MedImmune

MedImmune President Bahija Jallal

Bahija Jallal

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Disappointed

Scientist I (Current Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsNONE that I can think of at this moment

ConsThis company has utter disrespect for employee safety, especially during Hurricane Sandy. This storm is described as "unprecedented," "catastrophic," "deadly," etc. MD and DC are under states of emergencies and local and government officials are warning residents not to travel unless absolutely necessary. All schools, local and FEDERAL governments are closed. Metro and bus service is suspended. Yet MedImmune remains open. We must use vacation if we do not travel to work in these potentially dangerous conditions and wind gusts.
    Money, not safety, is their top priority. In 2011, when the DC area was hit by a 5.8 earthquake, MedImmune employees were told, "For future reference, and unless otherwise notified by EHS Personnel, employees should not evacuate their buildings." We were told to keep working, while government was encouraging employees to evacuate and stay safe.
    In a recent employee satisfaction survey, employee engagement has significantly dropped. MedImmune needs to take these results seriously and realise that employees are not satisfied with the leadership running this organisation and the poor descions being made.
    I have never worked at an establishment where my safety was put into jeopardy for their financial gain. Working from home is not an option for those of us in R&D
    Lastly, I'd like to state that the employee emergency hotline has yet to be updated today, when our state is under an emergency declaration. I have to leave my children home alone and travel to work, where absolutely nothing will get done today.
    The complete lack of leadership at this organisation in making this judgement call is staggeringly disappointing

Advice to Senior ManagementPut employee safety first

Great company to work for.

Director of Finance (Former Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsThe company is still going through growing pains, but everyone involved still tries to keep the same biotech environment. Great team effort across the organization.

ConsSo many buildings so far apart. Not sure how that can be resolved until total construction is completed.

A going concern

Director (Current Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsReasonable pay, benefits, and ameities; generally very nice co-workers; serious responsibilities for important licensed and investigational products

ConsConcern over rumored high turnover in personnel: Why wouldn't staff be contented and stay for many years?

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy HR patterns systematically. Figure out what factors lead good employees to look for new positions, and devise solutions to those problems to retain experienced good people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best for non-PhD

Associate Scientist I (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits
    Pretty good work life balance

ConsIf you want to get ahead intellectually or cross train, this is not the place

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease actually see what goes on at middle management levels- most managers lack managerial skills and there is no place to complain.

Great company for an R&D scientist

Scientist II (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent salary
    Very nice gym
    Nice buildings, grounds and facilities
    I don't know what life is like in other departments and I understand that lower level Scientist jobs can be frustrating and mundane, but I really don't understand some of the reviews I read for this company and I don't know what the folks complaining actually want. Coming from academia, I know what no work-life balance is, and Medimmune is luxurious. I never see anyone here after 6 (other than other research junkies) and on weekends you could set off a fire alarm and I think 5 people would appear. Management encourages work-life balance and we get bombarded with emails about how to take care of ourselves. They regularly do surveys on what we want to improve things, and act on it if possible (like dry cleaning, the fitness center, an ATM with no fees, in chair massage services, a medical clinic, a metro shuttle service). Then half the time, nobody ever uses them (though they complain if its taken away of course). The metro shuttle service was fantastic but we lost it because hardly anyone used it and it turned out it would cost the company less to bring us here in cabs every day. To their credit though, they really did give the service every chance and in the end arranged a compromise that, while not as good, is better than nothing.

I realise a lot of the really dissatisfied reviews comes from Associates scientists who want to advance, but I have limited sympathy after years of hard work and low wages completing a PhD and post-doctoral training. There are plenty of very capable nurses who could easily do the job of a physician, but life doesn't work like that. If you want that job, go off and get the qualification like we did. Yes, there are senior folks in research (exceptionally good ones) that did not get PhDs, but those days are over.

Like all of Pharma, Medi is struggling with finances but they are doing their best to keep the sacrifice sensible and equitable. There was a huge amount of fat here that was ready to be trimmed from what I could see and we are now getting things done far more efficiently than even 6 months ago. I really think a lot of people who have worked in industry a long time are spoiled from some good years and don't know how hard life is in the rest of the world of science.

