MedAssets

MedAssets Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis

John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits)(in 15 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here(in 13 reviews)

• Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics(in 8 reviews)

Great people, leadership lacking

Senior Database Engineer (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCo-workers are some of the hardest working and best people I have worked with.

ConsSenior leadership focuses on the future but fails to address the enormous amount of technical debt that is preventing the company from realizing it's full potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementCease expenditures on hardware and short-term fixes and make a plan to address the technical debt.

I expected more

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsRelaxing atmosphere
    Minimal Micromanaging
    seems to be more interest in engaging employees recently
    Company gives you time as a full time employee to participate in charitable events and activities

Cons1. There is no formal career path to enhance your skills.

2. The benefit package that I was told was great is only a savings plan- so if you have real health issues and need frequent medical attention, you have to meet a high deductible.

3. The pay is mediocre, hard to manage the high deductible and bills with what I am getting after taxes.

4. Advancement is held to those that have the inside scoop as a favorite.

5. There is no information sharing.

6. Working hard for recognition doesn't seem to exist

Advice to Senior Managementthe business as whole needs to collaborate

information sharing- the left hand does need to know what the right hand is doing

salary- follow the market and stay competitive so that the turnover dwindles

health benefits- really. a company that is priding itself on helping hospitals save this many millions can't bother to ensure that their employees are saving money on their healthcare- come now

advancement- take pride in knowing you have loyal employees that will work hard for you--give better recognition through money and advancement

My review of working at MedAssets (this is strictly my opinion but accurate)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saddle River, NJ

ProsPTO, some genuinely nice colleagues, good location if one lives in Northern NJ, a few knowledgeable folks in leadership here and there, decent work/life balance.

ConsMany in MGMT are snakes and will throw you under a bus in the blink of an eye. Pay is not very competitive, health benefits leave much to be desired. What I find to be the biggest issue, and others have echoed this concern, is the extremely cliquish environment at MedAssets. It REALLY is all about who you know, and how well others perceive you. HR needs to step in and investigate what's been going on. It is also true that leadership is encouraged to post positive reviews on this site to offset the negative and accurate ones. I'm not bitter, but I really can't wait to get another job at this point.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your salaries to stay competitive in the market. Offer a better training/mentoring program. Create a more diversified work environment, bring in some fresh talent, and please look into the clique situation. This shouldn't be happening in corporate America. Also, those in leadership should encourage open and honest communication.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Medassets

ProsFun work environment. Good work life balance

Conslimited growth in the Georgia offices

Confusing and hard to work for and does not put client first unless it increases their bottomline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe hiring process was excellent and very thorough.

ConsDid not know who their client was and played divisions against each other

Great Ideals, Poor Execution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany-wide implementation of servant-leadership model, with performance reviews tied to servant leader principles may eventually improve culture.

ConsVery siloed organization with redundant and sometimes conflicting processes, poor communication between departments and from upper management down through the ranks. Constant pressure to improve margins, but poor infrastructure limits potential for success and results in absolutely zero work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent corporate culture reality is furthest from servant-leadership of any organization I have worked with. Principles are great, but are not espoused or embraced consistently across senior leadership, much less to the front-line employees.

Great opportunity to learn and grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternal promotions and great employee recognition. They allowed you to be a professional.

ConsAfter purchasing a number of companies, they seemed to lose their identity.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was sad to see that once new companies were purchased, management seemed to forget who helped them to get where they were at that point. A lot of talent was lost.

Casual friendly place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsWorkplace is casual and great way to get to know people. Good introduction into healthcare industry.

ConsBenefits could be better. Certain parts of organization needs to evaluate talent and get rid of poor performers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of people that do not provide value instead of allowing them to linger and causing more work for others.

And here I thought I was out of high school...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay was good for the job I had but not worth the aggravation.

ConsTo many silly games and hoops to jump through only to be set up for failure. Little training. No communication. No one knows who is doing what. Managers gossiping with employees about other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ridiculously high turnover for this one position in this particular department under this particular manager (6 people in under 2 years) should tell you something. It's not us... It's you.

Dream Job!!... read negative reviews with objectivity and realize they are one side of a story. :)

Corporate Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe company is a product of its owner/ leader John Bardis, who is an amazing man. What we do matters and there is no shortage of work to be done... however, if you believe that you should work as hard as you play.. than this is the place for you. In a perfect world.. id spend my entire career here and I'm only 28

ConsSmoking policy is a bit tough.. but being a healthcare improvement company.. I get it. Plus, I'm a bit bias.
    Literally nothing else to report and I'm really trying to think of something.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees and community and I assure you it will always attract the right people! Continue having a presence in the office.. and saying hello to us "little people" as rankings go, while passing by. Continue acknowleding those who acheive and encouraging those who strive to improve. Keep up everything that you are doing. The right people are def in place where it counts!

Worked for MedAssets? Contribute to the Community!