MedQuist Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014
2.1

Peter L. Masanotti

Challenging, fast-paced work environment.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor III in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor III in El Paso, TX

I worked at MedQuist full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, created my own hours at first when I was a "statutory employee", which helped with Alzheimer's mother.

Cons

No promotions. Work load was very heavy at times. Outsourced some work overseas, then short of work. No "office" friends.

Line count bar continued to be raised. No promotions. When transferred to 21 different states and various acute-care hospitals, time taken away from actual productivity because of reading each hospital's profiles and the way they wanted certain things done. Could we get the majority on the same page?

Job helped me paid my bills.

Former Employee - Operations Support Level II in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Support Level II in Franklin, TN

I worked at MedQuist full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Predictable routine daily work which becomes easier to accomplish over time.

Cons

Too many changes, ex. Acquisitions, merging, layoffs. Expecting us to do more but still getting paid the same.

Bought out my previous company

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Free Home, GA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Free Home, GA

I worked at MedQuist full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice to work from home. Like doing transcription. Benefits are good.

Cons

They laid off management people. Pay is low. Expectations for quality and production are too high.

Care more about your employees.

Good stepping stone company

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at MedQuist part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Fairly consistent workloads. Will hire new graduates and provide needed training on platform. Good quality assurance program helps with learning dictators.

Cons

Weekend work required. Often difficult to find supervisors available if you need to speak with someone quickly. Very difficult to obtain any raises/promotions. Extremely large employee base.

Comfortable work environment with occasional turbulence due to layofs.

Former Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MedQuist full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable mid level management ( for the most part in IT) . Projects were well thought out and had good industry standard development methodologies

Cons

Many recent mergers and acquisitions leading to changing objectives. When merging, each company brings different software choices to the table and trying to run them all leads to data inconsistencies and poor communication.

Focus on unifying technology platforms instead of trying to sustain disparate platforms currently in place due to mergers.

Typical corporate mentality.

I worked at MedQuist

Pros

Working at home was a plus.
    The hours were flexible.
    The transcription supervisors I had contact with were helpful for the most part.

Cons

The powers that be cared more about how many lines their employees could transcribe than anything else. I agree with the comments about sweat shops.

That would accomplish nothing...They don't listen.

Twenty plus years down the drain

Former Employee - MT, QA, Supv, MME
    Former Employee - MT, QA, Supv, MME

I worked at MedQuist full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being able to work at home and having some phenomenal, professional, yet caring coworkers

Cons

Not enough room here to list them all, but by the end of my time with the company I was making less than when I started. Corporate philosophy seemed to always be to throw a Band-Aid on a hemorrhage rather than really do the work necessary to prevent situations. People were placed in positions for which they had virtually no training or qualifications due to the constant restructuring; no matter how hard they tried, round pegs would not fit in square holes. Some of the managers were actually former clerks with virtually no medical transcription training or knowledge whatsoever! Yet they were the ones telling MTs and MMEs how to do their jobs. Virtually all the people I knew who took professional pride in their work are no longer with this company. Loyalty, integrity and hard work grew to mean nothing. It all came down to playing the game just right. Talk about "big brother" watching. It is a shame that a company we were once proud to be a part of is now an industry shame.

I'd love to see management participate on "Undercover Boss."

Run, don't walk

I worked at MedQuist full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good coffee at Norcross office.

Cons

Terrible pay.
    Management clueless about software development.
    Constant changes in direction.
    An entire division is convinced that systems should be built using PL/SQL. Seriously.

Resign.

Great at-home job

I have been working at MedQuist part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Encouraging management and flexible scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to transfer between many different accounts with different account specifics.

Make part-time required hours only 20, rather than 24.

Depressing; poor incentives and morale

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist and Editor
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist and Editor

I worked at MedQuist full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, flexible hours.

Cons

I was considered a full time empoyee and received no benefits. I was always told my production was just a hair too short of the required amount to be given benefits. It got out during a conference call that many others in my work group had also been repeatedly told this, and boy didn't management try to change the subject rather quickly! I didn't realize until leaving that this practice is illegal in my state.

Either too much work or too little. Too many changes in management, procedures, and work flow. We were used to our main account(s) and then they started routing a bunch of random jobs from other divisions into our pool, so this was a whole new and larger set of clients to try to get used to, requiring longer time on demographics on each report. They were aware of this problem, yet we were still reprimanded when our lines decreased because of it and just told to "work harder."

No holidays off unless approved as paid time off. This was deducted from your time-off pool, from which sick and vacation time also came. This was only 5 days a year on starting. It would increase with additional years worked. Also, the time accrued as you worked, so you were earning it a little at a time, rather than being given the total amount at the beginning of each year, the way other industries do.

I am not sure how much the above still applies; the policies may have changed, but it sounds doubtful from what I see in other reviews here.

Some of the immediate managers I had were decent and really did try to do what they could to improve things, others totally unsympathetic about issues faced by the MTs.

As if they would listen.