MeadWestvaco Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
160 reviews filtered by

1. Great and friendly workplace, corporate out of touch.

Former Intern - Process Engineer Co-Op in Cottonton, AL
    Former Intern - Process Engineer Co-Op in Cottonton, AL

I worked at MeadWestvaco as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing at Mead especially at the plant
    Relaxed work environment with good benefits

Cons

Corporate was out of touch with what decisions are necessary and may suffer financial losses
    Funding for projects was misallocated

Advice to Management

Send someone from corporate down to the plant for a week and truly understand what needs to be done.

2. A good, upper mid level corporation for those starting work or those wanting to practice skills in corporate politics. o

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of very talented employees. Generally good work/life balance. Stable stock exchange history.

Cons

Seems to be a bit of confusion about what they want to be when they grow up. And the mergers and acquisitions led to more corporate politics than I'd seen elsewhere.

3. Leader in the paper industry

I worked at MeadWestvaco

Pros

Market leadership position
    Right investment in innovation via patents

Cons

Low growth in the industry overall

Advice to Management

Diversify if possible

Autocratic

Former Employee - Upper Management in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Upper Management in Stamford, CT

I worked at MeadWestvaco (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has your typical good benefit package for a large S&P 500 company

Cons

Autocratic management culture. If you were not original Westvaco you were going to have a hard time advancing

Advice to Management

Intergrate managment more

6. It was great, i learned invaluable lessons on this job and I cherish my time there.

I worked at MeadWestvaco

Pros

I enjoyed the shifts, 12 hours a day 3 days on, 2 days off, 2days on, 3 days off

Cons

There weren't many cons besides the fact they layed off employees

Advice to Management

The company valued the opinions of the employees and that meant a lot.

7. Great First Company

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time

Pros

I could not have asked for a better experience with my first job out of college. I am a female engineer working at one of MWV's chemical plants. From day one, I was given a large (but reasonable) amount of responsibility. My managers have been great at assigning me to projects that will help me develop as an engineer and figure out what direction I want my career to take. All of my experiences with upper management have been nothing but positive and I truly feel that the company is well prepared for the future in terms of vision and resources. I have held two different positions since starting and have had 2 different managers and teams. The strongest part of MWV, in my opinion, is the people that I work with. This company has so many brilliant and diverse minds in a family environment. My coworkers are supportive and collaborative, not competitive. I am not treated any differently because I am a female, which was one of my main concerns coming out of college. There are many fresh, young faces at MWV, but there are also numerous people who have spent their entire careers with the company. It spoke volumes to me when looking for jobs that this is a company that retains their employees because they truly love what they do and value the culture of MWV.

Cons

The biggest problem we have is that there are so many ideas for new products and improvements, but not enough capital funding for major projects. However, there are always a few big projects going on and the company is investing as much as possible to grow our business. The fact that we have so many ideas for growing the company is exciting.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire strong employees.

Co-op

Former Intern - Process Engineer in Covington, VA
    Former Intern - Process Engineer in Covington, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco as an intern

Pros

Free Housing, great pay, love the feeling of not having to go to school, go to work and when the clock strikes 4 you can forget about everything. You get as much out of it as you put in. Can gain some really note worthy experience. Get your own work office. Really great upper management and head engineers - very knowledgeable and will help you out with an project work. Company really strives for quality over quantity.

Cons

Awful area. Working anywhere near a paper mill gives off a putrid odor. You won't notice it at times, then some windy days are worse than the others. While some people can be friendly, others can be nasty and very "old school". The company is driven by very old union workers and way of talking can be very offensive. Women beware. You're working in a paper company...

Advice to Management

Make the operators do the operating job, and let the engineers do the engineering work. Have less meetings.

Run, don't walk. Bad management from top to bottom. This ship is sinking and sinking fast.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in DeRidder, LA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in DeRidder, LA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rank and file employees are good at what they do and have somehow managed to build a team driven environment on their own. If you are interested in management roles, this would be a great place to learn how not to manage a company.

Cons

I just read an article listing seven signs of a toxic work place. Sadly, this company exhibits them all. I have on more than one occasion personally witnessed racism, sexism and ageism. Favoritism and preferential treatment are standard operating procedures. Working conditions are poor, bordering on unsafe.

Bad management rules throughout the company, from the top down. As a result, the bottom line is threatened and the company is failing. I am getting out before things worsen. I don’t want to go down with the ship.

Advice to Management

Clean house from top to bottom. Rebuild with new management team who understands it isn't' 1950 anymore. Employees are your best asset, not your worst enemy. Treat them as such.

Good starting job, but...

Former Employee - R&D Researcher in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - R&D Researcher in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, good salary, beautiful labs for R&D
    This was a starting job for me, so at the time I had nothing to compare it to. What was good about it was the compensation (good, not great), the experience, and the people I worked with. Is paperboard sexy and fun? No, but it provides jobs. If you work in Richmond the facilities are awesome; gym, cafeteria, and state of the art labs for R&D.

Cons

Office culture, time-off policies
    What was not so great was the glaring fact that this is a public company; the perception of upper management is that they value stock price far greater than employees. The culture survey really illuminated that (it wasn't good). It's an old, conservative company run by old men (don't be surprised around November when they ask everyone to vote "with the company's interests in mind"). The culture is really the worst thing; talk to the employees who have been there 20+ years and you'll understand.
    The vacation policy is lousy; 2 weeks until you're there 5 years. Then oh boy an extra 5 days!
    What really irritated me though was getting laid off after years of stellar performance. And even worse were friends getting laid off that had put in over 10 years with the company! Cool, get rid of the guy who has had solid performance and is 60 years old. What was the need for layoffs after hiring on a large amount of people? Stock price. The most important thing for the leaders of the company. Don't EVER think they will value their employees more than that.

Advice to Management

Pick a path and stop doing the big hirings followed by big layoffs. Try to value employees and not just shareholders. And stop being so short-sighted with R&D; it's not an instant pay-off investment.

A vision for the future

Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Executive leadership wants to push the company past commodity paperboard sales, willing to take calculated risks in key sectors and see a vision of what the company could become

Cons

All roads lead back to converting operations and paperboard sales. Aspirational innovation projects get stuck in stage-gate.

Advice to Management

Take more calculated risk on long-term innovation projects