Measured Progress Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Martin Borg

Pros
  • The Company provides good benefits, sponsors community events and special events for the employees (in 3 reviews)

• Nice campus and office environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are hired as a contractor, YOU WILL NOT BE HIRED FULL TIME, despite what you may be told when you are hired (in 4 reviews)

• They instead function as traditional technical managers and conduits to upper management (in 4 reviews)

Sinking

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Measured Progress has a lot of very good people to work with, along with a nice benefits package.

Cons

The company has taken a huge downward spiral since a leadership change about seven years ago. The leadership seems out of touch with what's really going on inside the company.

2. Actively Adapting to Change

I worked at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

A company full of caring people and run by caring people who believe in the goals of the company. You will not find a more genial place to work. The educational testing marketplace is in turmoil and, as Lao Tzu famously said, "in the midst of chaos there is also opportunity."

Cons

The educational testing marketplace is in turmoil and Measured Progress may have to undergo significant changes to adapt.

3. Assistant Vice President, Scoring Services

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Scoring Services in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Scoring Services in Dover, NH

I worked at Measured Progress (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture of respect and professionalism

Cons

Consistently long extended work days with compressed timelines for deliverables.

Advice to Management

Improve the RFP process to accommodate time required to produce deliverables.

Data Systems Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very knowledgeable staff and culture

Cons

leadership is lacking in vision and direction

Use to be a great place to work

I have been working at Measured Progress

Pros

Very pleasant people to work with; great benefits and time off.

Cons

Has become very stressful lately as our future is uncertain. Too many layoffs happening and not knowing if you are next is torture. Many are starting to jump ship and can't blame them. Have to start looking out for yourself

Advice to Management

Figure it out fast or there will be nobody left. Love the company but don't know how much more of this I, and others, can take.

Down the Rabbit Hole

Current Employee - Program Manager in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As almost all reviews have mentioned, you get to work with some outstanding and extremely talented individuals, who are entirely committed to the organization's missions of improving student learning. Paid time off, as well as flexible working arrangements, are also strong pros.

Cons

Over the last several years, leadership has adopted an entirely reactive management strategy, and seems surprised and overwhelmed by every development and industry shift. Layoffs have become the norm, whether it is a handful of people or a significant portion (10% - 20%) of the organization's workforce. It's the end of May now and additional layoffs are scheduled to occur in June.

Leadership has previously insisted on across-the-board cuts instead of targeted cuts that focus on areas where business is lacking. There seems to be some improvement in this philosophy on the horizon but only time will tell.

Leadership constantly shifts focus. One day it's testing, the next it's reporting, and another it's customer service. This is the real issue. The organization can never adopt and follow a specific path. There is no consistency or staying the course. The CEO rules with a big stick. He cannot motivate or lead. He cannot build up people or teams. He blames everyone but himself. I have not seen one review that attributes blame for the organization's failure where it actually belongs--Mr. Martin Borg.

We now have a leadership group who does not look to the future beyond how it affects their own paychecks and futures. There is zero interest in developing employees. There is zero interest in "it's all about student learning--period." Right now, it's about chasing the latest trend, from one day to the next, without regard to the wreckage left in the wake, in the hopes of garnering some small scrap of new business. It's sad, really. This place used to be wonderful.

Advice to Management

It's time for the CEO to move on. He's had his chance. He's had his time in the spotlight. He's bet on the wrong horse over and over again. And he should take a handful of the other executives with him on his way out... they have had just as much a hand in this organization's decline.

8. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Measured Progress (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some departments value their experienced employees, but not all.

Cons

Company culture is adjusting to be oriented toward financial goals.

9. Lack of Management Skills

I have been working at Measured Progress

Pros

Good work environment, helpful and knowledgeable

Cons

over promises, no true future plans,lack of communication skills

Education assessment leader with need to educate self

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of talented people who are passionate about education and work hard for their client to have successful, meaningful, and stress-free assessment and reporting for the students. Good benefits, generous leave, great work space. Flexible work schedule as long as you get your work completed, you can take care of your family obligations.

