MedAssets

Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 11 reviews)

• Time will tell if we'll ever get strong senior leadership (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

The company as a whole is well deserving of 5 stars.

Former Employee - Revenue Control Analyst in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Former Employee - Revenue Control Analyst in Cape Girardeau, MO

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is favorable. Not much overtime to worry about. Casual atmosphere. Generous time off policies. Occasional fun activities.

Cons

Benefits are lacking and disappearing. Nepatism and favoritism are rampant. Lack of guidance regarding specific job duties and legal procedures.

Lower management is given too much leeway with their duties. The checks and balances system is manipulated every day. These need to be reviewed more often.

Very stuck in their ways

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

Decent benefits and Salary on par or above competitors. Most people are very friendly and have lots of extra curricular activities. Very nice building and great cafe.

Cons

Senior management does not seem to address issues. Have brought numerous issues to the attention of Vice Presidents and although he says things will be done, nothing is. Training is non existent.

GO IN WITH YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The PTO you get is very good and they do have a good Christmas Party

Cons

1. Senior management is a joke!! They do not have an open door policy.. If u disagree with them you too will soon be gone..
    2. Advancement is held to those that have the inside scoop as a favorite
    3. Working hard for recognition doesn't seem to exist
    4. Too many silly games and hoops to jump through only to be set up for failure. Little training. No communication. No one knows who is doing what. Managers gossiping with employees about other employees
    5. When there is a change of direction for your dept. or team, you need to be sure to get management to spell out how it changes your role. If you cannot keep up with this new change, start looking for another job. Your manager can deem your services to be 'no longer be needed' & no matter how hard you work to satisfy them, you can be fired - with no clear explanation why.
    6. If you have a desire to change depts. due to finding more interest in a new one or feel you fit better, do so before any formal steps are taken by management within the current dept. If your manager decides to put you on a PIP (performance improvement plan), which typically lasts 30 days, you cannot change depts. until you have successfully completed that PIP. If you're not familiar with a PIP, the PIP isn't for YOU to be a better employee; it's for your manager to get better results from you, as an employee. HR will not back you or be on your side once this happens. So plan accordingly & keep your resume up to date. Because once the decision has been made, you will be quietly whisked out the door. They will ship your belongings to you.
    7. So many snakes in middle management. You only move up by being a yes man, being favored or throwing your coworkers under the bus.
    Very little recognition for true performance and work.

Need to change things or your going to keep loosing good people

My experience has been good but its not for the long-term.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are fun. Flexible WFH days.

Cons

Management is not good. Low promotion rate.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Manager, Software Development in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Manager, Software Development in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance depending on the product you are on. Good Culture! New Building with good amenities. Decent benefits

Cons

Product innovation seems to be in a lull.

Keep up the employee engagement policies

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate you taking time to provide us with your opinions about MedAssets. Our company is committed to providing our employees with great company culture and the ... More

Solidly Decent Place to Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is the third bowl of porridge of employers: not bad, but not great either. The work atmosphere is great, the best I've ever been in, with a strong work/life balance ethic. The people here are fantastic. The company is doing very good things for society, including the various veteran support charities they have started. I really like my chain of management. This is a good company to work for.

Cons

Compensation is all over the map. Be sure to check an industry salary report before accepting an offer.

Yearly raises can be incredibly anemic (1-1.5%) despite strong financial performance of the company.

Career path is pathetic.The CS wing of the company and they are restructuring the job titles and pay bands across all the teams. This is a bad idea because the engineers are being brought to account management career paths, and it just doesn't work for career development for the engineers.

Dev hand-off to support is a joke and has caused many, many business critical issues.

The work on the software support side of the company can get very monotonous and routine. Not much room for growth, depending on how stable the products are, and they have been very stable for the last 6 months.

Re-examine pay structures and career paths.

Great people, leadership lacking

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are some of the hardest working and best people I have worked with.

Cons

Senior leadership focuses on the future but fails to address the enormous amount of technical debt that is preventing the company from realizing it's full potential.

Cease expenditures on hardware and short-term fixes and make a plan to address the technical debt.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Patient Account Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at MedAssets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly people, helpful managers, and good pay

Cons

Seated to close together without petitions you can over here your coworkers calls while you're trying to talk to your client.

More space needed for privacy

Sep 29, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed your experience here at MedAssets.

Two steps away from being in hell

Current Employee - Par in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Par in Nashville, TN

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees I work with made it a great place to work

Cons

Senior management is a joke!! They do not have an open door policy.. If u disagree with them you too will soon be gone.. They are prejudice in the Nashville office.. They have offered hush money to black people ready to sue for being fired for no reason.. They have a manager who openly admits she is involved with the KKK and upper management is aware and does not care.. She has been heard calling a group of people the "N" word and all that happens is she gets promoted... If you are a minority you will never move up in this company.
    Another example: One white par and One black par applies for the same position.. The white par has no background in this type of business she used to sell ice cream.. The company uses all of The black pars ideas and continually ask her for more ideas.. When the decision is made the whit par got the position!!! Surprise surprise !!!! Very prejudice people.. John bardis is aware of all that is going on, but because he is more worried about showing his face on tv and trying to pretend how great he is...
    The post u see on here are not always accurate because we are being told that when there are too many neg comments they want us to get on here and fake some positive ones... Just be careful of this company.. It's not what it seems

Get your head out if your butts and pay attention.. You have great people here.. Promote the good ones and stop promoting them just because they are white

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

At MedAssets, we are committed to fostering the highest standards of business conduct and creating a work environment that exhibits the highest levels of integrity. As part of our continuing efforts ... More

I expected more

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxing atmosphere
    Minimal Micromanaging
    seems to be more interest in engaging employees recently
    Company gives you time as a full time employee to participate in charitable events and activities

Cons

1. There is no formal career path to enhance your skills.

2. The benefit package that I was told was great is only a savings plan- so if you have real health issues and need frequent medical attention, you have to meet a high deductible.

3. The pay is mediocre, hard to manage the high deductible and bills with what I am getting after taxes.

4. Advancement is held to those that have the inside scoop as a favorite.

5. There is no information sharing.

6. Working hard for recognition doesn't seem to exist

the business as whole needs to collaborate

information sharing- the left hand does need to know what the right hand is doing

salary- follow the market and stay competitive so that the turnover dwindles

health benefits- really. a company that is priding itself on helping hospitals save this many millions can't bother to ensure that their employees are saving money on their healthcare- come now

advancement- take pride in knowing you have loyal employees that will work hard for you--give better recognition through money and advancement