McNichols Company Reviews

1. Been Other Places

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McNichols Company

Pros

The environment is one that is structured but not so much that you aren't encouraged to take what steps you need to help the customer. Always measuring and following up but I think this shows they are engaged and connected to what is important to the customer base. if you aren't wanting to be involved in a results oriented company this may not be your best choice. Management definitely engaged daily.

Cons

So much to learn and the products are used in so many applications is hard to keep up with every possibility. definitely a challenging job and one you need to be engaged in from day one.

Advice to Management

Hard to see promotion avenues for someone new to the company.

2. Hamster on a wheel, claims to be Christian, and drink the kool aid experience. Yes men preferred.

Former Employee - CSS

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits and 401k are great but may be phasing out over the years.

Cons

It is a good job if you can appreciate the same thing every day including claims for damaged material, difficult customers, poor implementation of new processes, and no raises.

Advice to Management

The senior employees state that after things were passed to current CEO/ President things have changed and not for the better. The company is still privately owned so it is a good idea to take care of your employees rather than have them living paycheck to paycheck. It's bad to become another diluted company with little to offer especially when customers say that prices are too high and added profit is only gained by mark up on freight to customers. Some measurements of growth do not accurately represent a company's change within the industry. But don't tell McNichols that. They will fire you.

3. CSR

Former Employee - Collections Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Collections Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefit package from the beginning, was offered a great career however...

Cons

Weird environment, standoffish people, VERY small office. What I was offered was not what I received. Brought issues to Management, instead of rectifying them they let me go! They don't like whistle blowers. Major rodent problem inside office. ALL they care about is safety in their warehouse, period!

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage PROFESSIONAL people better!

"Prospective Employee Beware" or "Enjoy the Metal"

Former Employee - CSS

I worked at McNichols Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll have to sift through the Cons to pick out the Pros.

Cons

At first glance the McNichols sales opportunity (CSS) seems to provide a highly rewarding and ethical teamwork environment, which sounds great. The company is up front in their support of Christianity and emphatically states that their faith formed the basis on which the company was founded. I believed this to be true. Bob McNichols (company founder) seemed indeed, to be a man of faith, honor and trust. He built his business from the ground up on these virtues. My comments are not a religious issue, however, they do go to principal. The Christian ethic espoused by Bob McNichols, has been highly diluted if not completely disregarded by many within the company. The talk of Christian ethics is frequently stated by some in the company; an example being the branch meetings, which are opened in prayer, fostering feelings of trust and confidence. On the flip side, the management team, builds and supports a network of corporate spies, using subordinate brownnoser's to report on their fellow employees (does this demonstrate religious trust?). Taking this unethical behavior one step further; fair and ethical sales behavior should be paramount for any company. Many of McNichols management team have supported, nay encouraged, rip-off pricing practices. When a sales rep gets a "rip" the laughter begins, the sales team is encouraged to listen to the sales reps gloating of the "rip", making it somewhat of a competition to duplicate the "rip" (at the loyal customers expense). This indeed is a dangerous tactic. The metals business is competitive - just how many phone calls don't come in after such a rip has taken place or been attempted on a loyal customer? Now for the Lay of the Land… Great Training: The company goes the extra mile to train employees on product and service. Good Benefits: Medical, Dental, 401K, Vacation… Great co-workers: Lest the spies. Telephone Activity: The automated phone system pushes calls to you within seconds of closing the previous call. Good thing you'll have a headset on, or you would certainly have a cauliflower ear. P.S. - Your phone calls are NOT private *Big Brother/Sister are Listening. Team Play: The company will tell you about the team play, but make no mistake, the team is YOU, and management does NOT have your back. Just think of it, you'll often get to see the view from Under the Bus. Branch Sales Management: Many are fair minded… One east coast manager in particular should be FIRED. Nepotism abounds - get used to it. Favoritism: It's the order of the day… If you're not in - you're out. Commissions: You'll be told that the commissions are generous, when in reality you'll likely see a very small portion of what is inferred you'll get. Note: There is no commission formula. You'll simply have to use the "Y0UR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE" commission plan. You'll notice that this team commission is selective and arbitrary at best. Brownnosers will prevail here - again, get used to it. Salary Increases (annual, bi-annual or decade, you decide): They don't come. Don't think about it, you'll just be depressed. You're over 21: I don't condone drinking during the business day, but don't think about having a glass of wine with your lunch, you'll be gone by dinner. This isn't France it's McNichols Co. This will give you an idea of what to expect or at the very least, question, while you ponder joining this fine establishment.

