Mechanics Bank Reviews

Steven K. Buster

1. The once proud community bank

Former Employee - Commercial Lender in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Lender in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mechanics Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family-like atmosphere with genuine concern for employees and their career growth.

Cons

Working environment changed with a new management team and excessive turnover resulted.

Advice to Management

Managing the bottom line isn't always the most ethical approach when dealing with staff.

2. Credit analyst

I have been working at Mechanics Bank

Pros

Family atmosphere, good work life balance

Cons

Internal upward movement is limited depending on division

Very Disappointing

Former Employee - Senior Management
    Former Employee - Senior Management

I worked at Mechanics Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best clients and employees. I worked for the company for over 20 years and loved my job and contribution to the organization. I had the pleasure of working with all levels of staff, tellers to upper management. We were known for our strong sense teamwork and empowering others.

I truly enjoyed most of my tenure with the company, highs and lows. However this past year and 1/2, just about removed that sentiment from my mind. Thanks goodness for memories.

Cons

Executive Management became the weakest link under the new leadership. Lack of respect or appreciation for their clients and employees. They did not care if they lost their best clients or their most talented employees. They are looking for order takers not strong employees to make a difference.

Advice to Management

1. Don't feel sad over a company that gave up on its people. Feel sorry for them, because they gave up on people that would have never given up on them.
    2. You may be book smart, but you are seriously lacking the humanity, maturity and people skills that made MB and the Downer legacy so strong. This all could have been accomplished with class and dignity. As opposed to blowing a whole in the ship and letting it sink.

I highly doubt the intent was to DESTROY what took 108 years to build, but I will give you a high five if that's what you were trying to accomplish!!! Brand destroyed.

5. Used to be a company with good culture & values that took pride in taking care of loyal clients.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Mechanics Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, OK benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Below maket comp. Inept executive management, mediocre managers afraid to make decisions. New CEO brought in to prep bank for sale is an incredibly nasty person.

Advice to Management

Karma

6. Too little too late.....

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Mechanics Bank

Pros

Salary is above average but that is changing now. Five years ago it was a good place to work for. Probably amongst the best local banks.

Cons

Low morale, staff is overworked, too many chiefs not doing anything, upper management is clueless. Training is a joke or non existant. Systems are over 10 years old. It's an opressive, tyrannical environment. Everyone is scared to lose their job. You move up in the ranks by who you know not because of your merrits. Regional manager yells and is verbally abusive and does not allow you to explain yourself. Employees walk in to the office and come out crying. Employees are taking on to many tasks at once and are overwhelmed by the workload. Policies and procedures change all the time because there is no uniformed system to make it all work. New CEO was hired to slash overhead which means even more workload to the current staff members. Bank is to be acquired by a private equity company and most likely sold in a few years to a big bank. The family wants out. They want their money and run for the hills. Overall the worst experience ever. I think prison would be a step up.

7. Once upon a time its was a good Company not any more

Current Employee - Operations Center in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Center in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Mechanics Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

not to many pros to talk about. It has become a horrible place to work

Cons

Mechanics bank use to care about its employees but today its just the opposite. Management has made it a sad miserable place to work. Taking away all employee perks, Firing long time good employees for made up reasons

Advice to Management

upper management is part of the problem. the manager of the operation center walks past employees as if she can't be bothered. like saying hello is just to hard. my supervisor has no idea what the words thank you are. she is the rudest person i've ever met, and she constantly complain how unhappy she is at home and at work making her work environment just as unhappy as she is

8. Started good then turned bad after new CEO arrived.

I have been working at Mechanics Bank

Pros

Great employees. Okay benefits. Family owned. Locally owned. I wish I could think of more pros.

Cons

Lots of lay offs. Low moral among employees. Work load is ridiculous across all departments. Bank has not kept up with advances in technology. Little communication.

9. It's an old company and you feel it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I have been working at Mechanics Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-It's easy to find people who have worked for the company 20, 30, 40 years.
    -You can find generations of workers throughout the company.
    -The company has the potential to be great.
    -There is a new CEO, Christa Steele, and she is trying to move the company out of the stone age.

Cons

-The company culture and environment is VERY VERY dated and lacks energy.
    -Change is not a word that is used very much or liked.
    -People are very complacent with how things are.
    -There is very little energy running through the company.
    -They're systems are very dated and they are behind the times.
    -They think they are great sellers and very knowledgeable, but that's questionable.
    -There is very little accountability and a huge amount of tolerance for non-performers.
    -Upper Management hesitates to make the necessary changes to move things forward.
    -Up to this point it appears that the people who love the company feel this way because their is little pressure to do more than bare minimum.

Advice to Management

-Hold people accountable.
    -Display energy and excitement so other follow suit.
    -Commit and take action to move forward, stop analyzing, testing and trying to decide if new processes will work; The answer is it will work as long as you hold people accountable; all the other banks tested, analyzed, and are proving that it works.
    -Help Christa Steele improve the company; she has big ideas in mind and it involves change; something the people at this company despise.

10. data entry clerk in Deposits

Former Employee - Data Clerk in Hercules, CA
    Former Employee - Data Clerk in Hercules, CA

I worked at Mechanics Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned. Good pay. Close to home.Interesting job. Good hours.

Cons

There were none. I loved working there. Sorry now I quit.

11. It was overall a great experience

Current Employee - Teller in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Mechanics Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the diversity of the workplace. I also enjoyed learning about all the different programs Mechanics bank had to offer.

Cons

Keeping work politics at a minimum

Advice to Management

One thing i would recommend is to have more staff meetings to keep us up to date with current products.