MedAssets Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
2.7

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • They have a manager who openly admits she is involved with the KKK and upper management is aware and does not care (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Confusing and hard to work for and does not put client first unless it increases their bottomline

I worked at MedAssets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hiring process was excellent and very thorough.

Cons

Did not know who their client was and played divisions against each other

Medassets

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

Fun work environment. Good work life balance

Cons

limited growth in the Georgia offices

Great Ideals, Poor Execution

I worked at MedAssets

Pros

Company-wide implementation of servant-leadership model, with performance reviews tied to servant leader principles may eventually improve culture.

Cons

Very siloed organization with redundant and sometimes conflicting processes, poor communication between departments and from upper management down through the ranks. Constant pressure to improve margins, but poor infrastructure limits potential for success and results in absolutely zero work-life balance.

Current corporate culture reality is furthest from servant-leadership of any organization I have worked with. Principles are great, but are not espoused or embraced consistently across senior leadership, much less to the front-line employees.

Two good years but becoming cautious about what lies ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Stellar office in Plano. Enjoy working in healthcare where I feel we are making a difference in the integrity of the healthcare system. I think my dept historically has worked great as a team and the people I work with are also my friends outside of work in many cases. We recently had a company outing which included alcohol and that's always nice! I don't want to tout alcohol as a benefit but it is nice working for a company that knows how to relax. This is the exact opposite of where I came from.

Cons

In rev cycle there is little innovation in new products. We've lost some really good leaders in rev cycle ops over the past few months, especially in my dept. Not let go but opted to leave for various reasons. This worries me as I know one in particular was very much a MedAssets supporter and it was definitely shocking to see him leave. New VP of my dept seems to be good guy and have solid leadership experience but doesn't have the knowledge we need NOW to really move us forward. Seems more focused on sales opportunities than helping us implement. It feels as if something has happened recently where work just isn't as enjoyable. And I have to add, the deductible in the health plan is ridiculous.

Where I am, we need leaders with industry experience to help with the challenges we have. Consider having a separate medical deductible for each family member so if I have one family member that has a lot of medical needs, I pay coinsurance sooner for care for that individual only. Otherwise, I love this place and even with the problems would still highly recommend as a place to work. Just want it to stay this way!

Great opportunity to learn and grow.

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Internal promotions and great employee recognition. They allowed you to be a professional.

Cons

After purchasing a number of companies, they seemed to lose their identity.

It was sad to see that once new companies were purchased, management seemed to forget who helped them to get where they were at that point. A lot of talent was lost.

Casual friendly place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Workplace is casual and great way to get to know people. Good introduction into healthcare industry.

Cons

Benefits could be better. Certain parts of organization needs to evaluate talent and get rid of poor performers

Get rid of people that do not provide value instead of allowing them to linger and causing more work for others.

And here I thought I was out of high school...

I worked at MedAssets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay was good for the job I had but not worth the aggravation.

Cons

To many silly games and hoops to jump through only to be set up for failure. Little training. No communication. No one knows who is doing what. Managers gossiping with employees about other employees.

The ridiculously high turnover for this one position in this particular department under this particular manager (6 people in under 2 years) should tell you something. It's not us... It's you.

WATCH OUT FOR THIS COMPANY IT IS NOT WHAT IT APPEARS TO BE

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO is awesome that is about it

Cons

I have worked for this company for more then two years and I can't wait to get another job. This place does not care about there employees they only care about them self. Yea they have company picnic, Christmas party but the work you have to do for this place is not worth it.

If you are not a kiss butt you will get no where in this company. It is a shame that the CEO has no idea what really goes on in his company. He is only being told what he his upper management tells him.

It is funny at town hall meetings they tell us that the survey that we all take tells them they Medassets is doing GREAT well I believe that this is a lie and they just tell us they are doing great and that every employee loves working for medassets.

In my 2 years working for this company I have seen so many people leave because this place treats people like they are robots and god forbid you don't kiss butt or agree you can kiss your job goodbye. Or they make your life a living hell. And when glassdoor gets to many negative reviews on this web site medassets management ask employees to go on here and write positive ones. I know that to be true because my department was told to write positive reviews so CEO does not look bad. Again can't wait to find a new job and fast.

learn to treat your employees better especially the ones that bust there butts for you and just because we don't kiss butt you should treat every employee the same.

Dream Job!!... read negative reviews with objectivity and realize they are one side of a story. :)

Current Employee - Corporate Talent Acquisition in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is a product of its owner/ leader John Bardis, who is an amazing man. What we do matters and there is no shortage of work to be done... however, if you believe that you should work as hard as you play.. than this is the place for you. In a perfect world.. id spend my entire career here and I'm only 28

Cons

Smoking policy is a bit tough.. but being a healthcare improvement company.. I get it. Plus, I'm a bit bias.
    Literally nothing else to report and I'm really trying to think of something.

Continue to invest in your employees and community and I assure you it will always attract the right people! Continue having a presence in the office.. and saying hello to us "little people" as rankings go, while passing by. Continue acknowleding those who acheive and encouraging those who strive to improve. Keep up everything that you are doing. The right people are def in place where it counts!

MedAssets Response

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for this great review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoy working with us and we appreciate all that you do for MedAssets.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Corporate Talent Acquisition in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

MedAssets is a great company for numerous reasons. The compensation for my role was fair, the overall company culture (in the Plano office) and team environment is incredible! This location definitely is of the mentality of "work hard/play hard." You get to work in a beautiful building with tons of windows and great lighting. There's a cool put-put golf course you can play on to clear your mind or take a spin class in the gym on the first floor. The cafe has awesome breakfast and lunch and as you walk down the halls, you can see huge portraits of fallen servicemen and read about their stories - very patriotic and humbling. Just an incredible place to work! I'm new, but I can already tell this is definitely a company I want to stay and grow with for years and even decades to come!

Cons

Honestly, I don't have any cons to speak of. I had quite a few contacts already working with the company before I started and they all had nothing but positive things to say, and now that I'm on board - I feel the same way!