MedAssets

Updated December 14, 2014
2.6

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 11 reviews)

• Time will tell if we'll ever get strong senior leadership (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

No Family Like Environment in the I.T. dept

I worked at MedAssets

Pros

The company is very good at taking good care of the employees. It is good at work balance.This company is big on making sure that when you work hard, you can push off when you feel the need to.

Cons

The I.T. dept is not family oriented. They dont work as a team, dont respect one another, they dont believe in sharing intel with each other and God bless you if its something that you have a question about. You will get your head chewed off. This is not a place that I recommend it you are looking for a home. This place is not it. More throwing under the bus than I could ever imagine...This is definitely a headphone environment. STAY AWAY!

Get your I.T. dept more trained on Team work and stop all the back stabbing..

Level set your expectations....you are a walking target.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coffee is fantastic!
    Bagels on Friday
    Frequent HR sponsored employee functions
    Paycheck every two weeks

Cons

IT PMO Management operates on the basis of "Tell me what you think I want to hear, not what I need to know." Low initiative and drive as most are afraid to rock the boat for fear of losing their jobs for telling the truth. Most gave up caring about the company when management made it clear their input was not valued and they would leave in a heartbeat if a "better" (meaning more money/benefits) opportunity presented itself. Most of what remains could not find a comparable position elsewhere. Quality people will rarely have staying power at MedAssets due too internal cliques, politics and policies. As soon as you walk through the door as a motivated and intelligent high performer, you have a target placed on your back and everyone is waiting for you to fail... High performance people are not appreciated as the majority view them as a threat and resent their knowledge as opposed to learning. If you go here only expecting a paycheck and no growth, just settle into the mediocrity and MedAssets is the place for you.

That servant leader model stuff is a great idea, but it stopped at the top. Senior leadership nicknames like the Swede and the Intimidator don't sound much like servant leaders. Don't treat people as subordinates, treat them as a partner in your success.

Account rep

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers flexible hours. Great Work life balance. Free alcohol and food during employee appreciation day. Free food and emegengy supplies during a natural disaster. Lots of fund raising for special causes.

Cons

The place is micro managed and is being run like a concentration camp. Whites are considered family and have access to more opportunities. Blacks are more likely to get fired and get lower pay than whites and hispanics. Most managers have little or no experience. Executives treat employees like 2nd class citizens and managers spend most of their times gossiping about the staff.

Get involved and work for your pay. Treat people like human beings not trash. Stop the racism and favortism.

no wonder healthcare is expensive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

free yogart, banana, bagel, or donuts on Fridays

Cons

low pay, micro-management, distrust of employees

talk more big talks, promote more brown-nosers, make MDAS notorious

Watch out if you are a consultant

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, workout facility open to all, great cafeteria, and friendly people.

Cons

Full-time employees have a tremendous amount of pent-up anger towards management. If you are a consultant (contractor) beware. Contractors are disposed of on a constant basis and there is little or no training or direction.

Treat your consultants like real people who have families to go back home to. Manage the employees instead of just throwing a blanket over top of them and firing at will.

Seven years at MedAssets

Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training opportunities
    Exposure to diverse clients across the country

Cons

Male-centric organization; women are not valued nor promoted here
    Work life balance is non-existent
    The politically savvy get ahead while the workers continue to work to support them.

Consider that half the population is women and that women bring tremendous value to organizations. Provide opportunities to promote women instead of the good-old-boys club mentality.

Changing landscape one week to the next

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance but its Getting worse though.

Cons

Too many processes without thought or care.

Implement processes based on the strength of the company. Do not blindly follow what the incoming people have implemented in much larger companies.

MedAssets has provided a growth experience for me in healthcare

Current Employee - Regional Vice President
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn about various facets in healthcare

Cons

Not a technology company. Set up as an operational process company. Little to no innovation.

Instead of chasing healthcare. MedAssets has enough knowledge through its employees and data where we could be healthcare innovation leaders but I think we need to admit we are not a technology company and cut our losses, focus on what we do well and become innovators.

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Perks-continental breakfast every other week.

Cons

Awful Management, politics, miserable environment, immature people.

Stop hiring kids, who hire their husbands and their friends and promote them as directors.

Enforced Incompetence, Extreme Micromanagement

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, almost no expectation of overtime. For someone unqualified for their job a pro would be that they can get by with B.S.ing their way through and being a yes-man (or woman).

Cons

Make sure you ask about the non-disparagement agreement during the offer process so it won't be forced down your throat after it's too late.

About a month after started I was presented a required non-disparagement agreement about a month after starting, just long enough for interviews with other companies to grow cold, but I conveniently "forgot" to sign and no one noticed. That means being contractually prohibited from writing a negative GlassDoor review. Being yes-man (or woman) is rigidly enforced. My manager physically sat behind me watching every single line of code written insisting on copy-and-paste programming, prohibiting proper object-oriented programming.

The text of the agreement is as follows: "I must not disparage, criticize, malign, or defame MedAssets (or any of its clients or employees) to any of MedAssets’ employees, clients, service providers, suppliers, or contractors during or after my working relationship with MedAssets. Disparagement is any communication, oral or written, which would cause or tend to cause humiliation or embarrassment or to cause a recipient to question the business condition, integrity, product and service, quality, confidence or good character of any of MedAssets, its clients or employees."

Stop running your company like a dictatorship. You are not fooling anyone with your fake surveys.