MeadWestvaco Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.1

MeadWestvaco Chairman and CEO John A. Luke Jr.
John A. Luke Jr.

Pros
  • Stable company with good benefits and opportunities for people who earn them (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance good for some employees, but bad for others (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a problem (in 6 reviews)

• Very poor senior management, bad decisions based on poor data has left this company very vulnerable (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It's what you make of it

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great opportunities if you know how to promote and speak up for yourself. They make a lot of great, interesting products and are quite driven to be the best. Beautiful work environment with a great culture. Cafeteria, gym, coffee shop, free parking. The people are really wonderful. If you put a lot of effort into working here and you get involved (i.e., networking), you'll probably enjoy it. There are a lot of opportunities for personal career development.

Cons

You must know how to play the "corporate game" to get ahead and have to know people, instead of just work very hard. HR is absolutely useless, with the exception of probably two people. Pay is only middle-of-the-road, among similarly sized companies. Recent layoffs were devastating to several departments and there are a lot of rumors about the future of the company.

Listen to the "little" people. Go below the heads of businesses and even their direct reports. You're losing a lot of great people.

Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in Kettering, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kettering, OH

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee friendly with nice benefits

Cons

Upper management is removed from lower folks

be more approachable

Decent company

Former Employee - Senior Researcher in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Researcher in Charleston, SC

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits relative to other manufacturing industries

Cons

Stock seems to go nowhere

Too much bureaucracy

Long term employee always proud to represent MWV

Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Richmond, CA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MWV understands it's obligation to shareholders. The mix of products and strategies is continually updated to match the global market. A One MWV mindset is part of the culture.

Cons

Everyone must take personal responsibility to see a career path for themselves and use mentoring networks to make it happen. Bringing value is the key to longevity.

I am very excited about the future at MWV. Recent additions to senior leadership bring a great combination of proven success to move us forward.

Make sure you fit their "Corporate Mold".

Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were great. Opportunity to travel, opportunity to learn all aspects of the business.

Cons

The people. Old boys club mentality. Eventually outsourced many operations duties which I suspect was the plan all along.

Good Company but work to many hours

Former Employee - Feeder Operator in Mebane, NC
    Former Employee - Feeder Operator in Mebane, NC

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, nice pay, friendly atmosphere

Cons

work 6-7 days a week, 12 hour shifts, hard to get moved to another shift

If you are a self starter, this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for if you are a self starter with limited supervision. Diverse business portfolio. Good opportunity to move around the company.

Cons

Company politics. You need to play the games in order to get promoted. No flexible work hours.

Need to do a better job recognizing people's accomplishments.

Many Lost Opportunities for Improvement

Current Employee - Various Positions In the Company in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Various Positions In the Company in Richmond, VA

I have been working at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits in a world of shrinking health care and retirement benefits offered employees.
    Flexible work environment.
    Nice corporate facility with Cafeteria, Starbucks and Fitness Center.
    Free parking for employees in secured parking deck.
    Human resources has invested in a Training/Employee Development department - much needed.
    Experience in a Global Company working with many different business partners world wide.
    Intelligent coworkers who are driven, productive and committed to company goals.

Cons

"Good ol' boy" system still exists in certain departments especially when the departments have legacy employees from mill sites.
    Certain groups are not open to process improvements and employee initiatives are not supported especially when it opens the doors to questionable practices by a department.
    Human resources hiring practices tend to be on a "who you know" instead of "what you know" practice. Some people are hired without the right qualifications and ultimately cannot perform to expectations.
    Long hours for lower, exempt workers who are expected to perform more than 40 hours a week and are not fairly compensated as the non-exempt employees who get paid overtime. Many work from home and sacrifice personal time to get the job done.

Listen to the employees who are not at the management level for insight on best practices, issues, fair solutions and ethical evolution of the work environment. These are the backbone of the corporation and their knowledge is beyond compare when it comes to the details. An inclusive atmosphere is vital to employees knowing their value and contribution to the goals of the company

I expected more

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Alexandria, PA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Alexandria, PA

I worked at MeadWestvaco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started there it was "THEE" place to work in our small town, and it was just MEAD. It was hard physical work but it came with good pay and great benefits. There was a great working atmosphere. I liked my job. Then they merged with Westvaco and it became just a job. After 20 years I left, I had become just a number, making about the same money I made 20 yrs before.

Cons

They pay you just enough to keep you, and they do not care about personally it is all about the bottom line. And I am not sure they can find the bottom line. So not only did I feel under appreciated I felt I worked for a company with no heart.

If you can't figure it out....

Uncertain future

I worked at MeadWestvaco

Pros

In the past, high focus on employee development and quality of work was highly regarded.

Cons

Recent margin improvement program resulted in the elimination of hundreds of positions across the company with no consideration for level of talent being let go. People that are left are struggling to maintain the same quality of work with no support from management. Company appears to be leaning out the organization in an effort increase margins making it an attractive target for acquisition.

You need to do something to motivate the remaining employees or they will all be walking out the door on their own.