McNichols Company

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.4

Gene McNichols

Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Garland, TX

I have been working at McNichols Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good team to work with, friendly and helpful. Very good branch managers. Great working hours, no 2nd and 3rd shifts, weekends, etc. Some overtime available. Very clean and organized shop. Very safety focused.

Cons

Average pay, raises haven't been good in a while and progression has been very slow.

Make sure pay rates keep up with the local economy.

I had a wonderful time while working at McNichols. It was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People working together as team. Their health benefits were excellent. Everyone has a chance to advance within their department or others. Everyone was willing to make sure the job got down. For example, they would stay late or come in early to complete the necessary project. Overall, it was a great place to work. I have great memories.

Cons

At the time I was employed with McNichols Company, I did not have an unpleasant experience.

Continue to keep in the loop on the base level of the teams

A cross between the military, prison, and a cult

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work day stops as soon as you walk out the door at the end of each day because it's not the type of job that you can do anything for outside of the company walls.

Cons

Management and their "spys" constantly monitor you on everything from how many times and for how long you go to the bathroom to what your personal conversations are when you are talking on your cell phone on your break/lunch hour even if you step outside. Employees would literally have to go sit in their car in order to get privacy to make a simple phone call during THEIR lunch/break time. Also, constantly having a mantra hammered in about how we should meet ever-increasing goals not with the expectancy of being compensated for our work, but for simply the "satisfaction" of helping the customers (translation: helping the customers to give more money to the company so that the CEO and his kids can fly in occasionally on their private jet to walk around the office and have us hero-worship him and his boys who we were repeatedly reminded will, after all, once day be in charge of the company). Bad enough that in the interviews they blatantly lie about the "bonuses" employees could make and do not pay them based on your actual productivity and the revenue you bring in, but instead base the bonuses on whether or not management likes you, they couldn't even spring on a decent holiday party without turning it into a 90 minute speech by management about next year's goals during which we were not allowed to so much as whisper, let alone socialize, and this was all done on our unpaid lunch hour - happy holidays!

People are great

I have been working at McNichols Company

Pros

Great co-workers and caring senior leadership managers. Excellent work atmosphere. Fast paced!

Cons

Opportunity for advancement and pay.

Hire intelligent midline managers. The type that will listen to the workers and include their views when making changes.

Unappreciated

I worked at McNichols Company

Pros

Ok benefits, decent healthcare, very generous paid time off, employees care about one another. Warehouse safety is critically emphasized on a daily basis.

Cons

Haven't seen a raise since 2008. The company demanded employees give 5 percent of our salary in 2009 and haven't gotten that back either. The Greed here is evident. Employees quit here often.

Give back to the employees who keep Your business going. I have a feeling the motive is to get everybody still employed there to quit so new cheaper employees can do the same work. Since there is little room for promotion or even a cost of living pay increase employees get discouraged after a while. The company would probably even do better if employees felt the respect they deserve.

McNichols is a great family company that holds to their core values and focus on improvement.

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with and wonderful sales training courses. The emphasis on education and training program are wonderful to ease you into the role.

Cons

There is not a whole lot of room for growth within the company and the operating system to enter orders was arduous and ancient.

Find a way to automate and cut down the order entry system to allow more time for selling.

I think McNichols Company is a great company to work for. They are a wonderful company who does the right thing.

Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

I think McNichols Company is a great company to work for. It can be difficult to be a large corporation and still hold on to values that the company was founded on.

McNichols wants their employees to grow and to feel empowered to do the best job possible.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Garland, TX

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

McNichols values their employees. Management would like to hear your ideas and opinions. They want you to grow in product knowledge and confidence and actively seek out ways to help their employees do better in their jobs. Training is ongoing and participation and hard work ensures your success. You are given a chance to shine and there is chance for advancement.

Cons

I don't think there are any true 'cons' of working for this company. Very upbeat environment, negativity is just not fostered here! Perhaps if you do not enjoy a fast pace environment then that could be considered a 'con' - but if you like that, then you will love it!

Wolves in sheep clothing!!!!

I worked at McNichols Company

Pros

They use the title of Christianity.

Cons

Liars using religion to trick people.

Tell the truth and stop using religion to hide your true colors.

Call Center Hamster on a Wheel

Former Employee - CSS in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CSS in Chicago, IL

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, job stys at work and you don't really 'bring it home' good training program - especially for entery level people wanting to expore sales as a potential career and struggling to find work in this job market.

Cons

Weird envrionment that is strongly rooted in Chrisianity and over the top (inappropriate) for 2013. Clear preference for men in management positions, end of story. Zero opportunity for woment to advance in any meaningful way at the branch and corporate level. Metals is a male dominated industry to begin with, but business is unabashedly secular. IE, a Christian version of Sharia Law.

Stop being so obtuse and leave the Bible verses off your invoices. For goodness sake, that is just beyond the pale!