Mckenna Ryan Designs

Updated January 5, 2015
Updated January 5, 2015
2.5

CEO

My dream job, working with extremely talented and dedicated artists doing what I love - quilting!

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs

Pros

Knowing my opinion is valued, being part of a creative team, travel, being challenged to expand my creative instincts, working with a high profile artist and allowed to use my own judgment in making creative decisions. I've worked with McKenna for over 8 years and have never seen her lose her temper and take it out on an employee like the ex-employees claim. They need to take responsibility for their own lack of work ethics.

Cons

The only con I have is I wish I lived closer to the home office in Portland but being able to work remotely has been a key factor in my personal success.

Check resumes and references prior to hiring very carefully. It has been proven that the two previous emplyees that gave negative reviews obviously misrepresented themselves as to what they were capable of doing. We've always had an open door policy and their abuse of being trusted to get the jobs done without being micro managed proved they didn't know what they were doing and didn't ask for help. I personally witnessed these peoples disregard for procedures and the fact that they showed up late for training and hungover should have gotten them fired on the spot!

What a miserable place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like getting free lunches sometimes. That is when the place actually feels normal for a change.

The free scrap material is fun when its up for grabs.

I get to see the creative process from birth to mass production.

Cons

Boss is unprofessional She likes to yell. A lot.

For the amount of work you do, you don't get a lot of pay for it. You are told to do things that are completely above your pay grade and are not properly trained or seasoned in.

Every time you make the smallest mistake, you are chastised in front of everyone.

There are so many people who work remotely and lack proper communication skills. There is a lot of grandiose conversations thrown back and forth, but no productive work gets done on a consistent level. When the deadline gets closer, all of a sudden everyone who works off site is suddenly the star of the show when they have been otherwise silent.

People like to take credit for work that is done by you. Some of the design work was done by me, but I'll never get credit for it.

Did I mention that the boss likes to yell a lot?

Treat us nicely. You will have happy employees if the main focus is concentrated on the art, not people's personal business.

Probably the Worst Employer I've Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The coffee shop downstairs from the office is great.

Cons

-Gross mismanagement of company funds.
    -No work-life balance whatsoever (though you'll often be told about all the great benefits you'll eventually get... but never will).
    -Easily avoidable faults in the company are blamed on "being a small business." No, they're just too cheap to adequately compensate their employees for the hell they're puting them through --- or even give them fair compensation based on the average salary for their position in the job market.
    -It is rare for a decision to actually stand. Instead, you'll go back and forth in group discussions considering every last minute possibility related to the decision until it's not even relevant or timely anymore. This is what they call "teamwork" and "group discussions."
    -Be wary of those champagne toasts. When the boss has too much to drink, she'll say some really inappropriate things. But, as she discusses her sex life with the team when sober anyways, this probably won't phase you after a while.
    -The boss tends to have mental breakdowns or physical tantrums from time to time.

Based on how many employees you drive away from the company, please take a hint. Many of us want to think you're a good person with good intentions at heart, but you do everything in your power to prove us wrong.

Whew. What a rollercoaster. I would have picked a different ride.

Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great view, nice art, and being able to have some friends up on the loft for lunch and occasional help was great. The interview consists of a champagne toast, which was kind of special. I was able to travel a bit, though it was stressful. I loved taking pictures with great views.

Cons

...about that champagne toast...you assume it will all be beautiful like that moment, but then all of a sudden, a simple moment of stress will escalate into WWIII, and you don't know if you should dodge bullets, or put yourself on the front line and fight back. I'm a fighter, and I didn't take that crap. I did see a few office items thrown around by the boss toward another though. And then, as that person runs out of the office in tears, everything turns calm for a moment. But hold on, cause its not over...you are just a misstep away from another roller coaster ride of emotional warfare. Every. Single. Day. After the initial excitement of the "new job" is over, you are taken on a ride 4 of 5 days a week. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out of there and go back to a more healthy environment.

You are going to get into a lot of trouble if you keep throwing things at your employees. Had you thrown something at me, there would have been problems. Enough with the rollercoaster, the yelling, the swearing, and the hiring pretense with the champagne. You create too high of expectations and a false sense of prestige in doing so. Lead your employees instead of terrorize them.

TOOT TOOT HELLO ATTENTION WORLD THIS IS THE BEST JOB IN ALL THE LAND

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time

Pros

Let me list them

-Working side-by-side with an inspiring creative director
    -Working with supportive, motivated and positive colleagues
    -Working in a beautiful, light-filled lofted space in Portland, OR
    -Room for professional growth in the company as it expands
    -"Team" attitude--input on decisions no matter how small or large, is encouraged and valued
    -Weekly lunch meetings to stay connected with what everybody is doing
    -The occasional champagne celebration
    -Seeing Maddie the dog every day

Cons

I mean sometimes I get stuck behind a train on my way to or from work....There aren't really cons to working here.

Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time.

Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some beautiful work comes out of this company. If you are a fan of the fiber arts, then this is a haven for you. The work space is amazing too. The loft setting is in one of the best areas in Portland to work. The people in the building were amazing. I got to know many people from other businesses.

And, as always, it is really nice to talk to fans of the artwork across the globe. You can hear their excitement when a new product comes out.

Random pizza parties were pretty cool on the occasion.

Cons

There is a lot of yelling that goes on in that place. With wall to wall cement surrounding you, the sound carries and echos in your ears until you get home.

In art fields, people get frustrated a lot. Sometimes, people find it necessary to take that frustration and aggression out on those who are the easiest targets who are undeserving, via yelling. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us.

Overtime pay is not actually paid by the company. You will be asked to work "without pay" or volunteer your time when you are over 40 hours per week, which is a lot of the time.

There is a lot of hand holding with operations. With this being a newly relocated company, with little to no resources to learn from, it was a lot of baby steps to get the company back on it's feet in the new home.

Calm down. There is no need to yell. Take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture.