McMurry

3.5

Chris McMurry

Fantastic people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at McMurry as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people are really great and are all hardworking no matter what their capacity. Everyone is really kind and willing to help. There always seems to be free food along with what's called the "Minibar," which is exactly how it sounds. You can buy snacks/drinks/lunch for low prices down in the kitchen. The benefits package is pretty competitive from what I understand and compensation is reasonable for each market where the newly merged McMurry/TMG brand exists.

Cons

There have been some shakeups in the C-suite that are making personnel structure a little murky. Some layoffs in cost-centers, but there also seems to be some hiring happening. I can't figure it out.

My manager was amazing. I have no criticisms.

Post-merger flop and downward spiral...

I worked at McMurry full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Despite demanding expectations, the rapid digital/social/mobile media shift and the massive hit to "custom publishing" that was the 2008 recession, McMurry was a special place to work for many years. Strong, centralized leadership from the top, open-book finances, a sense of empowerment, focus on integration and developing expertise in emerging digital channels, commitment to charitable giving, structured performance reviews, enjoyable colleagues, encouragement to occasionally cut loose on the company dime, and, perhaps most important, a profit-share incentive for performance all made McMurry a challenging but fulfilling place to be right up to the merger in 2012.

Cons

As the saying goes, sometimes you don’t know a good job until you’ve had a bad one and that became the case after the company was merged with The Magazine Group (TMG) to become McMURRY/TMG, LLC. Catchy name, right!?

Chief Executives (also the private owners) of both companies stepped back to let a new C-suite distributed across the country take the reigns after purchase of their respective companies by an investment banking firm. Layoffs, lost benefits (including profit-share), poor communication and collaboration, little-to-no team structure across offices, lack of job descriptions or reviews, open in-fighting between legacy McMurry and TMG staff, and a nearly 90% turnover in Sales’ staff all led to one crappy year for the company and a tough environment for anyone working there. One particularly memorable moment came when the wooden faced investment bankers were brought in for a Q&A with staff that was broadcast live to all offices, presumably to put a human face to our new number-crunching overlords. It was an ill-conceived pandering to McMurry's "open-book" history at best and, in reality, further reduced morale among those assembled as the reality of the situation set in.

Worst of all, a clear opportunity to fill the niche in “content marketing” was lost as leadership got mired down in developing proprietary processes and trying to sell services to clients that neither side of the company knew how to execute on particularly well. Guidance from VPs and other middle-management may have helped in other areas but the rapid promotion of staff who — despite their other talents — didn't have the capacity or experience for managing a whole team or department was a hallmark of the new org chart.

Leadership should consider what made these respective organizations great — or at least successful — to begin with and take those principles to heart. Maybe the private equity backers won't like it but they stand to lose the most out of any group should more great talent walk out the door.

Don't go inventing new names for best practices or falling back on fake-it-till-you-make-it offerings in every imaginable industry. Play to your historical strengths and learn an industry or channel before diving head-first into selling it. Give people autonomy coupled with a clear strategic direction and, most important, a direct incentive for performance (monetary or otherwise) or else you run the risk of losing those who's pride is still propping them up but won't stay long before being poached for a better gig.

The only way situations like this improve is by people demanding better — or leaving. Let’s hope it becomes more of the first.

Rapid Descent

I worked at McMurry

Pros

Fast-moving environment in an exciting industry for those who can tolerate the turbulence.

Cons

After a merger and acquisition by an investment firm, the company has loss it's edge. Former perks and cultural strengths have been stripped away by ongoing cost-cutting measures. Top talent is leaving. Lean staffing discourages a healthy sense of work-life balance. Upward mobility and opportunity is based on politics, not merit of work. Individual autonomy and innovation is being replaced with process and procedure. Low morale and trust in leadership due to ongoing layoffs and evasive communication.

Shore up your remaining staff morale and resources, as this is the core of a business that is fueled by creativity and innovation. Engage employees with a clear and compelling vision for the company. Listen.

Overall, very positive.

I worked at McMurry full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Values based, committed to customer loyalty.

Cons

Complete commitment to corporate goals.

All I Want To Do is Work

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at McMurry full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment; Cool digs; Many freebies, like iTune cards, snacks on your desk when you come in, inter-office games, happy hour Fridays; Cash handouts; Technology is state-of-the-art; A Rock 'N' Roll vibe atmosphere. For a young person starting out, very attractive.

Cons

Tests, tests, and more tests! Before your hired. This company gives new meaning to psychological profiling. Be ready for online psychological testing. Drug testing. Work-related testing. 1.5-2 months to hire.

Lots of closed doors. Too many meetings! Ugh. 6-10 meetings per week. 15-minute meetings, 30-minute meetings, 1-2 hour meetings. Heck! There's meetings to discuss meetings.

Ironic for a communication company to lack, well, communicating. Many processes, knee-deep. May take a month or better just to grasp the processes. Booze flows freely, on Fridays, in inter-office meetings, very accessible and out in the open to all employees. Second the motion of sacrificing personal life for work life. Company will tell you one thing, then turn around and do another.

Less. Is. More!

professional, and good work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at McMurry

Pros

low turnover rate, very good people to work with. relaxed but professional atmosphere and group oriented. good communication in my experience with pleasant people. great understanding from management for work and life balance.

