MeadWestvaco Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

MeadWestvaco Chairman and CEO John A. Luke Jr.
John A. Luke Jr.

Pros
  • Great co-workers, work-life balance, great work culture (in 6 reviews)

• Stable company with good benefits and opportunities for people who earn them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor senior management, bad decisions based on poor data has left this company very vulnerable (in 8 reviews)

• Indecisive leadership in some senior levels; still very old school in thinking and decision making; (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good company to start a career

Former Employee - Intern  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of opportunity for growth. Great people to work with in a wonderful area of the city. Richmond is a great city to live and work in.

Cons

Work-life balance can become a problem. Poor middle management and a decent amount of office politics.

Retain talent

Good Home

Former Employee - Account Administrator  in  Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Account Administrator in Kettering, OH

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Open office culture, expectations clearly set and employees are empowered to act accordingly to help company meet short, mid and long term objectives. Expectations communicated on consistent basis.

Cons

Rare breakdowns in internal communications between departments. Training opportunities on skills set development for upward movement in the company difficult to navigate.

Continue to strengthen internal communication infrastructure, improve transparency around objectives and continue to provide robust external/internal learning/growth opportunities at all levels.

Typical big confused company

Current Employee - Middle Management
    Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people I work along side with are good at what they do.

Cons

Detached from the realities. Can't speak up, or you'll get dismissed and be an outsider quickly.

Get rid of the 'ole boy' mentality. Start w/ the CEO. Too many consultants.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More challenges ahead

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good people are still working there after the 2014 position slashing's

Cons

The company is stripping away the value of good people and innovation to raise the stock price in order to sell it. It is all about appearances and has hired / promoted middle aged sorority girls to hold key positions to lessen it's good ole boys club image.

It is impossible to build a culture of trust when you exercise the right to withhold incentive pay and bonuses, while the top leadership exercises stock options worth multi-millions.

A waste of time

Former Employee - Assembly Specialist  in  Grandview, MO
    Former Employee - Assembly Specialist in Grandview, MO

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Meadwestvascos two times the second time I was to replace an employee off on medical leave I heard a lead lady say her daughter was coming in too work for this company and I was let go to make room for her daughter I turned down several job offers to stay at this job based on how well they treated me the first time and man have they changed

Cons

work,life balance and hours worked are good its a cut throat environment in some parts of this job and they cant be trusted!

For the most part company is a good place to work I did not get much training and I felt used and then thrown away like trash!

Great pay to entice living in the area

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time

Pros

Get to be very self-directed, there are many opportunities for improvement, it is easy to move up, and relative to the industry there is still a lot of investment in this facility.

Cons

Little to no formal training, if in production there is no work/life balance, it is almost impossible to get anything to change (culture,) there are a lot of responsibilities that are out of your control, would not assume getting a bonus (has trouble meeting goals,) Union can be difficult to work with and the supervisors came up through the union making it more difficult.

Get supervisors that can actually get work done, prioritize tasks, and hold people accountable. The manager promotions through union workers leaves a lot to be desired and a large gap compared to competitors. Managers that come up through the union jobs have a large difficulty planning and stepping aside from the operator/maintenance work, essentially leaving the managerial position unattended.

Good Pay, Slow Advancement, Hours Can Vary Greatly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mebane, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mebane, NC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good, people are nice, current Management seems to listen to employee feedback and works towards solving any issues that need addressed. In the past, if you didn't like something they just showed you the door out.

Cons

Advancement does not come quickly. The Folding Carton business is made up of many skilled trade jobs, and it takes time to acquire these skills. Many positions are therefore filled from outside instead of within the company, leaving you at the bottom of the seniority ladder. No training processes for internal advancement.
    Hours can be very long at times, 12 and 8 hr. shifts 6-7 days a week at times for months, you just never really know.

Decent pay, but limited opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at MeadWestvaco

Pros

For the first couple years my department was made up of a really good group of people to work with. The local level VP is very open to new ideas & willing to listen to your concerns.

Cons

Recent job cuts at a corporate & changes in local leadership have not been positive. Removing experienced employees from key support positions makes it challenging to resolve new issues at the local level.

Review of MeadWestVaco

Former Employee - IT Project Specialist  in  Evadale, TX
    Former Employee - IT Project Specialist in Evadale, TX

I worked at MeadWestvaco as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with. No Pressure working environment.

Cons

I did not get to work there very long.

When issues arise talk with all parties at the same time to evaluate and determine how to proceed so that you will get the full picture and not just one side.

Internship Experience

I worked at MeadWestvaco as an intern

Pros

Beautiful building with great amenities (gym, cafeteria, coffee and fridge on every floor), work/life balance encouraged with reasonable hours (nine to five), very friendly people who encourage you to dig deeper, opportunity to find a great mentor

Cons

Office culture is not as collaborative and creative as I would have liked it to be; however, I believe the company is making strides towards a more collaborative work environment. The corporate culture makes it difficult to get new ideas through the pipeline and the departments feel siloed leading to redundancy.

Worked for MeadWestvaco? Contribute to the Community!