McMenamins

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
1.8

Mike McMenamin

It began WONDERFULLY but then started to eat my soul.

I worked at McMenamins part-time

Pros

Initially, I loved it. My schedule was set, the team was wonderful. The team environment was great, especially on busy nights when you had wonderful coworkers on the floor with you.

Cons

Upper management really doesn't seem to care about the team and one of my managers didn't really care about life outside of work, which meant that we, as employees, shouldn't care about life outside of work. We had some management changes and my schedule went from predictable, challenging, to boring, variable and difficult to change.

Listen to your team members- try to understand them and don't, don't, DON'T try to force them to work when they have family emergencies...

This company used to feel like a family-run business, but now it's becoming increasingly corporate.

Current Employee - Caterer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Caterer in Portland, OR

I have been working at McMenamins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mcmenamims offers lots of opportunities for variety in experience--location transfers, interdepartmental work, and opportunities to work at multiple locations as needed.

Cons

There is little chance of advancement past lower management. Upper management positions are held by very long term members.

The organization's policies and procedures are not strictly defined, universally followed, or enforced. Policies seem to exist only to create a paper trail for those employees who do not fit into the workplace culture (as terms for dismissal).

If you have 0 experience, work here til you can get something better

Former Employee - Pubstaff, Aam, Am, Bartending  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Pubstaff, Aam, Am, Bartending in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

No experience necessary to get hired, great beer and wine, discounts on hotels and services, ability to get on guest list at Crystal Ballroom

Cons

Too cheap to provide adequate support for staff, lots of popularity contests for positions that result in poor work performance from management, including staff at HQ, lots of "looking the other way" from management to avoid paperwork, LOTS of working off the clock and zero breaks for hourly staff

If you want to have full service in your restaurants then you need to pay for a fully staffed restaurant. This means hosting, expediting at ALL locations not just the properties. Paying BOH reasonable wages without relying on FOH to supplement BOH wages would raise morale on the floor, as would more financial compensation for AAM and AM positions. Stop pretending that everyone gets breaks and are not being overworked to meet the ridiculous goal of 16% COMBINED labor. Also, the inclement weather policy is downright dangerous at times; your employees have a right to safety.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mcmenamins is a corporately structured restaurant chain that does not value its employees.

Former Employee - AAM/Bartender/Server  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - AAM/Bartender/Server in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual environment, can learn new skills, meet great coworkers.

Cons

Very little compensation for promotion. Benefits including health insurance and time off are not generous. Almost no room for creativity in the work environment.

Your company will not thrive until you are willing to compensate middle management in a way that will attract talent and motivate people to work hard in that position. I saw many middle to lower management positions open up that nobody wanted because there was virtually no reward for taking on more responsibilities.

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at McMenamins full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. You can find a better place to work

Cons

They try to run ridiculously low labor numbers so that means individuals are doing the job of three people. You are expected to do be perfect in everything you do and if you aren't you are severely reprimanded. The people running this company are crazy. It's a boy's club too, women are treated like second-class citizens.

Great People Terrible manegement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Coworker support system and great open space to work with. I have been here for a while and have seen the changes and although many of them have been negative, there have been a few such as having a clear focus on your task and having coworkers to help if needed. Also its nice having perks like free movies, discounted rooms, and discounted lunchs.

Cons

Very hard to keep track of all the updated tasks the management gives. There is some serious issues with the balance between quality of work and labor hours. It seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Its very hard to make plans more then a week in advance because of the constantly changing schedule. Also I worked there for almost 2 years and I never got a pay raise.

I know its temping to micromanage your employees but it just doesn't work. It stresses everyone around you and hurts their confidence in the job. The fact that your employees have to pay attention to so many small things doesn't just affect their work but yours as well.

So much potential ruined by the increasingly quarterly profit driven corporate culture

Current Employee - Pubstaff
    Current Employee - Pubstaff

I have been working at McMenamins part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's a pretty great crucible for the service industry at certain pubs and locations, a lot of the employees and managers are great.

Cons

Unless you are management or it's the busy season you will not get full time. The wages are frozen so don't expect raises. The company has a repuation for poor service with nicknames like "mcminimums". Regular (biannual or more often in recent years) price increases on the menu alienate regular customers. The company operates with a labour goal just barely above half the average labour costs of other restaurants in the area, you WILL be understaffed.

Stop trying to standardize all your pubs simply to make middle management's job easier. Places like chili's get to do that because when they open a restaurant there is a template for kitchen setup and the like.

Over worked, underpaid, unappreciated.

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant Assistant Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the crew and middle management are great. It's a good place to cut your teeth in the restaurant industry.

Cons

The corporate climate has become really awkward and quite unbearable given the "hippy" atmosphere the Mcmenamins have worked to cultivate.

-Low pay. Management are all in a raise freeze while the crew still receives raises albeit small raises.
    -$67 Christmas bonus.
    -Unobtainable labor/food cost goals.
    -Worst restaurant manager in all of Oregon or Wisconsin.
    -Gossiping management

My particular GM never acknowledged my existence the entire time I worked for him (I was a manager). I understand they're busy guys but after 3 months of seeing him 3-4 times a week it was obvious that this is standard procedure.

Maybe that's not a good way to manage.

Fun, but unprofessional company

Former Employee - Host  in  Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Host in Eugene, OR

I worked at McMenamins part-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, it was a fun place to work. Generally the other staff was friendly and the managers treated the employees in a friendly manner.

Cons

Some of the employees had AWFUL attitudes (cussing constantly, badmouthing the customers, spreading workplace drama). Also, higher-up managers would badmouth other employees and general managers.

Keep your opinions to yourself and never badmouth customers or other employees!

Customers are great! No management support to help provide better customer service and way too hard on servers and staff

Former Employee - AAM/Bartender/Server  in  Forest Grove, OR
    Former Employee - AAM/Bartender/Server in Forest Grove, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best and understanding customers around. The "regular" McCustomers are usually great because they have been around for the slow service long enough to get adjusted.

Cons

I was a Bartender/AAM at one of the hotels for over 4 years. During that time I figured out exactly what some others are saying about the upper management not giving a crap about the employees and ONLY caring about the bottom dollar and how to get there. Very frustrating! The pubs all HAVE to run under a 10% labor goal or risk getting your butt chewed and drilled on why you couldn't get to their obscene number! That means people get 'cut' early and sent home while the remainder are left to do all the cleanup and tend to the customers. I personally said screw it and ran the labor a bit higher on my shifts just to make the staff and customers have a better experience. (That is ultimately what cost me my job, which is okay because now I am in a WAY better place now.) Nothing worse than running a shift and apologizing to every other table about the slow service and cold food because we didn’t have the staff on the floor to take care of them properly. Rule #1 for working there... Don't get into bottom management unless you have a high tolerance for getting flak from 1- the upper management, 2- the customer, 3- the people on the shift that you are leading!

One final note. Want to see what it’s like to work this company watch the servers and see for yourself just how happy these people are. Some are good at hiding it and some are new to the Mc world. All of the staff that I worked with that never got into the bottom management (AAM/AM) was awesome. Really good people and we had a lot of fun when we were off work!

Mike/Brian, look closely at some of your GM's, Pub managers, down to the AM's and deicide if they are really who you want to represent you and the empire that you guys have built! Put out a mailer to all your staff for a review of the place that they work and make it so they can send it in or drop off anonymously and see what they are saying. I loved seeing you two around and was always more than happy to serve you either a cocktail or a bottle of wine.

Worked for McMenamins? Contribute to the Community!