MedExpress Urgent Care

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.7

Frank W. Alderman

Pros
  • Three day work week for full-time employees, work three 12-hour shifts/week (in 5 reviews)

• Working 3 12's gives you more days off during the week (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Center manager talks down to clinical staff to make herself feel better (in 6 reviews)

• They make changes to the front office constantly (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

You will regret it

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at MedExpress Urgent Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work until it became the good ole boys club!

Cons

Some Center managers have NO medical background.
    Very business oriented not patient focuses
    Charging $15 for medications at their "pharmacy" that can be purchased for $1-$2 at the drug store
    Once I spoke up my manager labeled me as negative which was the beginning of the end
    Changed hours to 8a-8p, you never get off at 8. Your lucky to be out at 9p! 13 hour shifts with no lunch!

Pay more attention to what the center managers are doing! I worked there for over 4 years and forced to resign! I wasn't even told why except for it was my performance. My center manager was a 28 year old kid!!! I was written up for crutches not being put away!!

BEST PLACE TO WORK!

I have been working at MedExpress Urgent Care

Pros

The culture at MedExpress is the best part of working for them. Everyone is so nice, caring, and willing to help! Freedom to manage my own territory with support from my manager. Not micromanaged. Pay is decent. Free drinks and candy at centers.

Cons

I honestly dont have one con at the moment. I love MedExpress and think its a great place to work. Hands down, my best employer yet!

Keep up the awesome work!

Worked as an intern in the accounting department

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at MedExpress Urgent Care as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot working over the summer. All the people were very nice and very helpful. Would recommend this internship.

Cons

There are really no cons to the job. The accounting department could be a little more organized and the people could communicate a little better.

No real advice to management. Changes were in the process of being made and a lot of improvements were already made. Keep doing what your doing.

BEST EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE IN MY CAREER

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in East Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in East Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at MedExpress Urgent Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

BEST MANAGER EVER!! approachable, friendly, concerned, professional, supportive, funny
    Self scheduling
    Manager supports my school schedule
    Great hours
    Thanksgiving and Christmas Closed, Christmas Eve early.........first time in my Profession :)
    Beautiful Clean Work Environment
    Necessary supplies provided for work needs
    Supportive Administration
    Great Benefits
    Front office Assistants (FOAs) are well trained
    Radiology Technicians are allowed to do most tasks that RNs can
    Policy and Procedures are openly available and easily accessible.
    Centers are identical for easy coverage needs
    For anyone that complains about work load, hours, or break time -- you have NEVER worked in a hospital environment. We have an amazing work environment.

Cons

Benefits are very expensive (although very good )
    Paid Time Off is ridiculously low (accrual rate 4 hours a month....is ridiculous)...most places I have worked are 10hours a pay check
    Radiology Technicians are allowed to perform many tasks but not all of them are willing to do the tasks
    Not all MDs are properly trained (ex; "I don't like to do sutures")
    FOAs sometimes over step their positions (ex; telling RNs and RAd Techs what they should be doing.)
    Sick time?? there is none -- it comes out of the same bank at vacation -- that is fine when you get more than enough - but 4 hours enough -- you are forced to come to work sick

Assure that all Clinical Staff are properly trained and able to perform expected tasks
    Do not tolerate disrespect
    Realize that your staff needs more Paid Time Off to avoid burn out.
    Give proper sick time so that no one comes to work sick
    Hire enough "casual" employees so that there is coverage in an emergency
    Do not hire Doctors who do not feel comfortable practicing in an Urgent Care Center

Love MedExpress!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at MedExpress Urgent Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MedExpress has offered solid career advancement opportunities, competitive compensation, and is genuinely a good environment to work in. Dr. Alderman provides a great vision and I believe his values are apparent throughout the organization.

Cons

Benefit costs have gone up, but I believe this is pretty standard across most industries, and I believe this year will be minimal.

Leadership has done a much better job being available and providing standard updates on state of the business over the past year. I hope this continues.

Short but ok

Former Employee - Front Office Assistant in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Front Office Assistant in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at MedExpress Urgent Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Used as a part time before I moved on. Nice people, low pay.

Cons

Doctors and PA's were over taxed by the load of work.

Keep it up, you're a young company that can grow

Experience is exceptional, staff isn't very pleasant

Current Employee - Front Office Assistant in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Front Office Assistant in Hanover, PA

I have been working at MedExpress Urgent Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Long 12 hour shifts, so only 3 day work week.

Cons

Half hour lunch, if you even get that

Great Workplace

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Watchung, NJ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Watchung, NJ

I have been working at MedExpress Urgent Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great workplace culture. Benefits are great. Absolutely love the people I have met through MedExpress.

Cons

Sometimes management loses site of what their clinical and office personnel are up against when it comes to providing patient care. It is important to make our patients happy but sometimes patients may not agree with their care. Our scores suffer if the patient doesn't agree with the care but they have to remember they don't always know best.

Was Great Care,Fast

I worked at MedExpress Urgent Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Has great center level staff that can be very family oriented as you spend long days together. Only work 3 days a week. Great learning opportunity

Cons

Owners have lost true vision and will let outsiders dictate how things should be ran without knowing anything about true day to day operations

Listen to what is going on in the field and go back to a employee friendly practice that values patients

Disappointment; No concern or value for employees, just a company looking to make money

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at MedExpress Urgent Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

12 hour work days (3-days a week)
    Provided Snacks/Drinks
    Good Learning Opportunity

Cons

Management contains no values to employees
    Corporate treats employees like dirt
    Conflicts are not handled appropriately, instead they are overlooked
    They try to hide any events that occur within the company, such as a large layoffs
    Provided Snacks/Drinks are being cut so that the corporation can profit more money
    Radiologic Technologists are pretty much so looked at as worthless employees; they cut their hours first even though they are one of the most important employees at the clinics
    The company only cares about themselves, not others
    Corporate uses their private jet non-stop
    They stopped having Christmas parties to save money to pocket for their worthless District Managers
    During their large layoff in January, they released employees who had multiple years of experience and good records with the company; they chose to keep individuals whose parents were in management roles in the company and who were friends with other people
    They tell you day one about career opportunities, then turn around and fire those who work their way up, unless of course your mommy or daddy is involved in a higher corporate or management role or you're a favorite of one of the directors.
    Benefits are absolutely garbage (some of the worst I have ever seen)
    They have zero values
    They are constantly condescending employees. Rather than rewarding they tell you about how much you do wrong and what needs to be improved.
    When they did renovations, they never thanked the employees for putting up with all the dust, noise and construction issues, but instead criticized on why wait times were increased (meanwhile rooms were limited as they reduced them down due to storage issues from ripping apart a clinic).

Start caring about your employees and instead of looking at pocketing money, maybe give some decent raises and better pay to the people who make your centers run. Additionally, maybe you should consider keeping employees who dedicated themselves to making this company better. You're a disgrace to the healthcare field, and majority of management has absolutely no idea the first thing about the healthcare field. The best advice for management: quit and go work at McDonald's and Walmart - the place that you honestly belong.

MedExpress Urgent Care Photos