MedAssets

MedAssets Chairman, President, and CEO John A. Bardis

John A. Bardis

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Saddle River, NJ

ProsI am genuinely impressed by the company's dedication to social programs, veterans, charity, etc. They are lenient, allowing flexible hours and work location. The management is dedicated and smart. This is a good employer.

ConsHealth insurance offering is poor quality and expensive. Some aspects of the company are a little disorganized, but nothing too severe.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Positive Work Environment

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with, Good Staff & Salary

ConsWorking Hours should be flexible, Career growth is limited

worker bee

Worker Bee (Current Employee)
    Saddle River, NJ

Prosgood corporate values, charitable, great co-workers

Conspoor management, overwork you, compensate unfairly

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair, review your structure, reward hard workers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A terrible, dishonest workplace run by self-interested, morally reprehensible people.

(Former Employee)
    Saddle River, NJ

ProsI am struggling to think of anything that is a true, unequivocal pro of working at MedAssets. I feel a moral obligation to advise any interested parties that no pro of working at MedAssets renders a job offer from this company worth accepting. Seriously. But, since you asked:

The PTO was somewhat generous, though not bankable, and there was tremendous pressure from upper-management not to use it.

There is an annual company picnic, to which your family is not invited, and you get to miss one day of work without taking a PTO day to attend. Of course, if for whatever reason you are not able to attend the picnic, like because you'd rather throw yourself down a set of stairs than attend a social event with your MedAssets coworkers, you have to take a PTO day.

There is an annual Christmas party. It's gaudy and kind of depressing, but the drinks are free.

The company seems to be under the impression that they can atone for their general inability to create a positive work environment by providing free food. The idea is insulting in and of itself, but if you don't think too hard about it I suppose free cake is nice.

I worked in the Saddle River, NJ office, where Hurricane Sandy did quite a bit of damage. Gas was difficult to access in the aftermath, and in a truly generous attempt to help his NJ employees, the company's Plano-based CEO arranged for a gas tank to come to the Saddle River office and provide free gas for the employees.

ConsThe compensation and benefits at this company are absurd. MedAssets has clearly made the choice to under-compensate all but their most senior employees and deal with the resulting turnover rather than truly invest in their workers by keeping pace with industry/regional trends. The health benefits are bad, which I suppose is not unusual, but as a healthcare company MedAssets should be embarrassed. I suppose that if they were to stop cutting corners in terms of salary and benefits, they might be forced to confront their professional ineptitude. Which brings me to my next con...

MedAssets, at least the division I worked for, is run by people who don't have a true understanding of the healthcare industry, or even of their own product. They're blinded by their personal ambitions and politics, and for that reason and so many others, MedAssets is a volatile and unstable work environment with unhappy clients who are always terminating. The company simply doesn't deliver on its promises to customers, and, unlike their employees who are bound by their need for employment, their customers can take their business elsewhere.

Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here. I found myself continually amazed by the brazen, overt, unabashed self-interest of senior-level employees at this company. If you like playing games, this is the place for you. If you expect to prosper by hard work and commitment, prepare for never-ending frustration.

The company has a stuffy, antiquated attitude about their work environment, and is laughably out of touch with current workplace trends. Dress-down Fridays, inflexible schedules, and the mass 5 PM exodus are the norm here. It's all so unenlightened, and if MedAssets plans to be competitive in attracting younger talent, they'll have to reevaluate the whole mid-80s, business-casual schtick.

Working at this company is one, long, sociological case-study in what becomes of those who failed to achieve social acceptance in high school. Cliques upon cliques upon cliques, all of which are orchestrated, maintained, and habitually reinforced by upper management. If you are not among the chosen ones, you can expect to be marginalized. And even if you are, falls from grace are comically frequent.

Prepare to be constantly working against the self-imposed limitations of your own company. No one was provided with the resources they needed to do their jobs well - the division I worked for didn't even have an onsight IT department. Let me repeat that for you - this was an office of about four hundred that did. not. have. an. onsight. IT department. Not that we would have benefited much from their presence, since the company was completely unwilling to purchase upgraded or improved technology for their employees, even if their work performance was suffering due to old or outdated technology. Most employees were forced to keep slow, malfunctioning computers until they were literally unusable (in fact, a work-performance rewards program implemented shortly before I left offered an upgrade of your work computer as one of the highest achievable rewards. Am I taking crazy pills?).

