MedAssets

MedAssets Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis

John A. Bardis

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Divisional management was not on the same page as senior management"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic Company

Corporate Talent Acquisition (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for less than a year

ProsThe PEOPLE.. The culture. The business itself.

Consnone to report as of this date

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat you are doing is working. Keep it up

Great culture, still growing company, but a few bad apples can sour the experience

Technical (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time for more than a year

ProsThe dept I worked in was flexible when it came to taking time off. I could leave for an appointment as long as I did the expected of advised my team, made my time up, or got approval to take it as PTO. Onsite HR is very verbal about wanting to know what they can do to better your experience at MedAssets. It's a company wide effort. They frequently send out quick surveys, asking for feedback. Great commitment to charities & local involvement. The company really stood out to me when Sandy hit the Northeast & impacted many employees in the area. MedAssets made a point to bring the following & more: a fuel truck so employees could fuel their cars, bottled water, blankets, clothing, food & toiletries. It was a great thing to hear how our leaders pulled together to get supplies to our coworkers.

The CEO enjoys sharing his sense of humor & it doesn't always come across as humorous to everyone, I never had an issue with it. Lots of ways to be involved on-site, brand new facility with state of the art technology, including white noise to help with the noise level in some noisier areas. The company enjoys having wine & beer at functions. I like the fact that they recognize that we're mature adults & can determine how much alcohol we should or shouldn't consume at events. Not all employees embrace this perk. Other perks include: Mother's room, phone rooms, solid wall bathroom stalls, free coffee/tea/cocoa on every floor of each tower, birthday cake each month in recognition of those who were born that month, 24/7 5500 sqft fitness center, classes for Yoga, Pilates, etc held at diff times of the day, game room with Wii, billiards, Foosball, basketball court, 18-hole min-golf, on-site cafeteria (serving tuna, lamb, buffalo, salmon), seated patio areas, sidewalk around perimeter for walking, heart & soul program (you're paid 40 hrs a year to help out at a qualifying charity of your choosing. It's like an extra week of vacation pay.). I very much enjoyed working for the company itself.

ConsWhen there is a change of direction for your dept or team, you need to be sure to get management to spell out how it changes your role. If you cannot keep up with this new change, start looking for another job. Your manager can deem your services to be 'no longer be needed' & no matter how hard you work to satisfy them, you can be fired - with no clear explanation why.

If you have a desire to change depts due to finding more interest in a new one or feel you fit better, do so before any formal steps are taken by management within the current dept. If your manager decides to put you on a PIP (performance improvement plan), which typically lasts 30 days, you cannot change depts until you have successfully completed that PIP. If you're not familiar with a PIP, the PIP isn't for YOU to be a better employee, it's for your manager to get better results from you, as an employee. HR will not back you or be on your side once this happens. So plan accordingly & keep your resume up to date. Because once the decision has been made, you will be quietly whisked out the door. They will ship your belongings to you.

MedAssets

Account Manager - Client Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work environment with great people

ConsLow Pay and very little raises

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter salaries and more opportunities

Ones of the better companies out there

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for less than a year

ProsCharity work, high employee morale, good compensation, awesome coworkers, flexible work schedule, work/life balance, great Plano facility and location.

ConsMedical benefits are horrible, the multiple aquisitions have created a silos, very old hardware.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money on newer hardware so we can provide more stable environments for our customers.

Great place to work

Contract Analyst (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time

ProsGreat people, opportunity for growth, awesome work life balance

ConsPay scale for job is lower but overall package great

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary adjustment in area I work

Improving all around

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture is young and friendly with plenty of smart people. The work-life balance is very good with flexible schedules and generous PTO. If you're capable, you're given plenty of responsibility and ownership over your tasks. They just built a new office in Plano, and it is spectacular!

ConsLeadership at the very top level has always seemed hands-off, and there has been a history of political positioning due to the many acquisitions that were poorly managed. This year, however, I have not noticed any of these politics. The COO appears to be running the company, and he has made many changes, bringing in better talent at many levels. I have been happy with my choice to join MedAssets and can see things improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a Jeff Bezos approach to the market: Be worried about your company's performance in 5 years, not just tomorrow's performance. Continue to invest in improving infrastructure, processes, and R&D of products that have a longer payout than 6 months.

Awesome Company!!!

Account Manager - Client Services (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA

I worked at MedAssets full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat management, good benefits and pay!

ConsNone! I loved working at MedAssets. I had to leave my position to be with my family in Canada. John Bardis is a superstar. Most people have no idea of the many acts of kindness that this man has done for others. He never wants recognition. He is a true Christian and humanitarian.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!!!!

It's Gettin' Better All The Time

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCorporate has taken a number of positive steps to bring in experienced business operators across the company following the hiring of a COO a little over a year ago.
You can't find a better balance of passion for company, people, country and charities.
Health care is a growing market; there should be continuing opportunities for job growth and new hires.

ConsStill a lot of grumbling from employees below the manager ranks, but it is hard to tell if the gripes are specific to MedAssets or just normal dissatisfaction with day-to-day work or specific co-workers or managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do a better job of holding senior leaders and executives accountable for poor hiring and operating decisions.

Love it!

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- A fast-paced, growing company with a fantastic future in the healthcare industry; we are uniquely positioned among our competitors to address the changing healthcare market
- Laced with employees who genuinely care about the company and our clients and the ultimate impact of how what we does impacts patient care
- Multiple divisions within the company, so opportunities for career growth
- Extremely charitable - company supports an orphanage in Africa, partners with other companies to send medical equipment to third-world countries, is very involved in helping veterans find employment through HireHeroes USA, allows employees up to 40 hours each year to volunteer (completely separate from any other paid time off programs)
- Leaders are working hard to increase employee engagement
- This is a FUN company to work at. We have many cultural activities like field days, a fall festival, charity day, Pi Day, chili cook-offs, etc., to make it a fun work community
- Work/life balance is great. Managers are flexible and I genuinely feel that I'm paid for results, not the time I put in. If I want to leave early on a Thursday for a happy hour or on a Friday for a long weekend, no problem; my manager knows my work will get done.

Cons- The medical benefits are not great. Company last year went to consumer-driven health plans (CDHP) like so many companies across the country are. This is a huge change for employees and requires that they become more active in planning and making decisions on their health care. Premiums are low but deductibles are high and people don't understand the trade-off.
- There are still silos to break down between the divisions.
- Company is coming off a two-year integration program after acquiring the Broadlane Group. Has it been bumpy? Yes! But it's also been exciting to watch these two former competitors come together as one company. Is it perfect? No, and it likely never will be (what company is?). But the leadership is trying hard under the vision of our CEO, John Bardis. I actually see this as a "pro" but they were outweighing the cons so I listed it here as many people would have a hard time dealing with the length of this process... but you have to be in it for the long haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees. Keep communicating your vision. Recognize employees. Maintain work/life balance.

Great company that does wonders for its employees

Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome growing company with a modern outlook in the healthcare revenue field. Always providing the latest resources & training tools for employees. Also a company that whole heartedly cares for the employees! MedAssets has a ton of humanity fundraisers & the most exquisite company holiday parties!

ConsShared knowledge from different departments. Each dept may use different tools depending in their workflows & responsibility but those tools are often found can benefit a different dept that never had the knowledge of the capability of the tool use.

Worked for MedAssets? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MedAssets reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MedAssets CEO John A. Bardis. All 188 reviews posted anonymously by MedAssets employees.