Cons

Management is not letting talented people do their work and interferes in daily tasks. As is often the case, it should let the ones who know what they are doing get it done. Those on the ground know what they are doing and need only to be supported to be successful. Business practices and technology stuck in the 80s and needs to advance, but management is not comfortable with it so it lingers in the middle ages. The same for business practices - as educators, it is imperative that we should be on the cutting edge and lead the charge for improvements not lag behind.

Advice to Management

Give the people who are doing the work the reins and get out of the way. It is the mandate of the management to lead or to support the people who are doing the work. It is not to interfere with the talent.

The spirit of Measured Progress is dead and gone

I have been working at Measured Progress full-time

Pros

It used to be a great company with a lot of spirit. We all wanted to contribute to the bottom line. It was about an assessment tool that mattered. It was about student learning. It was about customer service. It was about being the "little firm that could". It was about being flexible. It was about being relevant. It was about knowing our niche in the market and celebrating it. It was about being the company that Dept's of Education loved and wanted to work with. It was about camaraderie. It was about understanding we all had a function that was important. It was about working as a team.

Cons

All that is gone. It's about money. It's not about the assessment tool, it's about the delivery of it. It's not about student learning, it's about the next new shiny thing. It's not about customer service, it's about selling the customer something they didn't ask for. It's not about the "little firm that could", it's about the "little firm that wants to act like a big firm. It's not about being flexible, it's about change orders and who's to blame. It's not about our niche in the market, it's about ignoring that and wanting to compete with the big players. It's not about Dept's of Education that want to work with us, it's about telling them what they need. It's not about camaraderie, it's about finger pointing when things go wrong. it's not about understanding we all had a function, it's about your function is getting in the way of my work. It's not about a team, it's about finger pointing and blaming someone else for the problems.

Advice to Management

I have been through many changes and ups and downs at Measured Progress over the many years that I have worked there and I have never seen anything like this before. All of senior leadership is clueless. Martin Borg has had several years now to prove himself and has continually changed direction so many times, no one knows which way to turn. He can blame No Child Left Behind, Race to the Top and Common Core all he wants. The truth is, he has never had a clear vision and he constantly relies on everyone else to tell him what to do. He's surrounded himself with a senior management team that either doesn't know much more than him about this industry and what it takes to stay relevant, or he's surrounded himself with a senior management team that is so fearful of losing their jobs they keep all the details from him so that he has no idea how terrible things are for the employees. Either scenario is disturbing and it's time for him to go.

Senior management has relied on middle management to carry the ball for all these years and typically these people are working round the clock to try and get the work done with no authority to truly make changes to the business. Does it not speak volumes that everyone from middle management down is expected to get PMI certified, but senior management is not? Definitely a clear message that they view the problem as something occurring at the middle. How will senior management even know if middle management is following the PMI model if none of them have been certified?

George Herrmann as COO has been so busy climbing the corporate ladder that he never bothered to learn what anyone at the company does. He just knows they're all doing it wrong. His shoot first and ask questions later mentality has done a great deal of damage to the company and yet continues to be praised for all his hard work.

These two men have one major responsibility and that is to give their employees the tools they need to be successful. For the past several years, they have done none of that. They simply tell you you're not efficient enough and then lay off more of our co-workers and keep the several layers of management. So they have 10 layers of management telling the 3 people they have left to work harder.

The spirit is broken and it's not coming back. Those who aren't getting laid off are all looking for work and running for the hills. This is not the company that I started at. It's so sad to witness.

And shame on the Board of Directors for doing absolutely nothing to make this situation better. I don't see how this company will survive. No one is interested in working there anymore. And it's sad because when I tell people I work there, they used to say how badly they wanted to get a job there. Now they simply ask, "what the hell is going on over there"? I wish I had an answer.

RSS Feed </> Embed