MedAssets

Updated November 18, 2014
2.7

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 11 reviews)

• Time will tell if we'll ever get strong senior leadership (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

No Family Like Environment in the I.T. dept

I worked at MedAssets

Pros

The company is very good at taking good care of the employees. It is good at work balance.This company is big on making sure that when you work hard, you can push off when you feel the need to.

Cons

The I.T. dept is not family oriented. They dont work as a team, dont respect one another, they dont believe in sharing intel with each other and God bless you if its something that you have a question about. You will get your head chewed off. This is not a place that I recommend it you are looking for a home. This place is not it. More throwing under the bus than I could ever imagine...This is definitely a headphone environment. STAY AWAY!

Get your I.T. dept more trained on Team work and stop all the back stabbing..

Changing landscape one week to the next

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance but its Getting worse though.

Cons

Too many processes without thought or care.

Implement processes based on the strength of the company. Do not blindly follow what the incoming people have implemented in much larger companies.

Seven years at MedAssets

Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training opportunities
    Exposure to diverse clients across the country

Cons

Male-centric organization; women are not valued nor promoted here
    Work life balance is non-existent
    The politically savvy get ahead while the workers continue to work to support them.

Consider that half the population is women and that women bring tremendous value to organizations. Provide opportunities to promote women instead of the good-old-boys club mentality.

MedAssets has provided a growth experience for me in healthcare

Current Employee - Regional Vice President
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn about various facets in healthcare

Cons

Not a technology company. Set up as an operational process company. Little to no innovation.

Instead of chasing healthcare. MedAssets has enough knowledge through its employees and data where we could be healthcare innovation leaders but I think we need to admit we are not a technology company and cut our losses, focus on what we do well and become innovators.

Watch out if you are a consultant

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, workout facility open to all, great cafeteria, and friendly people.

Cons

Full-time employees have a tremendous amount of pent-up anger towards management. If you are a consultant (contractor) beware. Contractors are disposed of on a constant basis and there is little or no training or direction.

Treat your consultants like real people who have families to go back home to. Manage the employees instead of just throwing a blanket over top of them and firing at will.

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Perks-continental breakfast every other week.

Cons

Awful Management, politics, miserable environment, immature people.

Stop hiring kids, who hire their husbands and their friends and promote them as directors.

Enforced Incompetence, Extreme Micromanagement

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, almost no expectation of overtime. For someone unqualified for their job a pro would be that they can get by with B.S.ing their way through and being a yes-man (or woman).

Cons

Make sure you ask about the non-disparagement agreement during the offer process so it won't be forced down your throat after it's too late.

About a month after started I was presented a required non-disparagement agreement about a month after starting, just long enough for interviews with other companies to grow cold, but I conveniently "forgot" to sign and no one noticed. That means being contractually prohibited from writing a negative GlassDoor review. Being yes-man (or woman) is rigidly enforced. My manager physically sat behind me watching every single line of code written insisting on copy-and-paste programming, prohibiting proper object-oriented programming.

The text of the agreement is as follows: "I must not disparage, criticize, malign, or defame MedAssets (or any of its clients or employees) to any of MedAssets’ employees, clients, service providers, suppliers, or contractors during or after my working relationship with MedAssets. Disparagement is any communication, oral or written, which would cause or tend to cause humiliation or embarrassment or to cause a recipient to question the business condition, integrity, product and service, quality, confidence or good character of any of MedAssets, its clients or employees."

Stop running your company like a dictatorship. You are not fooling anyone with your fake surveys.

Nightmare on Legacy Drive... Don't run INTO the building!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice campus (Plano), great corporate culture of giving back to the community. Stated corporate values are amazing. John Bardis actually walks the halls and speaks to the staff.

Cons

IT management clearly has no intention of living up to the corporate values. Start with a back-stabbing, self-serving IT leadership, mix in management by intimidation by the Directors, then add individual contributors in fear of speaking up, and you get the picture of the complete disfunction. Too bad that John Bardis can't see what is happening when walking the halls. There is no room for a professional to step in and execute. DO NOT WORK IN I.T. AT MEDASSETS IN PLANO.

Fire all the IT managers from the VP down... start from scratch. You cannot fix these people.

Great company vision - terrible company management

I have been working at MedAssets full-time

Pros

The CEO has a fantastic vision of how the company can impact healthcare in the US, and he is very motivating. The company focuses on charitable giving, which is also nice. There are some fantastic people here, but unfortunately, not many of the great people are in senior leadership roles.

Cons

Extremely poor senior leadership (especially in IT). There is very little oversight of VP and above, and these folks have a unique talent of running off good talent. It is extremely political, and senior leadership looks only to build their own power and influence - They are fantastic at managing up but pathetically poor at managing down. Morale is at an all-time low due to favoritism and unethical behavior of leadership.

Clean house in IT leadership. They are toxic. The talent bleed will continue as these folks fill all the leadership positions with their own drones, and continue to treat their employees as "resources" rather than human beings.

Great company! Moderate opportunity to advance and an awesome company culture.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is laid back and can be very fun.

Cons

The pay seems to be below market and the benefits are average.

Complete the compensation review and consider paying employees more.

MedAssets Response

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your review of MedAssets. We are committed to providing our employees with great company culture. We also understand that our team members are the key to our success; therefore ... More