MedStar Washington Hospital Center

MedStar Washington Hospital Center President John Sullivan
John Sullivan

Wonderful

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and grow

Cons

Very big and is hard to stand out in the crowd.

WHC

Former Employee - Senior Technologist  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

Pros

Excellent learning environment/exciting work atmosphere.

Cons

Dealing with trauma on multiple levels

keep loyal employees.

Miserable

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay. Which is why the majority of staff that commute long distances work there

Cons

I was an RN in a specialty unit as well as a low level manager there:
    - high work load with little institutional support in terms of equipment and personel
    - employees that are unfriendly and abusive... if you are polite (ie. say "please" and "thank you") others take it as a sign of weakness and try to take advantage of you. The only way to get things done there is to be as rude as everyone else is
    - the facilities are delapidated and dirty (unless you work in a unit that makes the hospital money). For example, for the first 2 - 3 years that I worked there we would admit critical care patients without enough reliably functioning monitors. Our upper management was well aware of this. When the monitors were finally replaced they replaced them with used equipment that was marginally more servicable
    - revolving door of all management with no stability.... the only ones that were allowed to stick around were the ones that were hired from the inside and sucessfully maintained the status quo by not rocking the boat of senior union staff or attracting the attention of their own higher ups.
    - a union contract that is abusive to anyone there less than 10 years: on the last contract that I was there for, junior staff was handed a cut in differential pay while the senior staff maintained their differential pay as well as recieved their yearly raise.
    - overt racism: when I first started working there I noticed that some of the staff would referr to unidentified black patients as "Jan".... imagine my surprise when I found out later that this was an acronym for "Just Another N-word". They stopped saying that around me, but I am not foolish enough to think that it stopped all together.
    - institutional racism many non-white workers but very few if any non-white upper level management. Also, ther is a large amount of white suburban/ rural staff that travels to work for higher wages in the city and the local largly non-white patient and staff population don't always play nice in the sandbox and I witnessed many "us v. them" conversations and situations
    - management and the union are too focused on battleing one another for them to spend money, time, or concern on the front line staff
    - Poor worker moral... any wonder why? It is infectious and palpable.

Hire management from the outside that the staff can trust and allow them to hire and support a junior staff that will be loyal to them, not the union. Stop fighting the unions and spend all the time, money, and emotional equitly currently spent on lawsuits and staffing during strikes on a junior staff that the union is abusing. Get this junior staff to revolt against the status quo and maybe, just maybe the hospital will turn around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great opportunity to advance in my career with the skill sets I had and acquire new ones.

Former Employee - Patient Access Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Patient Access Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It has great job opportunities,the best medical benefits, education and pay is not bad at all but most of all you meet some lifelong friends and comrades.

Cons

because its a hospital your always expected to be there rain, sleet, snow or shine and that doesn't always work out for employees

Disorganized.

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The work schedule was flexible--no real deadlines.

Cons

There was no parking available. Hired everyone as contractors because they didn't want to give benefits.

Means well but overcome by bureaucratic inertia

Current Employee - RN Float Pool  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - RN Float Pool in Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience and staff and second to none; they work hard and do well despite the day to day challenges.

Cons

Woeful IT infrastructure, supplies are hit and miss. Management is always at odds with union, especially during contract negotiation times.

Treat your employees well and unions are not necessary.

Great place to gain work experience

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

Pros

Great work atmosphere, good benefits

Cons

No room for growth. No sense of job security as there are major layoffs every year. Parking here is also very difficult.

All about the show and not about the performance...

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center

Pros

-Nurses are represented by a union
    -Level-one trauma facility, great experience with the sickest population

Cons

-Management doesn't seem to care about nurses, working conditions, supplies; its all about the brand and image, they'll throw you under the bus at any opportunity

I work in the er and I take the people who come in with pain in there chest so I am the ekg tech

Former Employee - Cardio Tech  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cardio Tech in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to meet different people and see a lot of things. It makes me feel good because I am helping people plus Washington Hospital Center has the best Cardio Doctors.

Cons

It is a very fast pace job and you have to be on point at all times

Always take care of your self and eat right to prevent Heart problems and fluids around your heart

Highly political.

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse III  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Clinical Nurse III in Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere! This hospital sees everything under the sun. I feel fortunate that my education and experiences have grown so much by working here. My co-workers (nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists, clerks, etc.) make a great team, too.

Cons

It's a high pressure environment, not only because of acuity, but also because of staffing issues. The culture here is very political because of management-union relations. Experiences vary widely based on your unit. And ICUs seem to take priority for staffing, which is problematic if you don't actually work in an ICU.

Consider a better staffing matrix. Improve your mandatory cancellation policy. Make your staff feel indispensable.

Worked for MedStar Washington Hospital Center? Contribute to the Community!