MedAssets Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.7

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They have a manager who openly admits she is involved with the KKK and upper management is aware and does not care (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

No Family Like Environment in the I.T. dept

I worked at MedAssets

Pros

The company is very good at taking good care of the employees. It is good at work balance.This company is big on making sure that when you work hard, you can push off when you feel the need to.

Cons

The I.T. dept is not family oriented. They dont work as a team, dont respect one another, they dont believe in sharing intel with each other and God bless you if its something that you have a question about. You will get your head chewed off. This is not a place that I recommend it you are looking for a home. This place is not it. More throwing under the bus than I could ever imagine...This is definitely a headphone environment. STAY AWAY!

Get your I.T. dept more trained on Team work and stop all the back stabbing..

Enforced Incompetence, Extreme Micromanagement

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, almost no expectation of overtime. For someone unqualified for their job a pro would be that they can get by with B.S.ing their way through and being a yes-man (or woman).

Cons

Make sure you ask about the non-disparagement agreement during the offer process so it won't be forced down your throat after it's too late.

About a month after started I was presented a required non-disparagement agreement about a month after starting, just long enough for interviews with other companies to grow cold, but I conveniently "forgot" to sign and no one noticed. That means being contractually prohibited from writing a negative GlassDoor review. Being yes-man (or woman) is rigidly enforced. My manager physically sat behind me watching every single line of code written insisting on copy-and-paste programming, prohibiting proper object-oriented programming.

The text of the agreement is as follows: "I must not disparage, criticize, malign, or defame MedAssets (or any of its clients or employees) to any of MedAssets’ employees, clients, service providers, suppliers, or contractors during or after my working relationship with MedAssets. Disparagement is any communication, oral or written, which would cause or tend to cause humiliation or embarrassment or to cause a recipient to question the business condition, integrity, product and service, quality, confidence or good character of any of MedAssets, its clients or employees."

Stop running your company like a dictatorship. You are not fooling anyone with your fake surveys.

Job Seeker BEWARE!!!!!

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing, absolutely nothing is worth staying here.

Cons

Where do I begin? This place is full of two faced people who will be nice to your face and turn around and talk about you like a dog. The environment is HORRIBLE. Watch your back at all times is all I have to say. Management is CLUELESS!!!!!!!!

Open your eyes, people!

MedAssets has provided a growth experience for me in healthcare

Current Employee - Regional Vice President
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn about various facets in healthcare

Cons

Not a technology company. Set up as an operational process company. Little to no innovation.

Instead of chasing healthcare. MedAssets has enough knowledge through its employees and data where we could be healthcare innovation leaders but I think we need to admit we are not a technology company and cut our losses, focus on what we do well and become innovators.

One the the Worst Places to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing good about the company in the recent times .

Cons

MedAssets was once a company where you would want to get up every morning and go to work with a happy face .But with the recent management changes in IT , the higher management is completely blinded and the lower management is playing favorites and if you don't bend your head and follow instructions ...you will be forced to go out of the company . There is no confidentiality in the company ...what ever you talk to HR is completely exposed to the managers .

If you haven't noticed most of your senior and experienced IT employees leaving the company...well now it is the time to open up and dig into the things happening around .

Great company vision - terrible company management

I have been working at MedAssets full-time

Pros

The CEO has a fantastic vision of how the company can impact healthcare in the US, and he is very motivating. The company focuses on charitable giving, which is also nice. There are some fantastic people here, but unfortunately, not many of the great people are in senior leadership roles.

Cons

Extremely poor senior leadership (especially in IT). There is very little oversight of VP and above, and these folks have a unique talent of running off good talent. It is extremely political, and senior leadership looks only to build their own power and influence - They are fantastic at managing up but pathetically poor at managing down. Morale is at an all-time low due to favoritism and unethical behavior of leadership.

Clean house in IT leadership. They are toxic. The talent bleed will continue as these folks fill all the leadership positions with their own drones, and continue to treat their employees as "resources" rather than human beings.

The company as a whole is well deserving of 5 stars.

Former Employee - Revenue Control Analyst in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Former Employee - Revenue Control Analyst in Cape Girardeau, MO

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is favorable. Not much overtime to worry about. Casual atmosphere. Generous time off policies. Occasional fun activities.

Cons

Benefits are lacking and disappearing. Nepatism and favoritism are rampant. Lack of guidance regarding specific job duties and legal procedures.

Lower management is given too much leeway with their duties. The checks and balances system is manipulated every day. These need to be reviewed more often.

GO IN WITH YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The PTO you get is very good and they do have a good Christmas Party

Cons

1. Senior management is a joke!! They do not have an open door policy.. If u disagree with them you too will soon be gone..
    2. Advancement is held to those that have the inside scoop as a favorite
    3. Working hard for recognition doesn't seem to exist
    4. Too many silly games and hoops to jump through only to be set up for failure. Little training. No communication. No one knows who is doing what. Managers gossiping with employees about other employees
    5. When there is a change of direction for your dept. or team, you need to be sure to get management to spell out how it changes your role. If you cannot keep up with this new change, start looking for another job. Your manager can deem your services to be 'no longer be needed' & no matter how hard you work to satisfy them, you can be fired - with no clear explanation why.
    6. If you have a desire to change depts. due to finding more interest in a new one or feel you fit better, do so before any formal steps are taken by management within the current dept. If your manager decides to put you on a PIP (performance improvement plan), which typically lasts 30 days, you cannot change depts. until you have successfully completed that PIP. If you're not familiar with a PIP, the PIP isn't for YOU to be a better employee; it's for your manager to get better results from you, as an employee. HR will not back you or be on your side once this happens. So plan accordingly & keep your resume up to date. Because once the decision has been made, you will be quietly whisked out the door. They will ship your belongings to you.
    7. So many snakes in middle management. You only move up by being a yes man, being favored or throwing your coworkers under the bus.
    Very little recognition for true performance and work.

Need to change things or your going to keep loosing good people

Very stuck in their ways

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

Decent benefits and Salary on par or above competitors. Most people are very friendly and have lots of extra curricular activities. Very nice building and great cafe.

Cons

Senior management does not seem to address issues. Have brought numerous issues to the attention of Vice Presidents and although he says things will be done, nothing is. Training is non existent.

Great company! Moderate opportunity to advance and an awesome company culture.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is laid back and can be very fun.

Cons

The pay seems to be below market and the benefits are average.

Complete the compensation review and consider paying employees more.

MedAssets Response

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your review of MedAssets. We are committed to providing our employees with great company culture. We also understand that our team members are the key to our success; therefore ... More