Mead Johnson

Updated January 26, 2015
3.4

Mead Johnson CEO Peter Kasper Jakobsen
Peter Kasper Jakobsen

Pros
  • Good work/life balance and you do not need to hunt doctor's down for signatures (in 6 reviews)

• Great colleagues; satisfaction of knowing we are helping babies get the best start in life (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited career advancement opportunity for people with a vision; department manager does not have vision or will to develop people (in 2 reviews)

• Needed to relocate for sustained career path (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

QA Analytical lab

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Mead Johnson

Pros

Challenging, room to grow, lots of training opportunities.

Cons

Management overkill, segregation a month management and those below

Allow for career growth

MJN Quality Control

Former Employee - Quality Control Associate in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Control Associate in Evansville, IN

I worked at Mead Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in QC for MJN has many benefits of gaining excellent experience in numerous scientific assays and a general understanding of the regulatory aspect of product development and production. You work in a team but still have a lot of independence in your own work so a lot of times they are very flexible with your work hours. The company also provides excellent time off options: floating holidays in addition to the national holidays, vacation, sick time, personal time, and options for paid and unpaid leave. I also thought MJN was also very good developing personal growth according to your career goals. My manager would have a discussion with each employee every year to acknowledge goals and develop a plan to work towards them. Many analysts were able to move up to higher positions so long as they were consistent with meeting these goals.

Cons

Working for Quality Control with any big production company can be very demanding and many times downright stressful. Deadlines take top priority over anything else and so may require you to work extra long hours including weekends to meet demands. This is not always consistent but there will be numerous weeks where you log 60+ hours.

My experience with management was a positive in that she was always concerned with our work load affecting our work-life balance. She was also very good about scheduling learning opportunities for personal growth.

Good company

Former Employee - Senior Territory Business Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Territory Business Manager

I worked at Mead Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance
    Easy job
    Great benefits

Cons

Little opportunity for growth unless you are willing to relocate to Evansville, IN

Be more aggressive

Satisifed and getting better

Former Employee - Territory Business Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Territory Business Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mead Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mead Johnson has a great 401k, and the work is really fun. We benefit from technically being a a food and not a 'drug.' The management out of Chicago has a strong vision and knows where the Infant Formula business is heading. Also, because we keep our patents there have only been cuts once in our company's history.

Cons

Because of the safety in the position, you should expect slightly less pay than other medical sales.
    Infant Formula is often the lowest concern on the medical totem pole
    District Management is hit or miss... this is in regards to hawking managers who ride your work v. managers who understand that everyone has their own style

Continue to develop great plans for the future, but be weary of giving the sales force too many things to focus on.

Overall Satisfied

I have been working at Mead Johnson (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products! Personal growth and internal career opportunities.

Cons

Extra desk and paper work

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Glenview, IL

I worked at Mead Johnson as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Small, but growing company. I had the opportunity to work on projects that were key concerns for business leaders. Internship experience was positive. They really make you feel like an asset to the company.

Cons

Because of the size of the organization, an offer may not be extended. You may incur large expenses if you must relocate during your internship.

You may want to be more open with potential candidates about the likelihood of receiving an offer after completing an internship.

Expected to know how to do things that boss couldn't even do

I worked at Mead Johnson as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Internship program was well organized, including multiple group events. Pay was great for an internship. Company gym is so nice. Casual Fridays.

Cons

My boss expected me to do things that my resume didn't ever say I could do. I was expected to simply "figure it out" and as an intern, you need guidance. Not a good work life balance in my specific department as people stayed till after 6 and arrived at 7 am. Office culture was sterile.

Speak with the interns on how their bosses are performing and if they need help.

Great Place to work! Great training and good people

Current Employee - Senior Territory Business Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Territory Business Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mead Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working with Neo's in the NICU- A lot of fun calling on OB's and Ped's-- Great products to sell and everyone wants them, even your friends that have babies-

Cons

The salary is much lower than Pharma jobs so your are asked to do a lot more-
    A bit behind in the times in the home office-

Up your salaries and more people with that pharma experience will stay longer- The people with no Pharma, do not understand the difference.

Positive, motivating and great people to work with!

Current Employee - Territory Business Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Business Manager

I have been working at Mead Johnson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training, ongoing training and career development. Great leadership and nice work/life balance. Promotions are possible but somewhat slow and limited if you're not flexible on location preference. Job security, reasonable pressure for performance. Wonderful development programs for transitioning to management.

Cons

Pay isn't very competitive with the market. If you're used to high bonus from previous phama/medical sales this isn't anywhere close.

Pretty good company

I worked at Mead Johnson

Pros

flexibility of time managament is very good

Cons

Sadly, I was only a contractor

Hire me permanantly