Though it's fair to say the quality of life here is very manager-dependent. If you report to someone good, your life is a dream, if not you're screwed. There's not much back up or escape in this regard, but it's a big enough company that you can move internally, and folks who aren't happy should do that as the manager gets flagged if too many people leave their group.

I enjoy working here so much I try not to tell the ones I had to leave behind because it seems kind of cruel. Any R&D scientist who wants to work in industry would be very very happy here. ...

ConsSome spoiled employees who don't know a good thing when they have it
    Promotions are difficult. Aim for the highest appointment possible on entry and shouldn't expect promotion within 4-5 years of joining the company.
    They treat contractors horribly
    The IT support is WOEFUL!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage real innovation, not just more of the same.

Entrepreneurial mid-sized biotech company, with exciting opportunities for growth as an employee

Scientist (Former Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsOpportunities internally to develop transferable skills such as team-working as well as technical skills like technical writing.

ConsIn transition from small to mid-sized biotech company; infrastructure is evolving to meet company needs. New construction of offices, labs, etc ongoing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company, well managed.

Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

Gaithersburg, MD

ProsHigh salaries and good benefits such as EAP to deal with emotional demands. There are some truly remarkable staff level employees.

ConsManagement operates in a 'reality free' zone. This might work if you are Steve Jobs, but not in this organization. Culture is one of problem avoidance, transference or denial.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart talking in real terms about the problems and why this firm is behaving differently than its peers. Start rewarding risk taking even when things do not succeed.

Need the money and can't move

Manager (Current Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

Pros-Nice cafeteria; expensive food
    -Nice facilities; temp control an issue in some buildings
    -Nice Fitness center
    -work at home allowed for some positions

Cons--Employees stressed with multiple projects
    -They give out lots of 2's in evaluations (needs improvement ) so they don';t have to pay out bonuses.Many employees shafted this year
    -HR is not effective and slow to respond to basic HR issues. Who ever heard of an HR that does not review job descriptions. Why let managers hire people who do not have qualifications for the position
    -hiring freeze in place
    -no travel allowed, people cannot take external training anymore and they also balk at paying tuition reimbursement
    -many people I know are looking for another job but feel stuck in Maryland with few career options/companies in the area
    -inxperienced managers; bad behavior bullying tolerated
    -AZ collaboration not working out

Advice to Senior Management-Pay equal salaries and give promotional opportunities to females, over 40, experienced people and minorities
    -Ever heard of implementing policies to retain people?
    -Ever heard of equal opportunity?
    -Pay attention to dysfunctional HR
    -Don't expect people to perform after witholding bonus
    -Please read Focus reviews and make managers implement improvements and offer career counseling (if they are capable)

Horrible Senior Management and HR Treats Employees with Disrespect

R&D Manager (Former Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsAbility to work on biotech R&D and close to Washingington DC metro area.

ConsTerrible senior management team and HR. Discriminates against women and minorities at the senior levels of the company. Very much a "good old boys" club in management. Company is being completely mismanaged by senior management and has been rated by business analysts as a total flop of an acquisition by AstraZeneca.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would not recommend to work at this place. No long term career opportunity at MedImmune.

A medical paradox: low regard to the individual, integrity and work quality. No place for a career.

ProsNice on-site gym
    Cafeteria at main building
    Lots of parking overall
    Silos of workers clearly identifiable across the company
    Offices are clean. Trash gets emptied every night

ConsDownsizing has left major functional gaps where unqualified, good intending people have to wear multiple hats and the consequences of bad reviews.
    Poor on-boarding of new employees
    Nearly non-existent leadership, no accountability
    No clear objectives or direction causing chaos and conflict amongst silos. Difficult environment with ambiguity and political complexities.
    Management communication by PowerPoint
    No career opportunities for advancement due to fraternizing

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new management with solid people skills and proven track records in corporate turnarounds.
    Forget the PowerPoint presentations. Walk the halls, stop by an office, hold a group meeting and try to have real conversations.

Worked for MedImmune? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MedImmune reviews and ratings in Gaithersburg, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MedImmune CEO Bahija Jallal. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by MedImmune employees.