Cons

there seems like there is limited room for career growth. they seem stagnant with the work and clients they pull in.

periodically interview your employees (more than once a year, suggest 2-3 times a year) to see if they are happy with their current role, and what position they would like to grow in to... then make it happen :)

Great People, Good Opportunity...if you can break through the silos

I worked at McMurry

Pros

Incredible culture, friendly and helpful staff, they are constantly growing and looking to be the best in the market; Preston McMurry has build a great organization and his friendly and welcoming attitude goes a long way with employees.

Cons

Divisions are silos of knowledge; holding onto identity as a publisher which is hurting the other businesses; some of the managers are not competent. A lot of people talk about big ideas and results but rarely do what is necessary to achieve those results. A lot of time is spent talking, not doing.

Share knowledge across all divisions; it may cost some revenue at the outset, but it is the best long term solution for the company.

Don't Take My Word For It

Current Employee - Director of Campus Operations in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of Campus Operations in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at McMurry

Pros

I love this place and have worked here 14 years. In a year on my 15th anniversary, my "gift" isn't some pin or watch, it's $5,000 cash! The company lavishes staff with extraordinary benefits; this is but one example. I started as a part-timer in finance, and since have been promoted into jobs of increased responsibility multiple times. But, don't take my word for it, look at what others are saying. For the last three years the company has been named a Top 10 Best Places to Work in the U.S. (yes, the entire country) by the gold standard of such evaluators, the Great Place to Work Institute and the Society of Human Resource Management. In the company's anonymous annual internal survey, 79% of staff say this is the best place they have EVER worked. On a 1-5 scale (5 = thrilled), the average satisfaction level of staff is 4.11; even the people who say it isn't the best place they have ever worked still scored 3.44 satisfaction (3 = satisfied, 4 = more than satisfied). This company is remarkably transparent (shares more financial information with staff than public companies do) and loves to measure performance because things always get better when they are measured. Here's a quick story, without numbers, that says it all: when we interview people for jobs and ask them what they think of McMurry, they inevitably say, "Everyone seems so happy here."

Cons

In the annoymous survey I mentioned above, the company also asks staff what they think the company should be doing differently. This place is so good and has been so oriented toward satisfying its people for so long, that nowadays the improvement suggestions are dwindled down to things like "can we have music in the bathrooms" (which the company installed) and "there's too mcuh food around." Wow, life's good when that's all that's left that needs fixing! By the way, in response to one of the earlier comments about work/life balance, only 4 of 160-170 people said that needed to be addressed. So, while we do work hard, people here are rewarded for it, and clearly don't see it as a substantial issue. In summary, there are not many downsides (lordy, last year we all got year-end bonuses in the midst of the recession, and this year looks to have even higher bonuses), especially if you've worked elsewhere and compare this to that.

Keep doing what you're doing. Maintain the same priorities of 1) hiring truly talented people who fit our extraordinary culture, 2) doing everything within reason to let staff know they count and that you care about their satisfaction, and 3) continuing to manage/lead the company to the incredible success it has been achieving.

It's the best place to work...but you will work hard.

Current Employee - Anonymous. in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous. in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at McMurry

Pros

Company culture is great. Top down, managers care about staff career growth and job satisfaction. The CEO wants to make sure it is the best place to work. The staff is full of top notch professionals in every department. The creative work is award winning, and I'm proud to show people the quality of our creative work.

Cons

Hard work, you can't come here and coast. It's a company filled with top performers. You have to bring your A game every day. Food...there's free food around all the time...new staff usually gain a few pounds. Occasionally work/life balance can be a challenge.

Keep listening to staff, and continue the vision to keep McMurry ahead of the competitors.

McMurry is by far and away the best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - VP/Tremendous People in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - VP/Tremendous People in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at McMurry

Pros

I've worked at McMurry for eight years and believe the McMurry culture is wonderfully unique, it's the best place I have worked in my career, and I've been in the workforce for at least a hundred years. McMurry has been named one of the best companies to work for in the US. McMurry staff members are very bright and fun to work with, management cares and communicates openly, and everyone is encouraged to be creative and innovative. The eight McMurry values are real and do guide business decisions, so the company is ethical and forward-thinking. We focus on quality, so we can be proud of the work we do. We're not married to one media or agency mold. The company strategy has been smart, and our growth has provided great opportunities for advancement. There is regular training and coaching for career development, and staff feedback is constantly being solicited through surveys. Right now when so many companies are cutting back or folding we're doing well.

Cons

It's the best place to work; it is not necessarily the easiest place to work. McMurry's relentless focus on hiring the best people, together with a pretty lean philosophy on staffing, can create a workload that is more than some people are used to. Some really strong, seemingly qualified people don't get hired and at times that can be hard to understand. Plus, McMurry has many clients, and our staff usually find themselves working for more clients than in most agencies. The pace is fast and there is no room for slacking. Right now, however, we do have jobs with a great company that is weathering the storm really well. I'd rather work a little bit harder when times are good than have to endure layoffs when the economy is down.

Stay very focused on open communication, and stay focused on the big picture of company growth. That's the advice I would give senior management anywhere! McMurry management has done a really good job of balancing cost control, getting staff involved in cost savings initiatives, and rewarding innovation at the same time. Thankfully, that emphasis on innovation and growth hasn't changed with the economy.