MedAssets Reviews

Reset
2.1
MedAssets CEO R. Halsey Wise
R. Halsey Wise

Pros
  • Work/life balance is better than most (even though the company offers bargain benefits) (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, laid-back environment, have the opportunity to participate in many charitable opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not seem to address issues (in 11 reviews)

• Extremely poor senior leadership (especially in IT) (in 8 reviews)

1. claims analyst

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets

Pros

Good hours ok pay . You can move around easily. Nice summer picinic. Work independently while big self proficient.

Cons

They hire mostly through temp agency to see if you can work out.

Advice to Management

They need to stop going through the temp agency. Vacation should be scheduled when it is planned not 6 mos in advance.

A big dissapointment

Former Employee - Commercial Follow Up Representative in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Commercial Follow Up Representative in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great happy hours, and Christmas parties. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Management does not know how to train employees. Also there is a lot of nepotism in that company (hiring relatives with no experience). No wonder why Medassets lost over 20 million dollars (last year) in profits. Managers do not take suggestions in a friendly manner. They think that employees (propose an alternative solution) are insubordinate, creating tension in that company. Also the QA (Quality Assurance) has to stop. This "impartial review" decreases moral in employees because workers (who are favorites and do not follow the proper steps) get to pass these quality reviews. While other employees (that get the company paid and follow most of the steps) get to fail these reviews, with the excuse " you are right, but it is what it is ." Managers are so disoriented that an employee ask one question to four different managers, and you get four different answers. It is unbelievable.

Advice to Management

This company has a lot of potential. However, if managers keep on doing what they are doing, Medassets will lose the USC account very soon.

3. Positive Work Environment

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, Good Staff & Salary

Cons

Working Hours should be flexible, Career growth is limited

5. worker bee

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good corporate values, charitable, great co-workers

Cons

poor management, overwork you, compensate unfairly

Advice to Management

be fair, review your structure, reward hard workers

A terrible, dishonest workplace run by self-interested, morally reprehensible people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am struggling to think of anything that is a true, unequivocal pro of working at MedAssets. I feel a moral obligation to advise any interested parties that no pro of working at MedAssets renders a job offer from this company worth accepting. Seriously. But, since you asked:

The PTO was somewhat generous, though not bankable, and there was tremendous pressure from upper-management not to use it.

There is an annual company picnic, to which your family is not invited, and you get to miss one day of work without taking a PTO day to attend. Of course, if for whatever reason you are not able to attend the picnic, like because you'd rather throw yourself down a set of stairs than attend a social event with your MedAssets coworkers, you have to take a PTO day.

There is an annual Christmas party. It's gaudy and kind of depressing, but the drinks are free.

The company seems to be under the impression that they can atone for their general inability to create a positive work environment by providing free food. The idea is insulting in and of itself, but if you don't think too hard about it I suppose free cake is nice.

I worked in the Saddle River, NJ office, where Hurricane Sandy did quite a bit of damage. Gas was difficult to access in the aftermath, and in a truly generous attempt to help his NJ employees, the company's Plano-based CEO arranged for a gas tank to come to the Saddle River office and provide free gas for the employees.

Cons

The compensation and benefits at this company are absurd. MedAssets has clearly made the choice to under-compensate all but their most senior employees and deal with the resulting turnover rather than truly invest in their workers by keeping pace with industry/regional trends. The health benefits are bad, which I suppose is not unusual, but as a healthcare company MedAssets should be embarrassed. I suppose that if they were to stop cutting corners in terms of salary and benefits, they might be forced to confront their professional ineptitude. Which brings me to my next con...

MedAssets, at least the division I worked for, is run by people who don't have a true understanding of the healthcare industry, or even of their own product. They're blinded by their personal ambitions and politics, and for that reason and so many others, MedAssets is a volatile and unstable work environment with unhappy clients who are always terminating. The company simply doesn't deliver on its promises to customers, and, unlike their employees who are bound by their need for employment, their customers can take their business elsewhere.

Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here. I found myself continually amazed by the brazen, overt, unabashed self-interest of senior-level employees at this company. If you like playing games, this is the place for you. If you expect to prosper by hard work and commitment, prepare for never-ending frustration.

The company has a stuffy, antiquated attitude about their work environment, and is laughably out of touch with current workplace trends. Dress-down Fridays, inflexible schedules, and the mass 5 PM exodus are the norm here. It's all so unenlightened, and if MedAssets plans to be competitive in attracting younger talent, they'll have to reevaluate the whole mid-80s, business-casual schtick.

