Measured Progress Reviews

Great experience here.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Emphasis on educatiuonal growth and PMI certification. Great time-off policies and wonderful benefits.

Cons

Was very community based and family orientated. It has started becoming more rigid and corporate with growth. As we try to grow, there are some existing employees who are struggling with coming to terms with a need to advance technologically.

Develop better strategies for improvements and roll them out clearly with training rather than setting up the new system and hoping people grasp it. training after its been initiated is frustrating for a lot of existing employees who have been here for a long time.

Too Many Trying to Drive the Sinking Ship / Not Enough Paddling

Former Employee - Database and Measurement Services Specialist  in  Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Database and Measurement Services Specialist in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was a temporary staff member for 2 years in 3 different departments, and then I became full-time in one department for 3 years-- A total of 5 years within the corporate office building.

PROS: Fairly upbeat office environment (although has been changing as of recently), company events and activities are nice, and bonuses were a plus when/if the company did well that year. Facility is helpful, and overall there are many bright, wonderful people working at this company.

Cons

Unfortunately, the CONS outweigh the PROS with this place. As of the last couple of years, it has been seemingly apparent that the higher ups are taking on more than they can handle with the same amount of staff members. I know, in our department, we were stretched extremely thin, while having more and more work piling in. It's one thing to have a lot of work and be under pressure, but it's another thing to have an impractical workload and expect everything to come out on time and squeaky clean.

Currently, the implementation of a new test item database is surely going to be the absolute demise of this company. The database was created without any regard to how the databases were functioning before this new one, and they never listened to any of the suggestions made by the employees who worked with these previous databases, which basically were warnings of the kind of mess that would ensue if the new database did not have the functionality that is necessary for the test items to have accurate statistics! So, unfortunately, all of the test questions that will be used out of this new database will not have any valid or accurate stats (which is the whole point of standardized tests-- the RESULTS!).

Another Con? They treat their temp. staff like crap. They're totally expendable, but yet not expendable. I know some "temps" who have been there almost 9 years!!! No benefits, no perks, not even invited to picnics or small company events!! It's disgusting, disrespectful, and they're obviously trying to save a buck by using people that truly should be hired for keeping the company afloat for so many years. They have no incentive to work hard, yet they do because they hope to be hired one day. I was a lucky temp., but some of the people I've worked with absolutely should have been permanent hires a long time ago. The company is just saving a dime, but in the cheapest of ways (Screw picnics and ice cream parties if you're going to make temp. staff members get the shaft!!).

Measured Progress is a sinking ship, and I'm glad I'm not on it anymore! Once upon a time, they were thriving and going somewhere, but their arrogance and ignorance is now going to mean their utter demise. Not only is their new database completely flawed and dysfunctional, but there are a bunch of managers and supervisors and higher ups all trying to drive this inevitably (slowly) sinking ship, and the few of us that were trying to save it are too tired from paddling nowhere!! Half of the managers screw around anyway. They take time off and "work from home" and have practically zero visibility over the ones they are supposed to be managing. The hypocrisy is blatant within the company, but maybe it's just the 4th floor (CDD, PUBS, and R&A) is where I saw the worst of it.

Too many cons to list. TOO MANY!!!

Cut the number of managers and supervisors-- There are far too many, and most of them don't keep any visibility on their groups anyway!
    LISTEN TO THE MEASUREMENT SERVICES OPERATIONS GROUP WHEN THEY HAVE ADVICE ABOUT THE NEW DATABASE. THEY KNOW!! They're all looking for new jobs too!

Reevaluate job positions and INCREASE PAY based on their responsibilities! If one were to ask anyone and everyone within the company if they felt they were being paid fairly based on what they were doing, I know most people would feel they are paid quite unfairly. I know I was.

Will not convert contractors to full time

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, laid back culture, pleasant office environment, convenient location, fun activities for employees, good benefits for full timers

Cons

The two sides of the company - the business side and the technology (IT) side - have an adversarial relationship. They operate like separate companies, as if they don't realize they're on the same team. Upper management takes sides. A lot of turnover and low morale. IT must meet unrealistic deliverables without adequate resources. Way below market value salaries. If you are hired as a contractor, YOU WILL NOT BE HIRED FULL TIME, despite what you may be told when you are hired. If you are a contractor seeking a full time job here, buyer beware.

