MeadWestvaco

www.mwv.com

MeadWestvaco Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014

MeadWestvaco Chairman and CEO John A. Luke Jr.
John A. Luke Jr.

Pros
  • Stable company with good benefits and opportunities for people who earn them (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance good for some employees, but bad for others (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a problem (in 6 reviews)

• Very poor senior management, bad decisions based on poor data has left this company very vulnerable (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Compassionate, ethical but not performance driven

Current Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nice people, lots of travel. Strong operations.

Cons

Lack of vision in so many areas... Business units, M&A activity, Innovation/R&D. Finance. IT. Comm/Marketing/Branding. Strategy based on consultants' advice and no real inward view of building a future company.

Stop a lot of the fluff, ie. competency - based reviews, etc. Become a pay for perfromance company and you will see results.

Decent pay, but limited opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at MeadWestvaco

Pros

For the first couple years my department was made up of a really good group of people to work with. The local level VP is very open to new ideas & willing to listen to your concerns.

Cons

Recent job cuts at a corporate & changes in local leadership have not been positive. Removing experienced employees from key support positions makes it challenging to resolve new issues at the local level.

A waste of time

Former Employee - Assembly Specialist in Grandview, MO
    Former Employee - Assembly Specialist in Grandview, MO

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Meadwestvascos two times the second time I was to replace an employee off on medical leave I heard a lead lady say her daughter was coming in too work for this company and I was let go to make room for her daughter I turned down several job offers to stay at this job based on how well they treated me the first time and man have they changed

Cons

work,life balance and hours worked are good its a cut throat environment in some parts of this job and they cant be trusted!

For the most part company is a good place to work I did not get much training and I felt used and then thrown away like trash!

Good Pay, Slow Advancement, Hours Can Vary Greatly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mebane, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mebane, NC

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, people are nice, current Management seems to listen to employee feedback and works towards solving any issues that need addressed. In the past, if you didn't like something they just showed you the door out.

Cons

Advancement does not come quickly. The Folding Carton business is made up of many skilled trade jobs, and it takes time to acquire these skills. Many positions are therefore filled from outside instead of within the company, leaving you at the bottom of the seniority ladder. No training processes for internal advancement.
    Hours can be very long at times, 12 and 8 hr. shifts 6-7 days a week at times for months, you just never really know.

If trained properly it can be an excellent job...

Current Employee - Do Not Want to Say in Cottonton, AL
    Current Employee - Do Not Want to Say in Cottonton, AL

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

salary, alot of overtime pretty good benefits and retirement

Cons

orientation, the way you are trained for my particular department needs to be revamped. I was tolded you mostly learn as you go. Well that leaves alot of room for mistakes which are not tolerated at all.

Not all people learn at the same time and orientation needs to be adjusted for the individual and according to his or her industrial experience.

Review of MeadWestVaco

Former Employee - IT Project Specialist in Evadale, TX
    Former Employee - IT Project Specialist in Evadale, TX

I worked at MeadWestvaco as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. No Pressure working environment.

Cons

I did not get to work there very long.

When issues arise talk with all parties at the same time to evaluate and determine how to proceed so that you will get the full picture and not just one side.

Good company

I have been working at MeadWestvaco

Pros

Great opportunities. if you do well, they will take care of you, great people

Cons

old thinking, sometimes difficult to get things done on time

Internship Experience

I worked at MeadWestvaco as an intern

Pros

Beautiful building with great amenities (gym, cafeteria, coffee and fridge on every floor), work/life balance encouraged with reasonable hours (nine to five), very friendly people who encourage you to dig deeper, opportunity to find a great mentor

Cons

Office culture is not as collaborative and creative as I would have liked it to be; however, I believe the company is making strides towards a more collaborative work environment. The corporate culture makes it difficult to get new ideas through the pipeline and the departments feel siloed leading to redundancy.

Mickey Mouse Paper Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time

Pros

1. Nobody does any real work so it is an easy pay check.
    2. You can be late and leave early and work from home.
    3. Promotions are easy because everyone is abandoning ship.

Cons

1. Meeting driven without any action.
    2. Job titles mean more than work and results.
    3. Benefits and support are bottom of the barrel.
    4. You will be cut jobs if you're old or overpaid.
    5. Everything is outsourced, so nothing gets done.

Selling to RockTenn would be the best thing for employees and stock holders alike. Management is incompetent and cannot support the business.

Meh.

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Building and cafeteria were great. Good corporate citizen. Good pay. Very intelligent and creative people in marketing and the production facilities. Has the potential to do great things.

Cons

It's hampered by a "mom & pop" store type mentality. Culturally, it is about 30 years behind. You can't make up for good practices by developing a state of the art headquarters only - you need to invest in better people in managerial positions.

While there are some parts of the company that are managed extremely well and are excellent in their execution of people, ideas and product, there is a lot of work to be done. The "good ol'boy network" is alive and well.