McMenamins

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
1.7

Mike McMenamin

It began WONDERFULLY but then started to eat my soul.

I worked at McMenamins part-time

Pros

Initially, I loved it. My schedule was set, the team was wonderful. The team environment was great, especially on busy nights when you had wonderful coworkers on the floor with you.

Cons

Upper management really doesn't seem to care about the team and one of my managers didn't really care about life outside of work, which meant that we, as employees, shouldn't care about life outside of work. We had some management changes and my schedule went from predictable, challenging, to boring, variable and difficult to change.

Listen to your team members- try to understand them and don't, don't, DON'T try to force them to work when they have family emergencies...

Unimaginably Bad Company.

Current Employee - Bartender
    Current Employee - Bartender

I have been working at McMenamins part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for getting experience when you have none to begin with.

Cons

Misogynistic culture. Feels like working at the Wal-Mart of bars. I often feel like higher-ups are spying on me, making sure I am not "tailing shots" when I use a jigger, even though I adhere to their anal standards consistently. Older staff are consistently allowed to get away with not working very hard, if they are male. I've even seen men working here get caught stealing from the company (giving away free drinks), and two weeks later, female coworkers were "laid off" (told they could find another position within the company, making them ineligible for unemployment) because we were overstaffed, but they were not given any reason why they were the ones who lost their jobs. Conversely, dress code standards are considerably more lax for females, as long as you're pretty. Poor product quality. Absolutely no standard of cleanliness. No incentive to get into management, as the pay and benefits are minimal. Any vision they had fifteen years ago in regard to brewing, booking, etc. is over.

Spend less money on new properties and more money on labor. Hire more women for better positions. Discipline employees who are doing a crappy job more often than you hound the honest ones. If employees don't have real consequences, bad behavior will not stop, and it will crush the morale of those trying to work hard. Stop "combining" one staff with another; these are people's livelihoods you are messing with.

This company used to feel like a family-run business, but now it's becoming increasingly corporate.

Current Employee - Caterer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Caterer in Portland, OR

I have been working at McMenamins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mcmenamims offers lots of opportunities for variety in experience--location transfers, interdepartmental work, and opportunities to work at multiple locations as needed.

Cons

There is little chance of advancement past lower management. Upper management positions are held by very long term members.

The organization's policies and procedures are not strictly defined, universally followed, or enforced. Policies seem to exist only to create a paper trail for those employees who do not fit into the workplace culture (as terms for dismissal).

If you have 0 experience, work here til you can get something better

Former Employee - Pubstaff, Aam, Am, Bartending in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Pubstaff, Aam, Am, Bartending in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No experience necessary to get hired, great beer and wine, discounts on hotels and services, ability to get on guest list at Crystal Ballroom

Cons

Too cheap to provide adequate support for staff, lots of popularity contests for positions that result in poor work performance from management, including staff at HQ, lots of "looking the other way" from management to avoid paperwork, LOTS of working off the clock and zero breaks for hourly staff

If you want to have full service in your restaurants then you need to pay for a fully staffed restaurant. This means hosting, expediting at ALL locations not just the properties. Paying BOH reasonable wages without relying on FOH to supplement BOH wages would raise morale on the floor, as would more financial compensation for AAM and AM positions. Stop pretending that everyone gets breaks and are not being overworked to meet the ridiculous goal of 16% COMBINED labor. Also, the inclement weather policy is downright dangerous at times; your employees have a right to safety.

Mcmenamins is a corporately structured restaurant chain that does not value its employees.

Former Employee - AAM/Bartender/Server in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - AAM/Bartender/Server in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, can learn new skills, meet great coworkers.

Cons

Very little compensation for promotion. Benefits including health insurance and time off are not generous. Almost no room for creativity in the work environment.

Your company will not thrive until you are willing to compensate middle management in a way that will attract talent and motivate people to work hard in that position. I saw many middle to lower management positions open up that nobody wanted because there was virtually no reward for taking on more responsibilities.

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at McMenamins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. You can find a better place to work

Cons

They try to run ridiculously low labor numbers so that means individuals are doing the job of three people. You are expected to do be perfect in everything you do and if you aren't you are severely reprimanded. The people running this company are crazy. It's a boy's club too, women are treated like second-class citizens.

Great People Terrible manegement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Coworker support system and great open space to work with. I have been here for a while and have seen the changes and although many of them have been negative, there have been a few such as having a clear focus on your task and having coworkers to help if needed. Also its nice having perks like free movies, discounted rooms, and discounted lunchs.

Cons

Very hard to keep track of all the updated tasks the management gives. There is some serious issues with the balance between quality of work and labor hours. It seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Its very hard to make plans more then a week in advance because of the constantly changing schedule. Also I worked there for almost 2 years and I never got a pay raise.

I know its temping to micromanage your employees but it just doesn't work. It stresses everyone around you and hurts their confidence in the job. The fact that your employees have to pay attention to so many small things doesn't just affect their work but yours as well.

So much potential ruined by the increasingly quarterly profit driven corporate culture

Current Employee - Pubstaff
    Current Employee - Pubstaff

I have been working at McMenamins part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a pretty great crucible for the service industry at certain pubs and locations, a lot of the employees and managers are great.

Cons

Unless you are management or it's the busy season you will not get full time. The wages are frozen so don't expect raises. The company has a repuation for poor service with nicknames like "mcminimums". Regular (biannual or more often in recent years) price increases on the menu alienate regular customers. The company operates with a labour goal just barely above half the average labour costs of other restaurants in the area, you WILL be understaffed.

Stop trying to standardize all your pubs simply to make middle management's job easier. Places like chili's get to do that because when they open a restaurant there is a template for kitchen setup and the like.

Over worked, underpaid, unappreciated.

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at McMenamins full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the crew and middle management are great. It's a good place to cut your teeth in the restaurant industry.

Cons

The corporate climate has become really awkward and quite unbearable given the "hippy" atmosphere the Mcmenamins have worked to cultivate.

-Low pay. Management are all in a raise freeze while the crew still receives raises albeit small raises.
    -$67 Christmas bonus.
    -Unobtainable labor/food cost goals.
    -Worst restaurant manager in all of Oregon or Wisconsin.
    -Gossiping management

My particular GM never acknowledged my existence the entire time I worked for him (I was a manager). I understand they're busy guys but after 3 months of seeing him 3-4 times a week it was obvious that this is standard procedure.

Maybe that's not a good way to manage.

Fun, but unprofessional company

Former Employee - Host in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Host in Eugene, OR

I worked at McMenamins part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall, it was a fun place to work. Generally the other staff was friendly and the managers treated the employees in a friendly manner.

Cons

Some of the employees had AWFUL attitudes (cussing constantly, badmouthing the customers, spreading workplace drama). Also, higher-up managers would badmouth other employees and general managers.

Keep your opinions to yourself and never badmouth customers or other employees!