MeadWestvaco

MeadWestvaco Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

MeadWestvaco Chairman and CEO John A. Luke Jr.

John A. Luke Jr.

Pros:
  • "Stable company with good benefits and opportunities for people who earn them"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Willing to let you try new things; good people; decent work/life balance; good pay and benefits"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very poor senior management, bad decisions based on poor data has left this company very vulnerable"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Indecisive leadership in some senior levels; still very old school in thinking and decision making;"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Long term employee always proud to represent MWV

Senior IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Richmond, CA

ProsMWV understands it's obligation to shareholders. The mix of products and strategies is continually updated to match the global market. A One MWV mindset is part of the culture.

ConsEveryone must take personal responsibility to see a career path for themselves and use mentoring networks to make it happen. Bringing value is the key to longevity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very excited about the future at MWV. Recent additions to senior leadership bring a great combination of proven success to move us forward.

Make sure you fit their "Corporate Mold".

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe people were great. Opportunity to travel, opportunity to learn all aspects of the business.

ConsThe people. Old boys club mentality. Eventually outsourced many operations duties which I suspect was the plan all along.

Good Company but work to many hours

Feeder Operator (Former Employee)
    Mebane, NC

ProsGreat Benefits, nice pay, friendly atmosphere

Conswork 6-7 days a week, 12 hour shifts, hard to get moved to another shift

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a self starter, this is the place for you.

Richmond, VA

ProsGood company to work for if you are a self starter with limited supervision. Diverse business portfolio. Good opportunity to move around the company.

ConsCompany politics. You need to play the games in order to get promoted. No flexible work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do a better job recognizing people's accomplishments.

Many Lost Opportunities for Improvement

Various Positions In the Company (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsGreat benefits in a world of shrinking health care and retirement benefits offered employees.
    Flexible work environment.
    Nice corporate facility with Cafeteria, Starbucks and Fitness Center.
    Free parking for employees in secured parking deck.
    Human resources has invested in a Training/Employee Development department - much needed.
    Experience in a Global Company working with many different business partners world wide.
    Intelligent coworkers who are driven, productive and committed to company goals.

Cons"Good ol' boy" system still exists in certain departments especially when the departments have legacy employees from mill sites.
    Certain groups are not open to process improvements and employee initiatives are not supported especially when it opens the doors to questionable practices by a department.
    Human resources hiring practices tend to be on a "who you know" instead of "what you know" practice. Some people are hired without the right qualifications and ultimately cannot perform to expectations.
    Long hours for lower, exempt workers who are expected to perform more than 40 hours a week and are not fairly compensated as the non-exempt employees who get paid overtime. Many work from home and sacrifice personal time to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees who are not at the management level for insight on best practices, issues, fair solutions and ethical evolution of the work environment. These are the backbone of the corporation and their knowledge is beyond compare when it comes to the details. An inclusive atmosphere is vital to employees knowing their value and contribution to the goals of the company

I expected more

Machine Operator (Former Employee)
    Alexandria, PA

ProsWhen I started there it was "THEE" place to work in our small town, and it was just MEAD. It was hard physical work but it came with good pay and great benefits. There was a great working atmosphere. I liked my job. Then they merged with Westvaco and it became just a job. After 20 years I left, I had become just a number, making about the same money I made 20 yrs before.

ConsThey pay you just enough to keep you, and they do not care about personally it is all about the bottom line. And I am not sure they can find the bottom line. So not only did I feel under appreciated I felt I worked for a company with no heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can't figure it out....

Uncertain future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn the past, high focus on employee development and quality of work was highly regarded.

ConsRecent margin improvement program resulted in the elimination of hundreds of positions across the company with no consideration for level of talent being let go. People that are left are struggling to maintain the same quality of work with no support from management. Company appears to be leaning out the organization in an effort increase margins making it an attractive target for acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do something to motivate the remaining employees or they will all be walking out the door on their own.

Perfect Summer Internship

Environmental Engineering (Former Employee)
    North Charleston, SC

ProsPhenomenal internship program; Developed own project throughout the course of the internship

ConsWork was highly independent and not teamwork based

Ehh

Richmond, VA

ProsPaid decently, free parking. I don't know what else to say here.

ConsCompany culture or lack therof, leadership, buttkissing and politics, overcrowded building and department. I worked with some awesome people who were excellent at what they did, just wish the people in charge did less to make things miserable for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone in power (i.e. yourselves) and bring in some less egotistical visionary young people. Also the HR department has got to go. They serve little practical purpose.

Great company to work for until Mead School Office Products was spun off to ACCO Brands.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, benefits and leadership

ConsDifficult to have work life balance

Worked for MeadWestvaco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MeadWestvaco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MeadWestvaco CEO John A. Luke Jr. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by MeadWestvaco employees.