MedAssets

Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 11 reviews)

• Time will tell if we'll ever get strong senior leadership (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Watch out if you are a consultant

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, workout facility open to all, great cafeteria, and friendly people.

Cons

Full-time employees have a tremendous amount of pent-up anger towards management. If you are a consultant (contractor) beware. Contractors are disposed of on a constant basis and there is little or no training or direction.

Treat your consultants like real people who have families to go back home to. Manage the employees instead of just throwing a blanket over top of them and firing at will.

Nightmare on Legacy Drive... Don't run INTO the building!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice campus (Plano), great corporate culture of giving back to the community. Stated corporate values are amazing. John Bardis actually walks the halls and speaks to the staff.

Cons

IT management clearly has no intention of living up to the corporate values. Start with a back-stabbing, self-serving IT leadership, mix in management by intimidation by the Directors, then add individual contributors in fear of speaking up, and you get the picture of the complete disfunction. Too bad that John Bardis can't see what is happening when walking the halls. There is no room for a professional to step in and execute. DO NOT WORK IN I.T. AT MEDASSETS IN PLANO.

Fire all the IT managers from the VP down... start from scratch. You cannot fix these people.

Great company vision - terrible company management

I have been working at MedAssets full-time

Pros

The CEO has a fantastic vision of how the company can impact healthcare in the US, and he is very motivating. The company focuses on charitable giving, which is also nice. There are some fantastic people here, but unfortunately, not many of the great people are in senior leadership roles.

Cons

Extremely poor senior leadership (especially in IT). There is very little oversight of VP and above, and these folks have a unique talent of running off good talent. It is extremely political, and senior leadership looks only to build their own power and influence - They are fantastic at managing up but pathetically poor at managing down. Morale is at an all-time low due to favoritism and unethical behavior of leadership.

Clean house in IT leadership. They are toxic. The talent bleed will continue as these folks fill all the leadership positions with their own drones, and continue to treat their employees as "resources" rather than human beings.

MedAssets is a solid company in many ways but they aren't the highest paying company.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with lots of opportunities

Cons

They pay below the market rate

Increase your investment in your people

MedAssets Response

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are excited to hear that you appreciate the many opportunities MedAssets has to offer; we are highly committed to providing our associates with growth opportunities ... More

Great company! Moderate opportunity to advance and an awesome company culture.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is laid back and can be very fun.

Cons

The pay seems to be below market and the benefits are average.

Complete the compensation review and consider paying employees more.

MedAssets Response

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your review of MedAssets. We are committed to providing our employees with great company culture. We also understand that our team members are the key to our success; therefore ... More

IT IS VERY MUCH AN EYE OPENER !

I have been working at MedAssets full-time

Pros

I like the fact that people pull together to get things that needs to be done, done. I also like the fact you are always learning new ways and improved ways to do your job, and you are given the chance to put the hours in to get it done.

Cons

The most important con about working at this job is that the commute to get here is a big one. know and understand that you staff dose not like to be threat'en. buy doing so you make them feel like slaves.

I would just like to say concerning this question that I would very much like for the management to give a bit more appreciation to the staff on all levels.and forward them there just due instead of always trying to feed them and a form of compensation.

Too many meetings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

High energy company dedicated to customer satisfaction.

Cons

Because it was an Agile shop, the number of meetings could be unbelievable. The contractors were also treated like 2nd class workers.

One the the Worst Places to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing good about the company in the recent times .

Cons

MedAssets was once a company where you would want to get up every morning and go to work with a happy face .But with the recent management changes in IT , the higher management is completely blinded and the lower management is playing favorites and if you don't bend your head and follow instructions ...you will be forced to go out of the company . There is no confidentiality in the company ...what ever you talk to HR is completely exposed to the managers .

If you haven't noticed most of your senior and experienced IT employees leaving the company...well now it is the time to open up and dig into the things happening around .

Job Seeker BEWARE!!!!!

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing, absolutely nothing is worth staying here.

Cons

Where do I begin? This place is full of two faced people who will be nice to your face and turn around and talk about you like a dog. The environment is HORRIBLE. Watch your back at all times is all I have to say. Management is CLUELESS!!!!!!!!

Open your eyes, people!

A visionary company striving to keep their clients a step or two ahead of the changing healthcare markets.

Former Employee - Client Executive in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Client Executive in Princeton, NJ

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They really value their employees and do a lot at their physical locations to keep people healthy and active!. Their Founder, John Bardis, is a very visionary leader!

Cons

For field employees, the training and support is not standard across all clients.

Don't be so greedy on current contracts and take a look see for consistencies in level of support and services. It shouldn't be left entirely up to the field rep to define how a client is serviced. Sooner or later clients compare notes!