MedImpact

Be The First To
Add Photos

MedImpact President and CEO Frederick Howe

Frederick Howe

I would have stayed if I didn't have to move.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MedImpact as a contractor

ProsGreat company. Was a good location for me. Very nice building and location. Everybody was very friendly.

ConsAcknowledging employee on job performance, not length of time with company.

Good change

I have been working at MedImpact full-time

ProsIt's California! Excellent food trucks in the parking lot daily!

ConsSome still hang on to the way it's always been and change is tough.

Great company to work for in my opinion.

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at MedImpact as a contractor for less than a year

ProsExcellent IT Project Managers willing to go the extra mile to make the System Analysts fully informed of all required information.

ConsNone to speak of in my experience. Though there is a silo type environment, but that suits a lot of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the silos, this tends to reduce creative input from the Analyst roles.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Prior Authorization Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at MedImpact full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers, pay and benefits

ConsSome people can act immature, it felt like high school at times

Advice to Senior ManagementHire or promote people who actually want to help their employees.

Job seeker, beware!

I worked at MedImpact full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are looking to build a career in PBM then this is a good place to get the experience.

ConsUnskilled and unprofessional management abound in this organization. From top to middle management they are heavily focused on looking and living the pseudo-life of corporate execs which is fed by a large bonus structure, Cuts of workforce are imminent if they see that their bonuses are not within reach. This has happened time and time again over the years and that is why there are very few who truly know their business model as they have a paper thin trail of historical employees.

The IT infrastructure is archaic and inflexible. Some of the few that built it are still there and guard it ferociously over fear of change, job security, and pure ego.

The business side is disconnected and managed, in many areas, by individuals promoted into leadership roles simply because there was no one else there to take the role when they needed it filled. The glass(door) half full observation is great potential for promotion within. The glass(door) half empty observation is a dry internal talent pool, lack of viable candidates, or both.

If you are thinking short term, and you need the work, then this is a good starting point. My advice would be to try elsewhere first.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy give advice when they won't take it?

Job is to deny services to patients in need, to limit i.e. manage pharmacy benefits

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedImpact full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay but not contributing to social need only to the accumulation of wealth by the rich.It exists to ration legitimate medical services and access to medicine for the purpose of saving employeers money and making MedImpact wealthy.

ConsPharmacy Benefit Management firms function with the intent of denying services to those in medical need for the benefit of the company's owners and those who own other companies trying to reduce services to their own employees. It serves no social need and is responsible only to the minority of rich who are interested only in greed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is pharmacy benefit management company. It does not make money by providing a service but instead by denying services to those in medical need. Patients do not bernefit from this model. Only MedImpacfgt and the Employers they serve benefit. Denying medical benefits to those in need is a low life occupation. Serve patients instead of serving your wealth and the wealth of the rich.

Pros: Excellent pay, good benefits, soft schedule; Cons: HR, Caustic vibe, awful mgmt, low morale, overhyped bonuses.

Information Technology Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedImpact full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe salary, the salary, and the salary. People take jobs here and stay here because leaving means, in most cases, a paycut. Despite people talking up how hard they're working in Costanza-fashion, employees rolling in late and skating out early is not uncommon. Benefits have gone from mediocre to good over the years--an inverse trend. As with any bad company, there are some solid worker-bees here. Nice building also, though it's all cubicles that range from small to smaller to smallest.

ConsWorking at MedImpact means giving up your soul along with any hope of job satisfaction whatsoever. You're basically whoring yourself out for the money. The company just can't seem to hire competent managers on any level. Every few years they fire everyone in management and start over, and each time the new regime is as bad or worse than the last. If you're passionate about your work this is about the worst place imaginable to be. No one wants help you out, silos are iron-clad, and micromanagment, backstabbing, and credit-taking is the name of the game. Communication from Senior leadership with employees is laughable--a couple worthless Office Space-esque all-hands meetings and that's it. The HR department is the worst I have seen in any company. Employee appreciation of any kind is nonexistent. Layoffs are not uncommon as the PBM business as a whole is just not as lucrative as it used to be, and Fred and friends have a lifestyle to maintain--which means the threat of the axe is always there. If you can put all pride and soul aside though, it's a more-than decent paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementMedImpact's reputation on the street is so baked-in there's probably nothing that can be done at this point (not that there's ever been a real show of desire to improve things). Quality management candidates pass on MedImpact, despite the pay, as routine.

Too much politics

I have been working at MedImpact full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood benefits, great location, some good people

Consridiculous politics, the higher up you go the more incestuous it becomes, beautiful new building but very sterile work environment

Advice to Senior Managementassume for just a moment that maybe you don't know it all

Pay is good but does that drive mediocrity?

Pharmacist (Former Employee)

I worked at MedImpact full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTop pay in the industry

ConsLots of office politics. Associates not motivated by values of company as they are not clearly defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspire ownership in associates by offering stock options again and the ability to submit ideas directly to senior management.

Good company, typical problems, no surprises and very predictable

I worked at MedImpact full-time

ProsOverall the company has done well and continues specifically because of the space it is in. If you network with the right people, keep your head down and don't ruffle too many feathers, you can have a long prosperous career. Have see some great success stories for some employees moving up through the ranks.

ConsHowever, the financial stability has left them at times short sighted and reactionary to adjust. Frequent layoff leaving those left behind uncertain and distracted by the fallout. Also, the reduction in force leave those remaining to pick up what is sometimes and already heavy workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the floors more. Pay more attention to employee feedback on middle management. Don't forget that the worker bees are the ones keeping the honey flowing.

Worked for MedImpact? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MedImpact reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MedImpact CEO Frederick Howe. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by MedImpact employees.