MedAssets Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.9

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis
John A. Bardis

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 15 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here (in 13 reviews)

• Senior management in technology is not ethical and play lot politics (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Dead end job

Current Employee - Account Manager - Client Services
    Current Employee - Account Manager - Client Services

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel opportunities, PTO, casual dress

Cons

If you work in one of the remote offices you can forget about upward movement. We have been told that if we want to move up we'd have to move. There is no career ladder for Account Management and promotions are not given based on hard work but on the $$ of your clients -which are chosen for you. Little respect or recognition for the work you do, or a job well done. Management only focuses on what you did wrong. After 5 years of hard work and dedication I barely get "Thank You" from my manager. Compensation is a joke as well as health insurance. For all the work we do we should at the very least be compensated for it.

Pay your "worker bees" a respectable salaries if you want to keep them. Promote positiveness and promote capable well qualified people.

Poor Management, very low salary compare to other companies

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

Company involvement with charity work and building strong relationship with Iocal community

Cons

Salaries are very low compare to other companies, no work from home option if weather is bad, too much of micro managements, no proper training or even documentation on any of the technical processes

Get proper training on how to be true leader not micro manager

Can't find a different job fast enough.

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

The PTO given is wonderful! Being able to use Heart and Soul to help with non-profit organizations is great, really allows people to be more involved with the community.

Cons

I think that if you do not work with customers that you should have the option to work from home. Even if it's not all the time, but due to sick kids, bad weather, or if you are sick you can still work. Because, your work piles up while you are gone because they don't have people trained to do your job, and the supervisor doesn't do it while you are gone. And that's another problem, Management! They hire their friends to be other managers, and they don't have the knowledge to do the job. False promises and back stabbing is their MO! They are rude and micromanage! You can't go to HR because they side with the managers, and never follow up on anything that you want to talk to them about. Pay is awful! But, I'm sure it's just the little guys that suffer. Management is sitting pretty.

Really take a look at what is going on...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look elsewhere. I had to give this place 1 star because you can't rate it 0.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Business casual dress code, work from home depending on job role

Cons

Where shall I start. HORRIBLE medical insurance. I guess they consider this is still a benefit/favor to you versus dropping it entirely. Horrible favoritism - it's a cliquish, high-school popularity contest they have going at this place, and if you are a "chosen one" you will wear teflon against any poor performance or other deficiencies.

Improve your benefits to stay competitive. Launch a true HR performance management program to at least TRY to address the clique problem. Above all, quit changing senior leadership and stick with a plan more than 2 months before going through with yet another of what seems like 700 "re-alignments".

MedAssets is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

MedAssets has a strong culture dedicated to community support. They go out of their way to support a number of charities and strongly encourage all their employees to dedicate time to charitable organizations.

Cons

There needs to be more synergy between the company segments.

Negotiator

Current Employee - Negotiator  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Negotiator in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pleasant work environment, nice co-workers

Cons

No written job processes for some jobs. Training is almost non existent. Ask 5 people about how do perform a particular job step you will get 5 different answers.

Get consistent processes across the company. There are so many ways to do the same process and no-one seems to have the correct, official way of doing things.

A lot of heart, not enough heads!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at MedAssets full-time

Pros

Great community outreach. It's a company that believes in giving back.

Also, working there gives you a good exposure to the Healthcare industry. I learnt a lot during my time there.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros.

One, they're terribly managed, with reorgs happening faster than the seasons changing. Also, a lot of their core people have left, so management tries to squeeze work out of the remaining people and the newcomers. At one point, I was doing the work of four people.

Second, it's a company of salespeople. They sell first and then scramble to back up what they have sold. Works sometimes, but not always.

Three, the sister business lines do not cooperate with each other. Each side is afraid of "losing business" to the other. They seem to forget they're part of the same company. Which brings me to the next con.

Four, the company has acquired a lot of small businesses over the years. However, the acquisitions have not yet translated into a seamless product suite. The end result is that clients experience each product differently, some good, some bad. This inconsistency is frustrating.

Five, don't go there expecting a good pay. Treat this company as a learning experience, nothing more.

Six, while management recognizes that they have problems, they have no idea where to begin to fix them. Everyone's hearts are in the right place, but their heads are all over the place.

Try to get down to the real root cause of your problems, instead of suggesting band-aids. Engage clients in a more meaningful way. And don't try to fix all problems at once.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Contract Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time

Pros

Great people, opportunity for growth, awesome work life balance

Cons

Pay scale for job is lower but overall package great

Salary adjustment in area I work

worker bee

Current Employee - Worker Bee  in  Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than a year

Pros

good corporate values, charitable, great co-workers

Cons

poor management, overwork you, compensate unfairly

be fair, review your structure, reward hard workers

Micro Management with a capital M.

Current Employee - Client Services  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PTO, Company parties. Good products, and some good people. (turnover is rearing it's head) OK benefits. Good overall company culture and vision. That falls off at the middle management level.

Cons

Salary, treatment of employees by moddle management. If you like to be micro managed by people who have no product knowledge this is the place for you. If you are a yes person and agree with whatever your manager says, you will go far here. (regardless of whether it is what is best for the company and the client). Lip service (both butt kissing and saying yes to mgmt) will get you promoted. If you know your job, are good at it and wish to be recognized or promoted, look elsewhere. Manageement is very vendictive if you do not agree with them, and are not afraid to show it.

Promote hard workers, get rid of middle management and their political games. It is costing you many good employees., (look at the turnover) and hurting the clients. Clients will only put up with so much before they cancell and go elsewhere.

Worked for MedAssets? Contribute to the Community!