Advice to Management

Seek out more than just your yes men/women...

Just weird.

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly People, in the beginning. Has the right idea for putting the customer first.

Cons

Strict environment. Lack Diversity, tons of over processing, Pay could of been better. People really have a stand offish vibe. Definitely play favorites. Has a cult vibe and if you give the appearance of not being able to be molded, they off you. Once I started I immediately knew this wasn't the place for me. If you are a liberal person, stand clear.

Advice to Management

Quit making things more difficult then that have to be. Your selling pre cut steel products with holes in them, not fighter jets.

7. Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Garland, TX

I have been working at McNichols Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good team to work with, friendly and helpful. Very good branch managers. Great working hours, no 2nd and 3rd shifts, weekends, etc. Some overtime available. Very clean and organized shop. Very safety focused.

Cons

Average pay, raises haven't been good in a while and progression has been very slow.

Advice to Management

Make sure pay rates keep up with the local economy.

8. I had a wonderful time while working at McNichols. It was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People working together as team. Their health benefits were excellent. Everyone has a chance to advance within their department or others. Everyone was willing to make sure the job got down. For example, they would stay late or come in early to complete the necessary project. Overall, it was a great place to work. I have great memories.

Cons

At the time I was employed with McNichols Company, I did not have an unpleasant experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep in the loop on the base level of the teams

A cross between the military, prison, and a cult

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at McNichols Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work day stops as soon as you walk out the door at the end of each day because it's not the type of job that you can do anything for outside of the company walls.

Cons

Management and their "spys" constantly monitor you on everything from how many times and for how long you go to the bathroom to what your personal conversations are when you are talking on your cell phone on your break/lunch hour even if you step outside. Employees would literally have to go sit in their car in order to get privacy to make a simple phone call during THEIR lunch/break time. Also, constantly having a mantra hammered in about how we should meet ever-increasing goals not with the expectancy of being compensated for our work, but for simply the "satisfaction" of helping the customers (translation: helping the customers to give more money to the company so that the CEO and his kids can fly in occasionally on their private jet to walk around the office and have us hero-worship him and his boys who we were repeatedly reminded will, after all, once day be in charge of the company). Bad enough that in the interviews they blatantly lie about the "bonuses" employees could make and do not pay them based on your actual productivity and the revenue you bring in, but instead base the bonuses on whether or not management likes you, they couldn't even spring on a decent holiday party without turning it into a 90 minute speech by management about next year's goals during which we were not allowed to so much as whisper, let alone socialize, and this was all done on our unpaid lunch hour - happy holidays!

People are great

I have been working at McNichols Company

Pros

Great co-workers and caring senior leadership managers. Excellent work atmosphere. Fast paced!

Cons

Opportunity for advancement and pay.

Advice to Management

Hire intelligent midline managers. The type that will listen to the workers and include their views when making changes.

Unappreciated

I worked at McNichols Company

Pros

Ok benefits, decent healthcare, very generous paid time off, employees care about one another. Warehouse safety is critically emphasized on a daily basis.

Cons

Haven't seen a raise since 2008. The company demanded employees give 5 percent of our salary in 2009 and haven't gotten that back either. The Greed here is evident. Employees quit here often.

Advice to Management

Give back to the employees who keep Your business going. I have a feeling the motive is to get everybody still employed there to quit so new cheaper employees can do the same work. Since there is little room for promotion or even a cost of living pay increase employees get discouraged after a while. The company would probably even do better if employees felt the respect they deserve.

RSS Feed </> Embed