Update your salary information to the current decade, ("not for profit" status aside). You can do much better and you know it. You are only an hour from the Boston job market. Convert long term contractors to full time. If you need a contractor to do a job on a full time basis, they should be a full time employee, with access to the same benefits. Morale also affects contractors. Upper management/ executives must focus on unifying the two sides of the company, or morale will continue to deteriorate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job Everyone

Current Employee - IT Support  in  Dover, NH
    Current Employee - IT Support in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time for less than a year

Pros

Keepin the ball rollin'. Great Job everyone.

Cons

Great employees; if you can handle very strong minded, opinionated individuals. Leaders in my book, but annying to others.

Great Job Everyone.

Technology

Former Employee - Software Engineer III
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III

I worked at Measured Progress full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company, lots of flexibility. Not a bad way to spend a few years if you are going to be starting a family. Nobody tries to kill themselves getting something out. You aren't very stressed.

Cons

Politics - but I guess it is a mostly govt contract not for profit. Seems like there is a lot of room for personal growth but not a lot of promotions.

Not looking out for employees and their futures

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good technology investments. Rather short-sighted in planning.

Cons

Measured Progress is a company that doesn't really want to invest in their employees unless they can directly relate it to their current needs. They don't really hire people any more, they just do contractors that they can provide unpaid hiatus to at holiday time (when people need money the most).

If you want folks to invest themselves in your company, you should invest in bringing on those who work for you.
    Minimize the political fighting between different groups - it is no secret to those below, and is a deterrent on morale.

Revolving door for temps

Former Employee - Desktop Publisher  in  Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Desktop Publisher in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment at Measured Progress is very pleasant, and a lot of good people work there. I enjoyed my brief stint as a temporary employee.

Cons

Many of the positions, such as mine was, are temporary because of the cyclic nature of the business. That means repeated layoffs, making it hard to land a permanent job.

Friendly, family oriented business

Current Employee - Manager  in  Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong work/life balance, onsite daycare, easy going place in a quiet part of the country.

Cons

Technology isn't cutting edge, Watson Rd office is a dumpy converted farm house with poor heating and a/c. Main office is new and modern. Many workers have been with the company a looong time - no broad exposure to other practices - lots of "not invented here" mentality.

Scoring and operations has too much focus, need to invest in technology to remain competitive with the big players.

Great people, not so great company

Former Employee - Technical Communications Specialist  in  Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Technical Communications Specialist in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Individually, the people here are wonderful – fun, hardworking, happy to help each other, and they will go out of their way to please clients. There isn’t much dead weight here since there are frequent layoffs. The benefits are great – if you can get them.

Cons

Biggest con: It is extremely difficult and rare for contractors to be converted to a full-time employee with benefits. Do not take a contract position to get your foot in the door and expect to get hired. Good people have waited 2, 3, 8, 14 years. Many contractors feel resentful being expected to work overtime, be on-call, and directly report to managers while not receiving benefits and being treated differently from full-time employees (not invited to all corporate events, can’t use the gym, etc.). They might actually be breaking the Common Law Employee rule (circa 1992 Microsoft permatemp lawsuit) but it’s easier to find a new job than fight that battle. This type of environment creates a low morale and frequent turnovers, at least in IT.

Other typical cons: MP uses their Not for Profit status as an excuse to severely underpay staff while the higher executives still make their industry standard salaries ($300k+). Persistent communication issues despite management spending the majority of their time in meetings. There are often too many "cooks in the kitchen" resulting in a lack of decision making and accountability.

Focus on retaining the great staff you still have left - contractors and full-timers. Try to delegate and not micromanage. Find the balance between implementing process and applying common sense.

Great Company, Challenging Times

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

Very supportive environment with many high highly dedicated staff. The founder, Stuart Kahl, is an amazing person with a great vision.

Cons

The assessment world is a little turned on it's head right now. It is hard to keep up with what is really going to be needed with the CCSS.

Allow for leadership to develop, and think outside the box.

Worked for Measured Progress? Contribute to the Community!