Measured Progress

www.measuredprogress.org

Measured Progress Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Measured Progress – Dover – “High View of Campus”

Martin Borg

Great Job Everyone

IT Support (Current Employee) Dover, NH

ProsKeepin the ball rollin'. Great Job everyone.

ConsGreat employees; if you can handle very strong minded, opinionated individuals. Leaders in my book, but annying to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job Everyone.

Great experience here.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Dover, NH

ProsEmphasis on educatiuonal growth and PMI certification. Great time-off policies and wonderful benefits.

ConsWas very community based and family orientated. It has started becoming more rigid and corporate with growth. As we try to grow, there are some existing employees who are struggling with coming to terms with a need to advance technologically.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop better strategies for improvements and roll them out clearly with training rather than setting up the new system and hoping people grasp it. training after its been initiated is frustrating for a lot of existing employees who have been here for a long time.

Technology

Software Engineer III (Former Employee)

ProsGood company, lots of flexibility. Not a bad way to spend a few years if you are going to be starting a family. Nobody tries to kill themselves getting something out. You aren't very stressed.

ConsPolitics - but I guess it is a mostly govt contract not for profit. Seems like there is a lot of room for personal growth but not a lot of promotions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Revolving door for temps

Desktop Publisher (Former Employee) Dover, NH

ProsThe work environment at Measured Progress is very pleasant, and a lot of good people work there. I enjoyed my brief stint as a temporary employee.

ConsMany of the positions, such as mine was, are temporary because of the cyclic nature of the business. That means repeated layoffs, making it hard to land a permanent job.

Friendly, family oriented business

Manager (Current Employee) Dover, NH

ProsStrong work/life balance, onsite daycare, easy going place in a quiet part of the country.

ConsTechnology isn't cutting edge, Watson Rd office is a dumpy converted farm house with poor heating and a/c. Main office is new and modern. Many workers have been with the company a looong time - no broad exposure to other practices - lots of "not invented here" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementScoring and operations has too much focus, need to invest in technology to remain competitive with the big players.

Great people, not so great company

Technical Communications Specialist (Former Employee) Dover, NH

ProsIndividually, the people here are wonderful – fun, hardworking, happy to help each other, and they will go out of their way to please clients. There isn’t much dead weight here since there are frequent layoffs. The benefits are great – if you can get them.

ConsBiggest con: It is extremely difficult and rare for contractors to be converted to a full-time employee with benefits. Do not take a contract position to get your foot in the door and expect to get hired. Good people have waited 2, 3, 8, 14 years. Many contractors feel resentful being expected to work overtime, be on-call, and directly report to managers while not receiving benefits and being treated differently from full-time employees (not invited to all corporate events, can’t use the gym, etc.). They might actually be breaking the Common Law Employee rule (circa 1992 Microsoft permatemp lawsuit) but it’s easier to find a new job than fight that battle. This type of environment creates a low morale and frequent turnovers, at least in IT.

Other typical cons: MP uses their Not for Profit status as an excuse to severely underpay staff while the higher executives still make their industry standard salaries ($300k+). Persistent communication issues despite management spending the majority of their time in meetings. There are often too many "cooks in the kitchen" resulting in a lack of decision making and accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retaining the great staff you still have left - contractors and full-timers. Try to delegate and not micromanage. Find the balance between implementing process and applying common sense.

Great Company, Challenging Times

Project Manager (Current Employee) Dover, NH

ProsVery supportive environment with many high highly dedicated staff. The founder, Stuart Kahl, is an amazing person with a great vision.

ConsThe assessment world is a little turned on it's head right now. It is hard to keep up with what is really going to be needed with the CCSS.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for leadership to develop, and think outside the box.

Nice people, professional environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- People are very friendly and professional
    - Salary is competitive
    - Benefits are good

Cons- Although in word the company vision and direction seems clear, it is often foggy and ambiguous in practice
    - Depending upon which location or department you work in, you might be hopelessly overworked or not have much to do. Salary based positions usually fall into the former, without any pay for overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough the field MP resides in (Education and Common Core) is very uncertain, they need to do a little better with making their staff feel like they are part of a long term direction. At the time I was suddenly let go I didn't know anyone who felt any security about their job beyond a year, most were keeping their eyes on the job market in case they were next.

a sincearer co

Shipping Manager (Former Employee) Dover, NH

Prosthe benefits are amazing. However the pay is average

Consin the distrabution dept. they do not adhere to the companies
     phylosafy of inclusion management

Advice to Senior ManagementMP needs to get Distibutions practicing the phylosafy that the company in braces
     and invest a great deal of money into

A very positive and personally rewarding experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe ability to contribute in a significant manner to the education of the coming generations in America.

ConsPersonalities can sometimes overshadow the work that needs to be done - but even then, management seems to help resolve differences.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgile software development is just another "snake oil" approach. It is good for some limited applications but it really is not for your company. You would do so much better if you stuck with standard and accepted engineering practices and would achieve so much more.

Worked for Measured Progress? Contribute to the Community!