MedStar Washington Hospital Center

MedStar Washington Hospital Center Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

MedStar Washington Hospital Center President John Sullivan

John Sullivan

A wonderful learning experience from a family of professionals

Tech (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis is a level one trauma facility where you get to see it all. You experience everything from gunshots/stabbings to heart attacks/strokes and rare cancer/disorders. If you want variety...
The benefits are great and the people you work with are family.
They work hard to provide staff with the latest technology.

ConsCan be a bit of a 'boys club'... the opportunity for advancement is based little on skill but more on who you know. It does feel a bit understaffed at times but I think that is true everywhere. Parking is poor. The place is clean but needs to step it up a bit.

Has been solid employment with extremely rocky experiences!

Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTo get a paycheck only.

ConsDealing everyday with arrogant attitudes of management and doctors and the fact that you are just an employee when it comes to patients

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the "little people" a lot more. Appreciate what they contribute to this organization!

Don't Do It CRM Department

Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are great co-workers in other department. They are friendly.

ConsThis department has a VERY high turnover primarily because of management of the department. The managers are very unprofessional in speech and attire. They are not supportive and uncaring. The salary is very low compared to the amount of work required. Long hours and mandatory evening and weekend work w/ no overtime compensation. Those requiring supervision for the clinical license will be waiting a while. It will not be earned in 2 yrs. There is little to no career advancement in this dept. Position is 99% discharge planning and not really social work. You have to beg to take off of work. Don't be fooled RUN!!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf this department constantly has people leaving and there is one common factor management why isn't anything done about it?!? In addition, years of experience do not always make effective managers and leaders. Management clearly turns a blind eye to this department they clearly do not know what's really going on. They should ask the social workers in the department of their experiences.

Very political

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, good pay, nice co-workers.

ConsVery difficult for minorities to advance into management positions, lots of politics, low employee morale, over-worked employees. Lots of CYA going on....used to be a good place to work but not anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a new president. Current president is shady and does not know how to run the hospital. Physicians are grossly over paid and are not productive.

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center as an intern for less than a year

ProsI was able to gain a lot of experience in the field in the short time period I was there. It is very team driven.

ConsIt can be a tad overwhelming in the departments with the overflow

Loved the people I worked with, the work environment and treatment of some staff, not so much

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center part-time for more than a year

ProsThe nurses and doctors are the absolute best on the neonatal units. Smart, kind, attentive, and hard-working.

ConsDuring my employment there were two strikes by the nurses because of conflicts between them and Medstar. They were not always treated as they should have been and the turnover rate was extremely high.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your nurses!

Patient safety is an issue, get to see a lot

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

ProsGood variety of patient diagnoses, diverse staff, good benefits, good support from union

ConsAt times RN to patient ratios are concerning, at one point charge RN had 5 patients (not the first time I've seen it happen), unsupportive and occasionally bullying management, no monetary benefits from being charge RN or preceptor

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to associates' suggestions and act on them, don't hate the union, adequately staff your floors because patient safety is constantly an issue, be more careful about bullying new associates

Good place to work

Financial Clearance Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, chance for educational development with classes offered, have some great doctors and knowledgeable.

ConsWatch everything you do, not enough staff to help patients, Staff is not that professional in some departments. Hard to make advancements unless you know someone in that department. Lots of drama in certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust staff to do the job esp when you tell them exactly what to do, but don't give them the confidence they need to make sure the job is completed correctly.

Good for resume building; not good for long term employment.

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting work; stimulating environment; complex cases.

ConsHeavy workload; resources not always available.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about staff.

Washington Hospital Center does not have enough staff and I am concerned about patient safety.

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits are good and the union is trying to improve patient safety.

ConsManagement does not care about employees. I was continually threatened "if you don't do this you will be disciplined" and the rules changed daily. I feared something untoward would happen to my patients every shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. You don't know what really goes on here.

Worked for MedStar Washington Hospital Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MedStar Washington Hospital Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MedStar Washington Hospital Center CEO John Sullivan . All 36 reviews posted anonymously by MedStar Washington Hospital Center employees.