Here is my bottom line with this review - life is too short to work at MedAssets. Not everyone is the type to live to work, but I assure you, there are better places to watch the clock than here. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have nothing to say to upper management. I would encourage MedAssets' board and executive management to do an honest reevaluation of the priorities and abilities of their upper management.

Great company that does wonders for its employees

Saddle River, NJ

ProsAwesome growing company with a modern outlook in the healthcare revenue field. Always providing the latest resources & training tools for employees. Also a company that whole heartedly cares for the employees! MedAssets has a ton of humanity fundraisers & the most exquisite company holiday parties!

ConsShared knowledge from different departments. Each dept may use different tools depending in their workflows & responsibility but those tools are often found can benefit a different dept that never had the knowledge of the capability of the tool use.

“I worked at MedAssets for six years, it was great at first and then things change...

Former Clinical Denials Representative (Former Employee)
    Saddle River, NJ

ProsYou get a generous amount of PTO time. They offer paid volunteer time for up to a week per year.

ConsIn return for paying half the health insurance premium, deductibles are sky high and payroll deductions go up a lot every year. No PPO/POS option in 2013, HSA only. There are some upper management that do not know what they are doing & do not need to be in the positions they are in. There are too many cliques with some management & employees, a little closer than what there should be. Managers are afraid to back you up, so you end up being thrown under the bus
    It is taking a while to get processes in place, and a lot of people don't know what they are doing
    There is no general documentation, so no reference to what was done, the procedures change every month and not every body is told, so every body is doing something different.
     The first place I have seen where being a long-term employee is actually a liability.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an opinion contrary to your boss or director, it won't matter how good you are or how hard you work or how long you were there. Stop demeaning and making the employees afraid of losing their jobs. The management are knowledgeable in their fields, however lack the ability to lead.

Pretty good, as far as big companies go.

Saddle River, NJ

ProsFun parties, good people, open communication. I'm never afraid to mention something to my peers or manager. They go out of their way to make communication inviting.

ConsToo big to actually get anything done, unless you ignore everybody and do everything yourself without telling anyone about it. IT bureaucracy is inexcusable and completely ineffective. Management goes on and on about how they're championing training, but when something is suggested, it get lost in miles of red tape and never gets implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake training a priority, and seriously mean it. Cut the red tape in IT. The Help Desk is an expensive joke.

Destined for Success

Saddle River, NJ

ProsManagement that is honest, direct and fair. A company that truly cares about its employees and proves this time and time again. Leaders that are always willing to hear your concerns. Strong foundation built by strong leaders. A culture that awards overachievement.

ConsLike most companies out there in this economy, the burden of having to make tough choices and cuts. Companies sometimes need to right size in order to secure the employment of the majority. The expectations for speed of operation are somewhat unrealistic, its a pace thats hard to sustain over time. If you prefer the complacent job, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for solutions regarding the benefit plan options. Not all employees can afford these high deductible plans.

Nice normal corporate place. 8:30-5:ish, Decent pay, good vacation, nice people.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saddle River, NJ

ProsThe people who work here are nice and fun to be around. As a company, Medassets is good at showing non-monetary appreciation with events like a summer picnic and holiday party. Middle management is good with feedback and things like pizza parties. Pay and vacation seems standard to most successful corporate entities. They truly do care about their employees and offer paid volunteer time for up to a week per year.

ConsBenefits packages are very contribution-heavy, and some people in departments not my own have trouble becoming available to actually use their vacation time. Much of the middle to low senior management are still pretty young, so company growth is the only opportunity for advancement. The IT ticketing system is a nightmare to get anything fixed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecentralize some more aspects of day to day operations (IT support, recruitment). You purchased multiple small companies because they were successful. Pool resources at need, not by requirement. Let them do what they do best.

When I started I felt like a lost wolf. With the implementation of the Mentor program things have truly turned around.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Saddle River, NJ

ProsVery understanding of home and work balance. Salary is in line with other consulting firms. Great health benefits.

ConsLeadership changes. I do however feel the current changes are extremely positive and that our division is finally headed in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the worker bees a bit more. We are the ones in the weeds and truly do know what we are talking about.

Worked for MedAssets? Contribute to the Community!

MedAssets Videos

MedAssets – Why Work for Us?

A passion to improve healthcare quality and effectiveness MedAssets is at the center of improving the quality and effectiveness of the healthcare industry. From establishing best practice value for clinical and labor… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MedAssets reviews and ratings in Saddle River, NJ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MedAssets CEO John A. Bardis. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by MedAssets employees.