MedStar Washington Hospital Center

MedStar Washington Hospital Center Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

MedStar Washington Hospital Center President John Sullivan

John Sullivan

I work in the er and I take the people who come in with pain in there chest so I am the ekg tech

Cardio Tech (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get to meet different people and see a lot of things. It makes me feel good because I am helping people plus Washington Hospital Center has the best Cardio Doctors.

ConsIt is a very fast pace job and you have to be on point at all times

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways take care of your self and eat right to prevent Heart problems and fluids around your heart

Means well but overcome by bureaucratic inertia

RN Float Pool (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExperience and staff and second to none; they work hard and do well despite the day to day challenges.

ConsWoeful IT infrastructure, supplies are hit and miss. Management is always at odds with union, especially during contract negotiation times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees well and unions are not necessary.

Great place to gain work experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work atmosphere, good benefits

ConsNo room for growth. No sense of job security as there are major layoffs every year. Parking here is also very difficult.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All about the show and not about the performance...

Pros-Nurses are represented by a union
    -Level-one trauma facility, great experience with the sickest population

Cons-Management doesn't seem to care about nurses, working conditions, supplies; its all about the brand and image, they'll throw you under the bus at any opportunity

opportunity to achive new goals

Environmental Service Aide (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLearning new things and meeting new and different people on a daily basis

Conshaving to deal with budget cuts and lay offs

Highly political.

Clinical Nurse III (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere! This hospital sees everything under the sun. I feel fortunate that my education and experiences have grown so much by working here. My co-workers (nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists, clerks, etc.) make a great team, too.

ConsIt's a high pressure environment, not only because of acuity, but also because of staffing issues. The culture here is very political because of management-union relations. Experiences vary widely based on your unit. And ICUs seem to take priority for staffing, which is problematic if you don't actually work in an ICU.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a better staffing matrix. Improve your mandatory cancellation policy. Make your staff feel indispensable.

Has been solid employment with extremely rocky experiences!

Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTo get a paycheck only.

ConsDealing everyday with arrogant attitudes of management and doctors and the fact that you are just an employee when it comes to patients

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the "little people" a lot more. Appreciate what they contribute to this organization!

A wonderful learning experience from a family of professionals

Tech (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis is a level one trauma facility where you get to see it all. You experience everything from gunshots/stabbings to heart attacks/strokes and rare cancer/disorders. If you want variety...
    The benefits are great and the people you work with are family.
    They work hard to provide staff with the latest technology.

ConsCan be a bit of a 'boys club'... the opportunity for advancement is based little on skill but more on who you know. It does feel a bit understaffed at times but I think that is true everywhere. Parking is poor. The place is clean but needs to step it up a bit.

Very political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good pay, nice co-workers.

ConsVery difficult for minorities to advance into management positions, lots of politics, low employee morale, over-worked employees. Lots of CYA going on....used to be a good place to work but not anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a new president. Current president is shady and does not know how to run the hospital. Physicians are grossly over paid and are not productive.

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to gain a lot of experience in the field in the short time period I was there. It is very team driven.

ConsIt can be a tad overwhelming in the departments with the overflow

Worked for MedStar Washington Hospital Center? Contribute to the Community!