MedImmune

Updated August 10, 2014

3.5

MedImmune President Bahija Jallal
Bahija Jallal

Pros
  • Pays well, nice, improving campus, trying to make work/life balance better (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits offered by the company, work-life balance was pretty good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Does not seem to care about work-life balance of employees (in 15 reviews)

• since its growing quickly with AZ acquisition, lots of work to do (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

93 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

More Dysfunctional Than Most

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

There is a commitment to delivering repeatable, supportable services and solutions within the operations of the company.

Cons

However, Sales Operations leadership can't blow their noses without consulting Accenture and bullies their support and services organizations for their inability to deliver. If the company took all the money they spend on the Accenture's and Deloitte's of this world and poured it into building a first rate services and support organization, and then EMPOWERED those teams, then Sales Operations wouldn't keep on making the stupid, expensive decisions they make.

Perform an audit of the Sales Operations organization and don't hire any existing external vendors to perform the audit.

Going down fast

Current Employee - Senior Scientist  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

salary, work-life balance, benefits, team members

Cons

Leadership ineptitude, CEO & leaders say one thing but middle managers and VPs are not in line, goals are constantly different from what leaders stress, DATA DOES NOT DRIVE THE PROJECT TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON MARKET AND PROFIT

Disappointed

Current Employee - Scientist I  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

NONE that I can think of at this moment

Cons

This company has utter disrespect for employee safety, especially during Hurricane Sandy. This storm is described as "unprecedented," "catastrophic," "deadly," etc. MD and DC are under states of emergencies and local and government officials are warning residents not to travel unless absolutely necessary. All schools, local and FEDERAL governments are closed. Metro and bus service is suspended. Yet MedImmune remains open. We must use vacation if we do not travel to work in these potentially dangerous conditions and wind gusts.
    Money, not safety, is their top priority. In 2011, when the DC area was hit by a 5.8 earthquake, MedImmune employees were told, "For future reference, and unless otherwise notified by EHS Personnel, employees should not evacuate their buildings." We were told to keep working, while government was encouraging employees to evacuate and stay safe.
    In a recent employee satisfaction survey, employee engagement has significantly dropped. MedImmune needs to take these results seriously and realise that employees are not satisfied with the leadership running this organisation and the poor descions being made.
    I have never worked at an establishment where my safety was put into jeopardy for their financial gain. Working from home is not an option for those of us in R&D
    Lastly, I'd like to state that the employee emergency hotline has yet to be updated today, when our state is under an emergency declaration. I have to leave my children home alone and travel to work, where absolutely nothing will get done today.
    The complete lack of leadership at this organisation in making this judgement call is staggeringly disappointing

Put employee safety first

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Director of Finance  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

The company is still going through growing pains, but everyone involved still tries to keep the same biotech environment. Great team effort across the organization.

Cons

So many buildings so far apart. Not sure how that can be resolved until total construction is completed.

A going concern

Current Employee - Director  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Reasonable pay, benefits, and ameities; generally very nice co-workers; serious responsibilities for important licensed and investigational products

Cons

Concern over rumored high turnover in personnel: Why wouldn't staff be contented and stay for many years?

Study HR patterns systematically. Figure out what factors lead good employees to look for new positions, and devise solutions to those problems to retain experienced good people.

Not the best for non-PhD

Current Employee - Associate Scientist I  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist I in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Good benefits
    Pretty good work life balance

Cons

If you want to get ahead intellectually or cross train, this is not the place

Please actually see what goes on at middle management levels- most managers lack managerial skills and there is no place to complain.

Great company for an R&D scientist

Current Employee - Scientist II  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Scientist II in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Excellent salary
    Very nice gym
    Nice buildings, grounds and facilities
    I don't know what life is like in other departments and I understand that lower level Scientist jobs can be frustrating and mundane, but I really don't understand some of the reviews I read for this company and I don't know what the folks complaining actually want. Coming from academia, I know what no work-life balance is, and Medimmune is luxurious. I never see anyone here after 6 (other than other research junkies) and on weekends you could set off a fire alarm and I think 5 people would appear. Management encourages work-life balance and we get bombarded with emails about how to take care of ourselves. They regularly do surveys on what we want to improve things, and act on it if possible (like dry cleaning, the fitness center, an ATM with no fees, in chair massage services, a medical clinic, a metro shuttle service). Then half the time, nobody ever uses them (though they complain if its taken away of course). The metro shuttle service was fantastic but we lost it because hardly anyone used it and it turned out it would cost the company less to bring us here in cabs every day. To their credit though, they really did give the service every chance and in the end arranged a compromise that, while not as good, is better than nothing.

I realise a lot of the really dissatisfied reviews comes from Associates scientists who want to advance, but I have limited sympathy after years of hard work and low wages completing a PhD and post-doctoral training. There are plenty of very capable nurses who could easily do the job of a physician, but life doesn't work like that. If you want that job, go off and get the qualification like we did. Yes, there are senior folks in research (exceptionally good ones) that did not get PhDs, but those days are over.

Like all of Pharma, Medi is struggling with finances but they are doing their best to keep the sacrifice sensible and equitable. There was a huge amount of fat here that was ready to be trimmed from what I could see and we are now getting things done far more efficiently than even 6 months ago. I really think a lot of people who have worked in industry a long time are spoiled from some good years and don't know how hard life is in the rest of the world of science.

Though it's fair to say the quality of life here is very manager-dependent. If you report to someone good, your life is a dream, if not you're screwed. There's not much back up or escape in this regard, but it's a big enough company that you can move internally, and folks who aren't happy should do that as the manager gets flagged if too many people leave their group.

I enjoy working here so much I try not to tell the ones I had to leave behind because it seems kind of cruel. Any R&D scientist who wants to work in industry would be very very happy here. ...

Cons

Some spoiled employees who don't know a good thing when they have it
    Promotions are difficult. Aim for the highest appointment possible on entry and shouldn't expect promotion within 4-5 years of joining the company.
    They treat contractors horribly
    The IT support is WOEFUL!!!

Encourage real innovation, not just more of the same.

Worked for MedImmune? Contribute to the Community!