership qualities, social skills, and merit-based. "Management" here is the opposite of what you would consider leadership. Horrendous.

Great Company

Former Employee - Hazardous Materials  in  Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Hazardous Materials in Santa Fe Springs, CA

Pros

The coworkers are great, highly educated, knowledgeable, and friendly. The company culture is fantastic.

Cons

There are non that I think of.

none

Not great, but hard to complain too much

Former Employee - Packer  in  Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Packer in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Well, mostly money. I had a college education and a career as a writer going for me when I began working at the company. I was pretty reluctant to accept a job packing boxes at a warehouse but the money and benefits made it hard to turn down, especially when I was unemployed at the time. I thought I'd stay until I found something else and stayed nearly 2 years. Most of the people I worked with and for were nice folks. A few I didn't care for, mostly in management, but no more so than most other jobs.

Again.. the money. You won't find pay, benefits or retirement like this at any other company in the country, and certainly not while performing unskilled labor - although the job can also be demanding at times.

Cons

The work is horrifically boring and there isn't really anywhere to go if you desire to have a career beyond the warehouse. I suppose this would be directed mostly at the college educated people in the warehouse who think because of their degree or past career history that they are just killing time before a management position - you aren't. If you're hired as a grunt, you'll stay one. This would be more acceptable if you ever had any idea of what your future would be or where you were going. Secrecy and some sort of pretentious aura of mystery surround everything at the company. It was truly one of the most impressive companies I've worked for, but also one of the strangest. Reviews were just pointless and usually filled with lies about all the exciting opps that awaited you... six months later you'd get the same speech again, usually from your new supervisor (they don't last too long). That was my xp anyway, others seemed to receive nothing but negative feedback. Regardless, your standing at the company could change at a moments notice. Mess up one pack and you'd hear about for two weeks. Must be willing to be treated like a child.

Yes, people get fired. Again, I'm not sure it's as bad as it appears while you're there. The standards are high and the majority of people, while usually fine workers anywhere else, probably weren't cutting it at McM. That being said, if they needed to drop staffing levels (in October, usually) they'll find away and I certainly think they let people go that I highly doubt deserved it... welcome to capitalism I guess. Others were even fired after 10 or 15 years... after seemingly giving their lives to the place and they were usually shocked when it happened.

I will say, I waited months after leaving to write this and I'm glad I did. I would not turn down this job based on what you read here. There were people who were happy there and you can certainly find success at the company. Trust me, no matter how long your are there it will be worth the paycheck. I know if I had written this while still an employee it would probably be a lot more negative. Take into account how many of these reviews were written the night of a termination. The grass is always greener, folks. I left and took a job at a place where people never get fired. They just work until they are burned out for crappy money and work 60 hours a week. It was better for my resume, but certainly not a whole lot more rewarding and a terrible decrease in pay. It may still take some time to ever reach the yearly-income I obtained at McM. My advice: Get in, get some money, get out. If you don't have a degree, go get one, they pay for it...

It doesn't really matter.. I did see some positive changes while I was there but what can I really tell a company with your success. Employees are taken care of financially, which i guess is all they are owed. You're doing something wrong from an employee engagement standpoint, but not from a financial one. Unlike a lot of companies, you at least give the peons some of the spoils. Bravo there.

Stodgy Office Environment, and They Play Favorites

Former Employee - Merchandising  in  Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Merchandising in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Good pay and benefits (basically the Golden Handcuffs)

Cons

Long timers think they run the place and let newbies know it

Be kinder and more receptive to new talent and ideas. It might make your people stay. If you don't care about that, let's just say it might make you more money.

Good Company Overall

Former Employee - Collections  in  Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Collections in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

The benefits were outstanding. Salary was competitive

Cons

They did not promote from within.

McM in Review

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Good management experience
    Interesting workforce
    Significant Responsibility early on

Cons

Bureaucratic
    Cliquish
    Highly Secretive Environment that one has to get used to

Worked for McMaster-Carr? Contribute to the Community!