Working at this company is one, long, sociological case-study in what becomes of those who failed to achieve social acceptance in high school. Cliques upon cliques upon cliques, all of which are orchestrated, maintained, and habitually reinforced by upper management. If you are not among the chosen ones, you can expect to be marginalized. And even if you are, falls from grace are comically frequent.

Prepare to be constantly working against the self-imposed limitations of your own company. No one was provided with the resources they needed to do their jobs well - the division I worked for didn't even have an onsight IT department. Let me repeat that for you - this was an office of about four hundred that did. not. have. an. onsight. IT department. Not that we would have benefited much from their presence, since the company was completely unwilling to purchase upgraded or improved technology for their employees, even if their work performance was suffering due to old or outdated technology. Most employees were forced to keep slow, malfunctioning computers until they were literally unusable (in fact, a work-performance rewards program implemented shortly before I left offered an upgrade of your work computer as one of the highest achievable rewards. Am I taking crazy pills?).

Here is my bottom line with this review - life is too short to work at MedAssets. Not everyone is the type to live to work, but I assure you, there are better places to watch the clock than here. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say to upper management. I would encourage MedAssets' board and executive management to do an honest reevaluation of the priorities and abilities of their upper management.

7. Good Company to work for

I worked at MedAssets full-time

Pros

I am genuinely impressed by the company's dedication to social programs, veterans, charity, etc. They are lenient, allowing flexible hours and work location. The management is dedicated and smart. This is a good employer.

Cons

Health insurance offering is poor quality and expensive. Some aspects of the company are a little disorganized, but nothing too severe.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. Great company that does wonders for its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome growing company with a modern outlook in the healthcare revenue field. Always providing the latest resources & training tools for employees. Also a company that whole heartedly cares for the employees! MedAssets has a ton of humanity fundraisers & the most exquisite company holiday parties!

Cons

Shared knowledge from different departments. Each dept may use different tools depending in their workflows & responsibility but those tools are often found can benefit a different dept that never had the knowledge of the capability of the tool use.

“I worked at MedAssets for six years, it was great at first and then things change...

Former Employee - Former Clinical Denials Representative in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Clinical Denials Representative in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a generous amount of PTO time. They offer paid volunteer time for up to a week per year.

Cons

In return for paying half the health insurance premium, deductibles are sky high and payroll deductions go up a lot every year. No PPO/POS option in 2013, HSA only. There are some upper management that do not know what they are doing & do not need to be in the positions they are in. There are too many cliques with some management & employees, a little closer than what there should be. Managers are afraid to back you up, so you end up being thrown under the bus
    It is taking a while to get processes in place, and a lot of people don't know what they are doing
    There is no general documentation, so no reference to what was done, the procedures change every month and not every body is told, so every body is doing something different.
     The first place I have seen where being a long-term employee is actually a liability.

Advice to Management

If you have an opinion contrary to your boss or director, it won't matter how good you are or how hard you work or how long you were there. Stop demeaning and making the employees afraid of losing their jobs. The management are knowledgeable in their fields, however lack the ability to lead.

10. Pretty good, as far as big companies go.

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

Fun parties, good people, open communication. I'm never afraid to mention something to my peers or manager. They go out of their way to make communication inviting.

Cons

Too big to actually get anything done, unless you ignore everybody and do everything yourself without telling anyone about it. IT bureaucracy is inexcusable and completely ineffective. Management goes on and on about how they're championing training, but when something is suggested, it get lost in miles of red tape and never gets implemented.

Advice to Management

Make training a priority, and seriously mean it. Cut the red tape in IT. The Help Desk is an expensive joke.

11. Destined for Success

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

Management that is honest, direct and fair. A company that truly cares about its employees and proves this time and time again. Leaders that are always willing to hear your concerns. Strong foundation built by strong leaders. A culture that awards overachievement.

Cons

Like most companies out there in this economy, the burden of having to make tough choices and cuts. Companies sometimes need to right size in order to secure the employment of the majority. The expectations for speed of operation are somewhat unrealistic, its a pace thats hard to sustain over time. If you prefer the complacent job, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Look for solutions regarding the benefit plan options. Not all employees can afford these high deductible plans.

RSS Feed </> Embed